Error "stpolicy.exe has terminated abnormally" appears on Domino console
Occasionally, there are a large number of errors appearing on the console that relate to stpolicy.exe. It appears to indicate a crash in the stpolicy task. The error that repeats is as follows:
Stpolicy.exe has terminated abnormally.
The error has been known to occur in multiple situations, for example, when a server is upgraded to Lotus Sametime 7.5 or in some cases when restarting after a crash or hang.
Resolving the problem
If using Sametime 7.5, make sure the following JVM argument is provided under the [Policy] section of sametime.ini file:
POLICY_VM_ARGS=-Xmx128m -Xms128m -Xgcpolicy:optavgpause
This setting is included by default in Sametime 8.0 and later.
If the error occurs after a crash, hang, or other interruption of service, then take these steps to resolve the error:
- Shut down the Domino or Sametime server by executing the quit command.
- Using Task manager, if nnotesmm.exe still exists, terminate it.
- Delete the pid.nbf file from the data directory
- Restart the server.
In a few cases, this error occurred because stpolicy.nsf was corrupt. To address the corruption, try these steps:
- Run maintenance tasks (for example, fixup) on stpolicy.nsf. Refer to Sametime Community server database maintenance (#1373171).
- Restore stpolicy.nsf from backup. Or in a clustered environment, you could pull a new replica from another working server.
- Create a new stpolicy.nsf database using the template stpolicy.ntf. To do so, copy the template to a local Notes workstation, create the new database locally, then copy to the server. After that, you need to configure policies again.
Translate this page: