IBM® WebSphere® Application Server ships separate Application Server and application client packages.
Is it possible to install different versions of the Client and Server?
What combinations are supported? Please see example below. All other versions can be found in the
Supported prerequisites link below.
WebSphere Application Server application client can communicate in the following supported configurations:
- The application client works with the Application Server of the same version.
- The Application Client works with the previous version of the Application Server; that is, X-1.
For example, the V7.0 client works with the V6.1 (all versions), V6.0.2, 6.0 and so on.
- J2EE™ application client
- Applet client
- ActiveX to EJB bridge client
- Pluggable application client
- Thin application client
For WebSphere Application Server V4.0 versions, only the applet client, the J2EE application client, and the thin application client are available.
The application client is shipped as a separate CD; however, some versions of the Application Client are available primarily as downloads from Passport Advantage.
For additional details on supported configurations, refer to the documentation provided at the following links:
- WebSphere Application Server - Supported prerequisites and APIs:
- WebSphere Application Server Library:
The application client package incorporates all components required for Enterprise Edition, Network Deployment and Base implementations of WebSphere Application Server.
Application Client Functions
MustGather for Application Client