Announcing an updated strategy for delivering Cumulative Fixes for IBM WebSphere Application Server V5.0 and V5.1 releases.
Resolving the problem
|Cumulative Fix Strategy overview|
|Cumulative fix details|
|Recommended upgrade path|
|PDF printable format|
Cumulative Fix Strategy overview:
WebSphere Application Server Support is delivering this strategy to provide a clear upgrade path that reduces the risk of installing collections of Application Server fixes.
This is in response to requests for published collections of fixes that are:
- Delivered in a timely manner
- Tested together
- Without new features or behavioral changes
Back to Top
Cumulative Fix details:
- Delivery will be timely (every 12 weeks). The date of the next planned Cumulative Fix will be published in Recommended Updates at least 30 days before availability.
- There is a single list of all defects for each release, that is updated for each new Cumulative Fix and Fix Pack.
- Install on top of either a specific Fix Pack with no Cumulative Fix applied or a Fix Pack with any previous Cumulative Fix installed (18.104.22.168 could be applied to 5.0.2 or 22.214.171.124).
- New Java™ SDK Service Releases are tested with the latest Cumulative Fix, but delivered separately. Java SDK Service Releases are included in Fix Packs.
- The Update Installer, Plug-in and Edge components are delivered in each Cumulative Fix, but are also published separately for your convenience.
- Superseded Cumulative Fixes will be withdrawn, with the two latest Cumulative Fixes available. For example, 126.96.36.199 supersedes 188.8.131.52. When 184.108.40.206 was published 220.127.116.11 was withdrawn.
Types of solutions provided for WebSphere Application Server
Characteristics of Each Solution
Back to Top
Choose the appropriate upgrade solution and verify that the needed individual fixes are included in Cumulative Fixes or Fix Packs:
- Review Recommended Updates to help you plan upgrades.
- In order to ensure quality Cumulative Fixes and Fix Packs, individual fixes that become available late in the development cycle may NOT be included in a Cumulative Fix and Fix Pack.
- In cases where individual fixes are not included in a Cumulative Fix or Fix Pack, these fixes will be uninstalled and need to be installed again after the Cumulative Fix or Fix Pack is installed.
- The historyInfo utility lists the history of installed and uninstalled fixes.
Upgrade options for WebSphere Application Server
Back to Top
Recommended upgrade path:
- Upgrade to latest Cumulative Fix for current Fix Pack in order to proactively avoid problems already resolved within WebSphere Application Server.
- Upgrade to the latest Fix Pack only when there is time in the development schedule for a full regression test of your application.
- Below is an upgrade scenario where Fix Packs and Cumulative Fixes are installed as soon as they are available:
Back to Top
- Register to receive a weekly My Support e-mail summarizing available updates
- Recommended Updates for WebSphere Application Server Base and Network Deployment Editions
- Recommended Updates for IBM HTTP Server
PDF printable format:
|Application Servers||WebSphere Application Server Enterprise||General||Multi-Platform||5.0.2||Edition Independent|
|Application Servers||WebSphere Application Server||Install||Multi-Platform||5.0.x, 5.x||Edition Independent|
|Application Servers||WebSphere Application Server Enterprise||EE Install||All Platforms||18.104.22.168, 5.0.3, 5.1||Edition Independent|
|Application Servers||WebSphere Application Server - Express||PTFs & interim fixes|
|Business Integration||WebSphere Business Integration Server Foundation||General|
|Application Servers||Runtimes for Java Technology||Java SDK|