Utility: Feature Pack for Web Services for WebSphere Application Server V6.1
IBM WebSphere Application Server Feature Packs are optionally installable product extensions that offer targeted, incremental new features.
IBM WebSphere Application Server V6.1 Feature Pack for Web Services extends the capabilities of Application Server V6.1 to enable Web Services messages to be sent asynchronously, reliably, and securely, focusing on interoperability with other vendors.
Through support for key Web Services standards, you can send messages:
- Reliably - be confident that your message will reach its destination
- Asynchronously - communicate reliably even if one of the parties is temporarily off-line, busy, or unobtainable
- Securely – rest assured your messages are not vulnerable to attack
- Interoperably – flexibility to interoperate with other vendors’ offerings
Programming model enhancements simplify application development through support of a standard, annotation-based model to develop Web Service providers and clients. A common set of binding rules for XML and Java™ makes it easy to incorporate XML data and processing functions in Java applications, and a further set of enhancements helps you send binary attachments, such as images or files, along with your Web Services requests in an optimal way.
Consumable and Extensible
Simplified management using Web Services profiles makes it easy to configure and reuse configurations, so you can introduce new Web Services profiles seamlessly in the future.
These configurations are captured in a grouping called Policy Sets which allows a user to select and associate with an application different qualities of service. These Policy Sets can be configured to just allow those capabilities within a given WS-Interoperability (WS-I) profile (thereby limiting/ensuring that the only configurable portions are just those that are desired). WS-I is an open industry organization chartered to promote Web Services interoperability across platforms, operating systems and programming languages. For more information on WS-I, visit http://www.ws-i.org/
What is offered in the WebSphere Application Server V6.1 Feature Pack for Web Services?
Support for new Web Services standards, including:
- Web Services Reliable Messaging (WS-RM)
- Web Services Addressing (WS-Addressing)
- SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM)
- Web Services Secure Conversations (WS-SC)
- New standards-based programming model support:
- Java API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS 2.0)
- Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB 2.0)
- SOAP with Attachments API for Java (SAAJ 1.3)
- Streaming API for XML (StAX 1.0)
Any hardware that supports WebSphere Application Server V6.1 or higher
WebSphere Application Server V6.1
Feature Pack Web Services version 6.1
- WebSphere Application Server Feature Pack for Web Services
- Feature Pack for Web Services (zOS ++APARs)
WebSphere Application Server/Feature Pack for Web Services
Feature Packs by Version
Access Feature Packs by version as they become available
More support for:
WebSphere Application Server
Software version: 6.1
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, IBM i, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Software edition: Feature Pack for Web Services
Reference #: 1264563
Modified date: 29 June 2007