CB11: CICS Events for WebSphere Business Events
SupportPac CB11 enables events to be emitted from CICS TS in a format for consumption by WebSphere Business Events, allowing CICS to participate in event processing solutions.
This SupportPac has been updated to version 1.1. See details of version 1.1 and upgrade to this new version as soon as possible to take advantage of the new features.
This SupportPac enables CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) V3, or CICS TS V4.1, to be a source of events to IBM WebSphere Business Events, and to participate in event processing solutions, such as detection of patterns between events from CICS TS and from other sources.
In order to emit an event using this SupportPac, a small change to existing CICS application code is required. New code (examples are provided in the SupportPac documentation) must be inserted at a suitable point in the application processing where the event of interest occurs. The event can then be emitted. The program code supplied by the SupportPac is called through an EXEC CICS LINK, passing event details in a channel.
Event processing support that will allow events to be emitted without application change is available starting in CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.1. So, if using CICS TS V4.1 or higher, IBM recommends that you use the Support for event processing that is built into the product rather than this SupportPac.
This SupportPac will format the event information into XML conforming to WebSphere Business Events format and emit the event to WebSphere Business Events through the WebSphere MQ transport. WebSphere Business Events can then be used to include the event in interaction blocks and carry out correlation and pattern matching.
This SupportPac provides example emission events from CICS TS. It allows the user to start identifying the places in processing within CICS applications where significant business events occur, and to see how the power of WebSphere Business Events can be harnessed to carry out correlation and pattern matching on these events.
Examples of use include:
- Gaining visibility into CICS processing by displaying the events on a dashboard, such as the dashboard provided by WebSphere Business Events or using IBM WebSphere Business Monitor.
- Identify potential compliance problems by detecting suspicious patterns of events; for example, an order for a new credit card shortly after a change of address request.
- Respond quickly to business opportunities by defining interaction sets in WebSphere Business Events which react to promising events; for example, introducing a new offer which will be called when any customer places two orders within a week.
Banking Scenario Example
This scenario demonstrates how the SupportPac might be used in a typical business application. The scenario shows an interaction defined using the WebSphere Business Events user interfaces, to watch for a suspicious activity in a customer bank account.
Skill Level Required
Requires simple application changes to be made, to set up a channel and containers, and to link to the SupportPac program for each event point. Requires the ability to configure the system to send the event messages from CICS TS to WebSphere Business Events (as per instructions provided in the SupportPac). Requires the ability to specify the events to be received by WebSphere Business Events, and to define the desired interaction sets to detect patterns of events etc. (as per examples provided in the SupportPac).
If you have a problem with this SupportPac, see the associated Collect troubleshooting (MustGather) document for troubleshooting tips and to determine what documentation is needed to diagnose your problem before contacting the CICS support team.
Providing Feedback to IBM on CICS Events for WebSphere Business Events
IBM would like to hear your views about this SupportPac and what you would like to see it deliver in future versions. To tell IBM about yourself and let IBM know what you think, contact the CICS Events team by e-mail.
What's New in Version 1.1
This new version of the SupportPac includes enhancements that provide greater compatibility with the new event processing support introduced in CICS TS V4.1 (see IBM software announcement 209-135). You are strongly advised to upgrade to the latest version of this SupportPac.
The enhancements in version 1.1 include:
- The SupportPac is now enabled to run on CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) V4.1, for migration purposes.
- A new compatibility option is introduced which, when turned on, will ensure that events emitted using the SupportPac will be compatible with events emitted to WebSphere Business Events using the 'non-invasive' event support in CICS TS V4.1. You are recommended to take advantage of this compatibility option.
- Support for a wider range of data types is provided, by removing the need to specify an explicit data type in the events sent to WebSphere Business Events, allowing this to be controlled by the WebSphere Business Events definitions.
- There are advantages to customers of CICS TS V4.1 in migrating events which are currently emitted using the SupportPac over to the new event emission mechanism provided in CICS TS V4.1. The documentation provides details of these advantages, and information on carrying out the migration.
Author: Gillian Curwen et al, CICS Development, IBM Hursley Park, UK.
Current Version: 1.1
- CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V3, or CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.1.
- WebSphere Business Events (WBE) V18.104.22.168, or later.
- A supported version of WebSphere MQ for z/OS.
- WebSphere Platform Messaging, available as part of the WebSphere Application Server which ships with WBE, or WebSphere MQ on the distributed system where WBE runs.
To download the SupportPac:
1. Click on the FTP link below and save the compressed file to your local machine.
2. Extract the saved file to a temporary directory on your target machine. This will create the necessary installation files.
3. Follow the instructions in the included documentation to complete installation of this SupportPac.
|Download||RELEASE DATE||LANGUAGE||SIZE(Bytes)||Download Options|
|CB11 Documentation (PDF)||01/05/2009||US English||737298||FTP|
SupportPacs in this category are available at no charge to all licensed users of the CICS family products on the platforms specified in the SupportPac description. They are supplied under the standard terms and conditions of the IBM International Program License Agreement (IPLA) and of the associated License Information and other documentation, and provide a defect correction entitlement for those licensed users entitled to service for CICS family products. Service is available for this SupportPac for as long as the CICS product with which the SupportPac is to be used is generally supported by IBM. In addition, IBM reserves the right to discontinue service on this SupportPac when it is withdrawn from marketing by IBM.
Please read the license file that accompanies the SupportPac, to determine if you want to use it.
Other CICS SupportPacs
To view the complete portfolio of CICS SupportPacs, go to the CICS SupportPacs Home Page
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server