IBM ILOG Optimization products have bolstered decision making in the energy and utilities industry for many years. Continuous improvements in computational algorithms and hardware make IBM optimization tools more powerful than ever. Rapidly build and solve the complex optimization models that address the critical issues faced in today’s rapidly evolving energy markets.
Challenges facing the energy and utility industry today
- These industries are among the largest sources of carbon emissions worldwide, and any strategy for reducing emissions will heavily impact them.
- In many parts of the world, delivery infrastructures, power transmission lines and gas pipelines are overtaxed, as investments have not kept pace with growing demand and aging equipment.
- Market reforms have replaced traditional, centrally-based planning and control with decentralized, market-based processes and institutions.
- Massive investments in enterprise information technology have not yet fulfilled their promises of better asset management and more agility in the face of large-scale change.
Make better decisions faster
IBM ILOG Optimization technology supports better decision-making to address these challenges faced today:
- Resource planning – Determine long-term investments in supply- and demand-side resources to meet your customers’ demands and reliability targets cost effectively, while complying with emission limits and additional requirements.
- Unit commitment and economic dispatch – Select bids and schedule power generators to cost-effectively meet hourly demands, taking full advantage of renewable resources and available storage.
- Hydro and thermal scheduling – Make the best use of seasonal water availability and balance the trade-offs among power generation, irrigation, recreation, fisheries and other uses.
- Optimal power flow and security-constrained dispatch – Ensure your generators serve loads at the lowest cost, while effectively using available transmission and operating securely in the face of multiple contingencies.
- Network planning – Ensure your electric transmission and substation capacities or your gas pipeline and compressor capacities meet the needs of multiple producers and numerous delivery points.
- Contract and risk management – Enable profitable bidding while limiting price and volume risks to acceptable levels.
- Power market simulation – Test policies and rules for efficiency and effectiveness in providing adequate resources, price stability, and market power mitigation.
- Nuclear plant outage scheduling – Make maximum use of refueling outages to perform critical maintenance in a safe manner, while ensuring fast return to service.
The benefits of IBM ILOG Optimization
IBM optimization tools find non-obvious solutions, maximizing value and minimizing costs while observing the many complex requirements and limitations of modern energy and power system operations. IBM ILOG Optimization shifts the cost-performance frontier for your system, providing better performance for less. And IBM ILOG Optimization produces quantifiable benefits to your bottom line—often with payback in less than a year.
Automating decision processes decreases response time—necessary in today’s accelerating markets—and allows operators and planners to focus on critical complexities rather than on routine issues.
Faster, lower cost development and maintenance
The high-level modeling tools in the IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio help engineers code and validate models with less time and effort than traditional programming languages, and by increasing the transparency of the model, it makes maintaining and upgrading the systems easier and more reliable.
Quickly turn information into action
IBM ILOG Optimization leverages your investments in enterprise information technology.