To install the IBM HTTP Server:
- Ensure you have the IBM Developer Kit, Java Technology Edition Version
1.4, installed on your machine.
This Developer Kit ships with
the WebSphere Application Server on the CD and is available from the
following Web site: http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk.
- For AIX, ensure that you have the xlC.rte 6.0 runtime. This is a prerequisite
of GSKit7. You can download this runtime from https://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/aix.fdc.
- Create a new directory to uncompress the IBM HTTP Server install image.
- Download the IBM HTTP Server install image.
- Uncompress the install image in this new directory. For example, if
the compressed file name is IHS.tar or IHS.zip,
type tar -xf IHS.tar or use a zip utility.
A listing of the following files appears, based on your operating
- A GSKit run-time executable:
- AIX: gskta.rte
- HP-UX: gsk7bas directory
- Linux for Intel: gsk7bas_295-7.0-1.10.i386.rpm
- Linux for S/390: gsk7bas-7.0-1.10.s390.rpm
- Linux for PowerPC: gsk7bas-7.0.-1.10.ppc32.rpm
- Solaris: gsk7bas directory
- Windows: skit directory
- Go to the directory where you uncompressed the install image and type
java -jar setup.jar.
If the system cannot find the java.exe
file, set your path to point to the Java product installed on your machine.
For example: Set your path to: export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java14/java/bin
before running: java -jar setup.jar.
You can also choose to do a silent installation. To do a silent installation,
type: java -jar setup.jar -silent -options silent.res.
To customize the install options, edit the silent.res text file. All
options are set to true by default. To disable an
option, set its value to false.
- Choose the language in which to run the installation.
The Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for the IBM HTTP Server
- Click Next. The license agreement appears.
- Click I accept the terms of the license agreement,
or I do not accept the terms of the license agreement.
- Click Next.
- Specify the directory name. The default directories follow:
- AIX: /usr/IBMIHS/
- HP_UX: /opt/IBMIHS/
- Linux: /opt/IBMHIHS/
- Linux for S/390: /opt/IBMIHS/
- Linux for PowerPC: /opt/IBMIHS/
- Solaris: /opt/IBMIHS/
- Windows: skit directory 2.0\
- Click Next.
The option appears for you to perform a typical, custom, or developer
- Select the type of installation you would like to perform:
- Custom: Enables you to select multiple language installations
- Developer: Non-administrator
- Click Next.
If you selected the typical installation, a list appears with everything
included in the installation, along with the size of the image.
If you selected the custom installation, a list of components appears
and you can clear the box next to the components you do not want to
- Click Next. The following message appears: Installing
IBM HTTP Server. Please wait. You can click Cancel
to stop the installation.
The message Updating the inventory appears. You can
click Cancel to stop the inventory update.
- Click Finish.
You can now install in any path,
on UNIX platforms, and can have more than one installation for the same
To uninstall the IBM HTTP Server:
- Go to the directory where you installed the IBM HTTP Server. Change to the _uninst directory, located
in the root directory.
- Type java -jar uninstall.jar on all platforms.
You can also choose to do a silent uninstall. To do a silent uninstall, type java -jar uninstall.jar -silent
The uninstall process on UNIX systems does not automatically uninstall the GSKit. You have to uninstall the
GSKit manually by using the native uninstall method.
(Back to the top)