Increase the speed of testing, reduce costs and shorten time to market of business applications
In today’s software development environment, testers are routinely pressured to accelerate the testing phases in order to place software into production more quickly. However, their productivity is inhibited by the multitude of manual steps required to create each unique test configuration. Manual steps are error-prone and often result in repetitive errors throughout testing phases, ultimately resulting in costly rebuilds, missed deadlines and slower time to market.
Software testers need a comprehensive solution to help provision the testing infrastructure, avoid errors, reduce labor costs, optimize use of testing resources and speed business application delivery.
IBM Tivoli® Provisioning Manager offers the ideal solution to help testers automatically provision different environments throughout the testing life cycle — from building and testing to tear-down and rebuild — by converting manual provisioning activities into repeatable, error-free automation routines. Tivoli Provisioning Manager can help you:
Tivoli Provisioning Manager now integrates with Rational Test Lab Manager to provide more value in test environments. Rational Test Lab Manger is part of the Rational Quality Manager offering and enables development organizations to increase the utilization of their lab assets by consolidating accurate up-to-date information about the assets in the lab. Tivoli Provisioning Manager will provide an OPAL plug-in which will be used by Rational Test Lab Manager to implement two extension points: one for inventory awareness and a second for automation. The inventory awareness capability will allow Rational Test Lab Manager to pull data from Tivoli Provisioning Manager about managed systems and then create automation tasks for these systems. The automation capability will provide Rational Test Lab Manager the ability to call Tivoli Provisioning Manager to get the list of automation packages it can provide, to execute the automation workflows, and to get the results of the deployment execution. This integration will make it easier to optimize test environments by automating the provisioning process for users of Rational Test Lab Manager.
These advantages can be especially helpful in organizations that have mission-critical, internal applications that must be refreshed often and quickly to maintain a competitive edge.
- Tivoli Beat: Optimizing your Test Environment Is Central to Quality Software
- Solution Brief: “Optimizing a Test Environment” (PDF, 473KB)
- Case Study: “IBM Tivoli Development Labs to reap more than $2 million savings with release management initiative” (PDF, 159KB)
- White Paper: “Optimize change and release management for complex, dynamically changing IT environments” (PDF, 288KB)
- Data Sheet: “Tivoli Provisioning Manager” (PDF, 744KB)
- Video: “Software Deployment Process Control” (YouTube, 00:01:27)
- Product Page: “Tivoli Provisioning Manager product information” (YouTube, 00:00:00)
- Demo: “Test Center Automation using TPM 5.1”