In response to customer and sales feedback, IBM continually focuses on improving and simplifying remote software support terms and conditions for our distributed software products and making it easier for our customers to access IBM's best of competition support.
IBM's software support strategy combines software subscription (upgrade protection) and remote technical support in a single, easy-to-buy feature called Software Maintenance. To ensure our customers always have access to the latest version of their software and to remote technical support, Software Maintenance is included in the license acquisition for all distributed software products.
This software acquisition model is implemented worldwide for distributed software products acquired through the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement and Passport Advantage Express programs. Software acquisitions, via these programs, can be purchased from IBM Business Partners or IBM directly.
Key features of the software acquisition model include:
- A common structure for the licensing of IBM distributed software products including, but not limited to, DB2, WebSphere, Lotus, Tivoli and Rational
- All software licenses now include Software Maintenance (defined as Software Subscription
and Remote Technical Support)
- Ability to access new IBM Software versions and releases as they become generally available as long as Software Maintenance is current
- Ability to access Remote Technical Support
- Enhanced technical support features included in Software Maintenance
- Enhanced electronic support features
- Enhanced self-help, navigation and advanced search capabilities of our knowledge base
- One common worldwide electronic problem submission tool, known as Electronic Service Request (ESR) for distributed software
- Always open for business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week