Published on 03-Nov-2011
Validated on 03 Jun 2013
"The highly knowledgeable consultants at PREDICTif understand business intelligence. That’s why they recommended IBM Cognos technology to fit our business needs, technology that we are very happy with. IBM Cognos Express is intuitive, can be owned and managed by the business, and has amazing reporting, planning, and dashboard features. It also happens to be one of the best bargains on the market." - Jay Krishnamurthy, Vice President-IT, J. B. Poindexter and Co.
J. B. Poindexter and Co.
Fabrication & Assembly, Industrial Products
Business-to-Business, Business Intelligence, Optimizing IT
IBM Business Partner:
J. B. Poindexter & Co., Inc. is a privately held, diversified manufacturing company with more than 4,000 employees located at over 35 facilities throughout North America. The majority of its business is centered around the transportation-related manufacturing sector, with operating subsidiaries engaged in the production of commercial van bodies, step-vans, funeral coaches, limousines, mid-sized buses, pick-up truck bed enclosures and tonneau covers, precision machined components and expandable foam plastics.
After undergoing a period of significant expansion, J. B. Poindexter and Co. was finding it difficult to consistently manage its diverse array of reporting systems. Additionally, the company’s existing planning and reporting processes were outmoded and inefficient, making it difficult to obtain crucial business information.
J. B. Poindexter and Co. worked with PREDICTif Solutions, an IBM Business Partner, to streamline its reporting and planning systems through the implementation of IBM Cognos Express. The cost-effective IBM solution provides J. B. Poindexter with a tailor-made, highly intelligent system that offers intuitive budgeting, forecasting, and reporting capabilities.
• Reduced manual reporting workload for individual business units by over 200 percent. • Increased productivity by 100-125 percent.
• Upgraded and consolidated budgeting, forecasting, and reporting systems into one easy-to-use solution. • Reduced manual reporting workload for individual business units by over 200 percent. • Generated consolidated, standardized reports (including product line costs and margins) quickly and efficiently, helping users make better business decisions. • Created easy-to-use reporting dashboards across all business units and corporate units, so that all levels of management can assess performance and risk information in real time. • Increased productivity by 100-125 percent.
J. B. Poindexter and Co. operates with a decentralized management and operating structure. Subsidiaries have complete operational, financial and administrative responsibility, with professional and executive management support provided by corporate staff.
In the last few years, in addition to considerable internal growth, J. B. Poindexter & Co. has expanded through the acquisition of six separate business units. As each unit maintained its own staff, product lines and customers, as well as its own ERP system, reporting processes were difficult to manage. The business and corporate units had limited visibility into crucial arenas, such as performance at plant levels, costs, margins, overhead, and material savings. Due to the nature of their growth, they lacked consistency in information and standardization processes.
In addition, the company’s existing information reporting and planning processes were antiquated and inefficient. Relying on manual, labor-intensive processes such as spreadsheet formatting, the analysis of crucial business information was often inconsistent and difficult to come by in a timely manner.
J. B. Poindexter & Co. needed a way to upgrade its outdated system into an automated, consolidated, and standardized one. That way, corporate and business units would be able to view crucial information quickly and easily at both a detailed and broad level, allowing them to manage the business effectively and respond to any potential problems or risks immediately.
• Leverage PREDICTif’s recognized experience and expertise to implement a business intelligence solution tailored to J. B. Poindexter and Co.’s needs.
• Purchase multiple IBM Cognos Express modules.
• Consolidate, standardize and automate reporting and forecasting processes across all distinct business and corporate units.
- “The highly knowledgeable consultants at PREDICTif understand business intelligence. That’s why they recommended IBM Cognos technology to fit our business needs, technology that we are very happy with. IBM Cognos Express is intuitive, can be owned and managed by the business, and has amazing reporting, planning and dashboard features. It also happens to be one of the best bargains on the market.”
— Jay Krishnamurthy, Vice President – IT, J. B. Poindexter and Co.
• Provided end-users with an intuitive budgeting, forecasting and reporting solution with business intelligence capabilities by implementing IBM Cognos and PREDICTif services.
• Created a system of easy-to-understand dashboards that automatically provide critical information across all business units, allowing management and corporate users to assess performance and risk in a timely manner.
• Implemented a cost-effective solution, saving US$ 50-75,000 a year in hardware costs alone.
• Eliminated the need for report builders by empowering end users with an easy-to-use system.
• Allowed IT staff to focus on IT needs instead of spending several hours a day loading data and fixing reporting issues.
• Increased productivity by 100-125 percent.
• Reduced time to deliver manual reports by well over 200 percent.
About PREDICTif Solutions
PREDICTif is a business technology consulting and solutions firm with a unique focus on predictive business solutions. PREDICTif specializes in end-to-end business intelligence, predictive analytics, enterprise performance management and right-time data integration.
Whether the solution is brick-and-mortar or cloud-based, PREDICTif’s offerings maximize return on investment, contribute toward the achievement of business objectives and ultimately enhance the enterprise’s ability to fully realize the potential of transforming into an agile, predictive business. To learn more about PREDICTif Solutions, please visit predictifsolutions.com
About IBM Business Analytics
IBM Business Analytics software delivers actionable insights decision-makers need to achieve better business performance. IBM offers a comprehensive, unified portfolio of business intelligence, predictive and advanced analytics, financial performance and strategy management, governance, risk and compliance and analytic applications.
With IBM software, companies can spot trends, patterns and anomalies, compare “what if” scenarios, predict potential threats and opportunities, identify and manage key business risks and plan, budget and forecast resources. With these deep analytic capabilities our customers around the world can better understand, anticipate and shape business outcomes.
For more information or to reach a representative please visit ibm.com/analytics.
Products and services used
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2011 IBM Corporation 1 New Orchard Road Armonk, New York 10504-1722 United States 914-499-1900 Produced in the United States of America October 2011 All Rights Reserved IBM, the IBM logo, ibm.com, and Cognos are trademarks or registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both. If these and other IBM trademarked terms are marked on their first occurrence in this information with a trademark symbol (® or ™), these symbols indicate U.S. registered or common law trademarks owned by IBM at the time this information was published. Such trademarks may also be registered or common law trademarks in other countries. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at “Copyright and trademark information” at: ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml. Other product, company or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others. References in this publication to IBM products or services do not imply that IBM intends to make them available in all countries in which IBM operates