- Holds seven patents in the area of systems engineering and complex product development. Full references to these patents are outlined below.
- Lead author of the Systems Modeling Language (SysML) standard at the object management group (OMG). Designed and wrote part of the standard specification as a contribution from IBM to the standard. Today, SysML is at the core of the new Rational systems growth strategy (linked to the Telelogic acquisition) and a central piece to our IBM offerings for product development and management. This was a three-year effort from inception to the release of the standard.
- Established the Industry Solutions research group at the Tokyo Research Lab. The research group focuses on creating innovative solutions for the systems engineering and product development industry. These solutions center on the use of SysML as a data management platform for product development and management. The group is led by Hiroyuki Akatsu and has approximately 25 members.
- Led the IBM Research team, from 2002 through 2005, in creating Systems Data Management assets. IBM Global Business Services and IBM Software Group use these assets as the core component to support the Product Development Integration Framework (PDIF) that was announced in 2006 by Steve Mills as one of the major integration strategies for product lifecycle management solutions.
- Invited professor at the new graduate school for Systems Engineering and Management at Keio University in Japan. The school helps educate engineers for the product development industry in Japan. Laurent teaches a course at the school on innovative engineering and management techniques.
- Created one of the first models of a realistic industrial system (Rain Sensing Wiper model) that is used across the industry as an example of model-based management for a realistic industrial product.
Dr. Laurent Balmelli is currently a manager at IBM in charge of architecting the new generation of offerings and tools for Systems Engineering and Product Development. He has been a research staff member at T.J. Watson Research Center and IBM Tokyo Research Labs, and a member of several leadership councils in IBM since 2000. Since 2003, Dr. Balmelli has represented IBM within the SysML standard team and is one of the lead authors of the SysML language specification. He was recently awarded the position of invited professor at Keio University in Tokyo, Japan, where he currently resides. He can be reached at email@example.com.