The IBM License Metric Tool [ILMT] helps you maintain an inventory of the PVU based software deployed for your Full Capacity or Virtualization (Sub-) Capacity environment, and measures the PVU licenses required by software Product. It is intended to help you manage your IBM software licensing requirements, and help you maintain an audit ready posture. Customers are responsible for supplying hardware and installation services required for installing the tool.
ILMT version 9.2 was announced on March 17, 2015 via Software Announcement 215-076. Customers have 90 days from first eligible Virtualization (Sub)-capacity product deployment to install and begin using ILMT for supported virtualization technologies. Customers with earlier versions should promptly install the latest V9.2 release.
Use of IBM License Metric Tool
The use of IBM License Metric Tool is recommended for Full Capacity PVU environments, and is mandatory for use with PVU sub-capacity licensing. Exceptions to this requirement are:
1. when ILMT does not yet provide support for the Eligible Virtualization Environment
2. if your Enterprise has fewer than 1,000 employees and contractors worldwide, you are not a Service Provider, and you have not contracted with a Service Provider to manage your Eligible Virtualization Environment
3. if total physical capacity of your servers with an Eligible Virtualization Environment, measured on a Full Capacity basis, but licensed using sub-capacity terms is less than 1,000 PVUs.
For the above exceptions, customers must manually manage, track, and prepare a Manual Calculation of Virtual Capacity worksheet for each server. For more details about the requirements for this worksheet, you can go to Virtualization Capacity License Counting Rules or use the Manual Calculation of Virtual Capacity worksheet available from the right hand nav bar.
IBM BigFix Inventory 9.0 announced on March 5, 2013 via Software Announcement 213-080 which now includes Tivoli Asset Discovery for Distributed V7.5 as a supporting program. For more information, visit IBM BigFix Inventory.
Whether using IBM BigFix Inventory or the Manual Calculation worksheet, customers must maintain documentation for at least two years to demonstrate ongoing compliance with these Sub-Capacity Licensing terms.
For details of Sub-capacity licensing requirements, including requirements for maintaining documentation, see the Passport Advantage Virtualization Capacity (Sub-capacity) Licensing and the Virtualization Capacity License Counting Rules.
For information about supported platforms and hardware requirements for use of ILMT administrative server and its agents, visit the ILMT Knowledge Center.
- Software Subscription and Support
- Agreements and forms
- Brochures and FAQs
- How to enroll
- How to buy
- Passport Advantage Online - Reseller
- Passport Advantage Online - Customer
- Software Subscription and Support videos
- Newly enhanced IBM Software
- Upgrade today
- IBM Software Accelerated Value Program Services