System z Solutions Suite
The System z Solutions Suite is your place to see the latest solutions and technologies in a relaxed, one-on-one environment. Choose from a variety of solution-focused briefings and demos presented by our technical experts, who will also be available for private consultations. These in-depth sessions will help you:
Solutions Suite hours:
Monday, June 3: 10am - 3pm
Tuesday, June 4: 10am - 5pm
Wednesday, June 5: 9:30am - 5pm
Thursday, June 6: 8-11am
Location: Northern Hemisphere Ballroom, Rooms 2 and 3 – Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort
In the spotlight
Special Lunch & Learn session: DevOps and the Mainframe -- Can you continuously deliver on z/OS?
When: Wednesday, June 5: 12:30-1:30
Where: Northern Hemisphere Ballroom, Rooms 2 and 3 - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort
DevOps is an emerging trend aiming to speed and govern the delivery of complex software by increasing collaboration, automating the delivery process, and decreasing feedback time, to drive production delivery cycles from months down to hours. This Lunch & Learn will explore how the new IBM DevOps capabilities apply to z/OS, addressing the roadmap and strategy from a mainframe perspective focused on core CICS, IMS, DB2, and batch workloads.
Space is limited; please register in advance.
Solutions Suite sessions are grouped by topic. Click the triangle before each title to view session description.
New System z Solutions: Modernization, Mobile and More
- CICS Explorer: The New Face of Productivity when Managing CICS EnvironmentsThe CICS Explorer will increase the productivity of highly skilled CICS technical users, as well as providing an intuitive entry-point for broadly skilled staff, by integrating powerful tools into a single Eclipse-based user interface. IBM CICS Explorer is designed to integrate CICS tooling with the CICS runtime, providing an easily extensible set of CICS views, data, methods, and features. Customizable views will enable users to save screen layouts that specifically address individual needs across the development and production processes. This session will walk you through the CICS Explorer and provide tips and techniques to customize your CICS Explorer for the work you need to do!
- Modernizing Your System z Application Development with IBM RationalIBM Rational tools help the System z development team throughout the overall application life cycle from requirements to delivery, improving project management, productivity, testing and deployment. The demonstration will be performed by two developers and will cover the application life cycle, from the requirements and analysis phase through the final deployment using a z/OS system running in on a local laptop using Rational Development and Test Environment for System z. Rational Team Concert (RTC), built on the jazz platform, is used to demonstrate project management, workflow, governance, source code management and collaborative development. The Rational Team Concert Smart Build capability will be demonstrated. We will demonstrate how application understanding and impact analysis can be performed with Rational Asset Analyzer (RAA). Rational Developer for System z (RDz) will be used for coding updates. You also will see the IBM z/OS Debug in action using a CICS application that is running on z/OS.
- Modernizing Your System z Application Development with IBM Rational Continuous Integration Solution for System z DevelopmentToday, many System z application development systems suffer from long test times due to lack of System z resources, “Waterfall Development” methodology and limited application development testing. This session extends the Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) solution by adding Continuous Integration quality management activities. In this session, we demonstrate how software life cycle tooling for team build, promotion, and deployment can be adapted to provide automated continuous integration with automated testing. It provides the ability to demonstrate capabilities above and beyond CLM to highlight the broader solution that includes Rational Team Concert, Rational Quality Manager, Rational Functional Tester, Rational Integration Tester and Rational Development & Test (RD&T) products.
- Rational Solutions for Smarter IMS DevelopmentThe partnership between IMS and Rational began in 1998 when the IMS TM Resource Adapter shipped with Rational Application Developer, and it has not slowed since. In this session, members from the IMS Development and Rational Development for System z teams will partner to demonstrate how IMS and Rational solutions combine to help IMS shops increase the value of their existing IMS investments and create additional value with new, modern solutions. Across the range of Rational for System z and IMS development tooling, IMS and Rational partner to keep their customers moving forward.
- Rational Solutions for Smarter DB2 Development on System zSmarter Development tools can dramatically improve development and modernization processes for your critical z/OS applications. This session demonstrates IBM tools used together in a real-world scenario where a quick change is needed to a DB2 database and an application dependent upon it. Staff team together to rapidly make the change assessing and modifying the database structure, generating test data, then altering, building, and testing the application. The end-to-end demo shows integrated IBM products being used to seamlessly accomplish the tasks - including IBM Data Studio, IBM InfoSphere Data Architect, InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management, IBM Optim Query Workload Tuner, Rational Team Concert, IBM Debug Tool for z/OS, Rational Developer for System z and the Rational Development and Test Environment for System z.
- Enterprise Modernization – Mobilize Your Mainframe ApplicationsThis session will demonstrate how the mainframe is really the engine driving latest cutting edge technologies like web 2.0 and mobile platforms that serve up information to users. The demonstration centers around modernizing both the UI and back-end code of a 3270 CICS/COBOL application. The back-end COBOL code is web-service enabled with Rational Developer for System z, while the 3270 front-end is extended and transformed into a cross-platform mobile application interface, demonstrated on an Android device. Communication between the back-end COBOL application and mobile front-end is made possible by leveraging native CICS web services support, which is just one option discussed for making Mainframe applications Mobile-consumable. The session will amply demonstrate the robust services support built into the latest release of CICS, the seamless integration with cutting edge pervasive mobile technologies, and how it's all tied together with the collaborative capabilities in the IBM Mobile Development Lifecycle Solution (IMDLS) for both Mainframe and Mobile application development teams.
- Enterprise Modernization – Mine COBOL Business Rules Using Rational Asset Analyzer and IBM Operational Decision ManagerModernizing Batch and Online COBOL applications using Rational Asset Analyzer (RAA) and IBM Operational Decision Manager (ODM) to help shorten an application's change management schedule. With the combined technologies, you can not only gain a better understanding of your COBOL applications and how the program flows, but can greatly shorten the lifecycle management time-to-market. By taking advantage of ODM features such as natural language rule writing and events capability, built-in rules testing capabilities, hot deployment to COBOL code so that rule changes can be rolled out quicker than legacy methods with versioning to easily shift between versions used in deployed applications. These resources can also be shared across enterprise with write rules once, deploy to any platform (z/OS and distributed) so rules on all platforms are consistent cross enterprise. So with RAA you can understand the code that you have with information such as dependencies, program structure, program flow and control. This helps you develop a "vocabulary" whereby you tie software artifacts (e.g., DB2 Columns) to Business "semantics".
Analyst session: Cloud and DevOps
Join Forrester analyst Phil Murphy and IBM VP Hayden Lindsey for the latest trends, demands and technologies for optimum software development and delivery.
Ask the Experts
IBM Distinguished Engineers and System z software technical experts share expertise and answer questions in an open Q&A, roundtable session.
Special z reception
Join us at a special System z reception on Tuesday, June 4, 7:30-9:30pm at Il Mulino Restaurant, hosted by IBM VP Phil Weintraub. (VIP ticket required for admission)