System z sessions at Innovate
Innovate 2013 features more sessions for System z attendees than ever before, with a dedicated System z Technical Exchange track that includes technology deep-dives, hands-on labs, “ask the experts” panels, real customer success stories, and more.
System z sessions are grouped by session number under each section. Click the triangle before each title to view session description.
- 1146 Old Dogs, New Tricks - It's All about the Information! Mobile Applications, Transactions, and Data AnalyticsIn this session, learn how IBM is enabling application integration and data analytics through cutting-edge solutions running across mobile, cloud, and mainframe systems. Reaching your customers is more important than ever. And doing so requires the ability to interact with your customers at their convenience and through the interfaces they desire. People and businesses are now using mobile devices as primary means of interacting with businesses. Your objective is clear: provide seamless integration between your transaction systems and the mobile applications that interact with them. By integrating your mobile applications with your transaction processing systems, you can provide your customers more accurate and up-to-date information, while at the same time collecting more information for use in performing data analytics. These analytics can help you serve your customers better through more customer-specific offerings. A win/win for both your customers and you.
Speaker: Tim Hahn, IBM
- 1203 Deep Dive: Building Mainframe Applications with Rational Team Concert Enterprise ExtensionsLearn everything you need to know about building your mainframe applications with Rational Team Concert Enterprise Extensions! This session is intended for anybody with an interest in building mainframe applications. In this session, we will take a deep dive into the inner workings of dependency build, explaining what it does and how it works. We will cover assorted topics such as link-edit support, building a subset of your programs, overriding build options at the file level, renaming your build outputs, and much more. We will also be highlighting new features in 2013 and sharing a short demo.
Speakers: Robin Yehle Bobbitt, IBM; Nicolas Dangeville, IBM, Jorge Alberto Diaz Garcia, IBM
- 1272 Mobile-ize your Mainframe CICS Applications with Smarter Development ToolsWith so many enterprises working to leverage their mainframe investment, the mobile platform has become the ideal place for innovation. We'll discuss a Mainframe-to-Mobile strategy to meet a critical business need. We'll proceed with a live demonstration showing how a CICS application can be modernized for mobile. An integrated set of development tools is used to power through the entire process, researching the scope of programs affected, identifying program interfaces, generating Web Services, and creating the mobile User Interface. Products highlighted include IBM Worklight, Rational Developer for System z and CICS IA. In addition, we'll also show how Rational tools help throughout the application life cycle. Rational Team Concert will be used to demonstrate multiple developers sharing workflow, governance and collaboration. Finally, ClearBlade will demonstrate a unique mobile application to manage your z/OS job queue.
Speakers: Aaron Allsbrook, ClearBlade; Regi Barosa, IBM
- 1292 Streamlining Migration from Changeman to Rational Team Concert at CaceisIn this session, we'll explore the lessons learned during a real-world Changeman-to-RTC migration. Gain technical details about implementing the development process (RTC Project Area setup), managing the COBOL source code (streams, components, zProjects, zFolders, zFiles, data set definitions, language definitions), making the build work and importing the source code.
Speakers: Willy Dhondt, IBM; Nicolas Dangeville, IBM
- 1297 Rational Developer for System z - Citi Shares their Strategy on Improving Adoption, Defining Success Metrics and Measuring ResultsWe'll share the success story and the strategy taken by a global financial organization to improve the adoption of modern development tools. We'll cover how the productivity improvement was measured and how the metrics reporting was done.
Speakers: Ajit Nair, Citi; Adam English, Citi; Amy Silberbauer, IBM
- 1308 IBM DB2 for z/OS Application Development Using the IBM Family of ToolsSmarter development tools can dramatically improve development and modernization processes for your critical IBM z/OS applications. This session demonstrates IBM tools used together in a real-world scenario where a quick change is needed to an IBM DB2 database and an application dependent upon it. Staff team up to rapidly make the change, assessing and modifying the database structure; generating test data; then altering, building and testing the application. The end-to-end demo shows integrated IBM products being used to seamlessly accomplish the tasks, including Rational Developer for System z, Rational Asset Analyzer, Rational Development and Test Environment for System z, IBM Data Studio, IBM InfoSphere Data Architect, InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management and IBM Rational Team Concert.
Speakers: David Bean, IBM; Jeffrey Merritt, IBM
- 1373 IBM Integrated Solution for System z Development Helps Ruukki Metals ModernizeThis session discusses the modernization story of Ruukki Metals. They began by planning a modernization roadmap, incorporating phases of deployment that started with Rational Asset Analyzer. You'll learn how Rational Developer on z was implemented and how the IBM Deployment Project Office assisted in keeping the project on track. You'll also hear about the benefits of implementing Rational Developer and Test Environment as well as future next steps.
Speakers: Mika Lomu, Tieto Finland
- 1393 The Caffeinated Mainframer: Java on System z with Rational Developer for System zz/OS offers support for many languages, and there is a growing interest for doing Java on the mainframe as companies realize the benefits in virtualization and consolidation of hardware assets. In this session, we will show you how to build Java applications that access mainframe assets and that run on the mainframe in either batch mode or under Java EE Application Server, such as WebSphere Application Server.
Speakers: Kenny Smith, Strongback Consulting; Matthew Hardin, Strongback Consulting
- 1543 Time-to-Market with Accelerated Development CyclesTime-to-market is increasingly becoming one of the most important terms governing the services industry. The term gained prominence from both a monetary perspective (shorter development cycles leading to early realization of benefits) and a political perspective (stringent laws forcing fast implementation of IT changes.) From an IT services perspective, software services that are offered to the customer had to align with the global trend to reduce the development life cycle. We, at Wipro, aim to achieve this by reducing transition time and development time with the use of products like Rational Asset Analyzer, Rational Developer for System z and other in-house tools.
Speakers: Suman Gopinath, Sihab Kolaparambil, Wipro
- 1565 z/OS Development, Then and NowIt's no secret that the world's most advanced operating system has evolved over time, but what about the tools to develop applications for it? In this session, we'll examine the evolution of the mainframe developer as it was, and as it is now. For mainframe development teams, the move to a modern tool set, such as those in the Rational Integrated Solution for System z Development, presents unique challenges and opportunities. We'll discuss both and how a strategic approach to learning can dramatically accelerate gains in productivity and innovation.
Speakers: Scott Pecnik, PacGenesis; Robin Macfarlane, RRMac Associates; Craig Branham, IBM
- 1605 Customer Panel: Successful Adoption of Rational Team Concert in Global OrganizationsCome be a part of this knowledgeable panel discussion as customers from State Street, Citi, CACEIS, Allianz and RRMac share their strategies for a successful rollout of Rational Team Concert in their System z environments. For example, Ed Weare, director of Advanced Technology of State Street, will describe his experiences in the complete migration from Changeman to IBM Rational Team Concert. CACEIS will talk about how they migrated, set up, and are managing 50,000 mainframe programs in RTC in a production environment (including how they trained the team.) And Allianz Seguros, in its Ibero-American regional expansion process, will discuss how they required a homogenous solution that shared the same methodology and tools for all the technologies in their source control and IT Governance. Implementing RTC helped them reach their objectives by improving the productivity of their geographically distributed teams and facilitating team collaboration.
Speakers: Customers from Citi, Allianz, State Street, RRMac Associates
- 1692 Continuous Test and Integration Using New and Enhanced Rational Development and Test Environment for System z CapabilitiesRational Development and Test Environment greatly enhances the way organizations develop, maintain and test mainframe applications. This session will explain the techniques that customers are using to make the job of provisioning and deploying it easier. We'll discuss common pain points and proven adoption strategies, and we'll demonstrate the critical aspects of managing data in this environment.
Speaker: John Gates, IBM
- 1719 Real-world Users: Rational Development and Test Environment and IBM Enterprise Modernization Solutions in Two Customer ScenariosIn this session, we discuss several business and deployment scenarios leveraging RD&T; and integrating with Rational Developer for System z and Rational Team Concert. Technical strategies to synchronize LPARs and data will be reviewed before drilling into two scenarios. First, we'll discuss a customers' experience with RD&T and RDz. Disc S.p.A is a mid-size company in Italy with high skills in mainframe environments dedicated to banking management. The adoption has radically improved their business model, enabling autonomous solutions on differing platforms. But the real surprise was RDz resulting in faster development of COBOL and Java applications. Secondly, we'll discuss ASIST's experience with RD&T along with RDz, Rational Business Developer and RTC. Results include improved and independent services to customers, easier problem simulation, more responsive follow-up, and new mainframe developers being attracted to the platform via their academic initiative.
Speakers: Andrea Giordano, Disc Spa; Paul Pilotto, ASIST; Mitch Funsten, IBM
- 1753 Software Archaeology with Rational Developer for System z and Rational Asset Analyzer - Discovering What You've Forgotten, Knowing What You'll InheritSo you've just inherited several COBOL programs from a newly retired co-worker. These programs are huge, and you have only a slight idea what they do and what they touch. How do you go about discovering how they work? This is where IBM RDz and RAA can help you understand what your source does, what it affects, and what risks lie in changing those systems. Join the session to uncover your hidden treasure!
Speakers: Christopher Sayles, Strongback Consulting; Kenny Smith, Strongback Consulting; Ujjwal Sinha, IBM
- 1878 Case Study: SERPRO -- Deploying Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) in a z/VM environmentSERPRO (Federal Data Processing Service) is a government company under the Brazilian Ministry of Finance and is responsible for modernize and giving agility to the strategic sectors of the Brazilian government. SERPRO facilitates the relationship between citizens and the government, developing solutions like electronic Income Tax application, driver's licenses control, Brazilian passport control and foreign trade applications. In this session, come learn how they adopted the IBM Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management solution to accelerate their software delivery, while also increasing quality. This helped to extend the business value of their mainframe technology by providing exceptional levels of availability, security, and operational ease of the z/VM environment. In addition, you'll hear about the strategy they followed to rollout the CLM solution among the eleven cities spread throughout the Brazilian territory where SERPRO is present.
Speakers: Diego Ribeiro, Serpro; Adriano Ramos, IBM
- 2130 Tips to Convert Legacy Change Management Infrastructure to Rational Team Concert on System zMoving from a legacy CM system is often very difficult, but the rewards are hard to ignore. Come to this session to learn more about the challenges, the mitigations and the rewards. We'll cover what you need to know to successfully build out and deploy RTC on System z.
Speakers: Edward Weare, State Street; Robin Macfarlane, IBM Business Partner; Rosalind Radcliffe, IBM
- 2268 The Future of COBOL Starts NowThis is a rare opportunity for software professionals and executives to hear from Kevin Stoodley, IBM Fellow & Rational CTO, and an analyst on the future of COBOL application development for System z. Many organizations are facing budgetary, resource and skills challenges and are looking for cost-effective ways to leverage IT capability to drive business efficiency and competitiveness. In this session, the speakers will take you on a tour of the cutting-edge technologies shipped in the new Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler and discuss COBOL industry trends and strategies to increase agility so you can make IT a competitive advantage for your business.
Speakers: Kevin Stoodley, IBM; Roland Koo, IBM
- 2328 Modernizing the Enterprise for Mobile and Web 2.0Developing a stand-alone mobile application or website is one thing. Developing mobile and web applications that tap into the IT services and assets of the business and put them in reach of its customers, business partners, or employees is quite another. In this session, we will discuss the challenges of extending business IT services to web and mobile channels. We will then discuss skills, strategies, technologies and tools such as Rational Application Developer, Rational Developer for System z, and Worklight Studio that can help you break through those challenges and go mobile.
Speakers: Michael Heiss, ARS; Jim Zhang, IBM
- 2402 DevOps for the Mainframe: Leveraging Continuous Integration, the Cloud, and Beyond to Deliver z/OS ApplicationsDelivering software is complex. Mainframe systems consist of multiple databases, subsystems, and services, built up over decades. Aligning teams to drive system changes is difficult, where even minor changes to critical systems may involve multiple parties from storage admins, to system programmers, to security personnel, to DBAs, to developers. Coordinating, integrating, and validating the work between stakeholders is often manual, leading to long cycle times and frequent defects. DevOps is an emerging trend aiming to speed and govern the delivery of complex software by increasing collaboration between operations and development teams. This session introduces DevOps tools and practices from both Rational and Tivoli and outlines an adoption path for Mainframe DevOps including: collaborating on delivery across multiple roles and teams, provisioning of $0-MIPs z/OS test environments, and implementing an automated integration testing system.
Speakers: Rosalind Radcliffe, IBM; David Myers, IBM
- 2427 Bringing Integration Testing and Service Virtualization to the MainframeRational Integration Tester has extended its capabilities into the mainframe space. With support for IMS and CICS through a variety of interfaces, it can now provide valuable functional and performance-based testing along with virtualization of host programs. See how eliminating these dependencies can reduce your testing cycle time, allow testing to start earlier, and improve your application quality.
Speaker: John Chewter, IBM
- 2447 Attracting Next-Gen Mainframe Developers: Volvo IT and Current Students Share Their InsightsDoes this development team story sound familiar? "Our senior mainframe developers are starting to retire, and we need a way to attract younger developers." In this panel session, we gain insight from young programmers who have participated in the "Master the Mainframe" contest and learn what skills and ideas students like them offer enterprise customers in building tomorrow's multilanguage/cross-platform applications. Then we'll hear how several companies embarked upon an organizational change/journey to help attract younger developers by modernizing their mainframe applications using IBM solutions. For example, come learn how a major automobile company transformed their existing software production line to a new and modern software production facility, increasing productivity, improving time-to-market and securing more time with their customers. You'll learn insights into how to reach the new developers and make your mainframe development teams the "place to be."
Speakers: Sanjay Chandru, IBM; various students
- 2466 Enterprise DevOps: Continuous Delivery of Software InnovationSoftware development teams are actively embracing DevOps. In this kickoff session, Hayden Lindsey, IBM VP and Distinguished Engineer, will discuss IBM's DevOps directions and plans, and will provide proof points on DevOps via Rational's collaborative lifecycle solutions to enable continuous software delivery and validation. All businesses rely heavily on software and people. Given this, it's critical that enhancements be meaningful, timely, and robust. On top of this, a quick cadence -- focused on business results, customer feedback, and competitive differentiation -- is mandatory. DevOps is about tackling the delivery of complex enterprise applications, providing business value, and a quick return on investment. Come learn more about this exciting evolution in software development that applies to all computing environments in use in your organization. This is a not to be missed session!
Speaker: Hayden Lindsey, IBM
- 2481 Ask the IBM System z Experts: Thought Leaders Converge to Discuss Enterprise Modernization TrendsCome and meet the distinguished engineers and senior technical staff members from IBM System z in Rational, Information Management, Tivoli, System Technology Group, and WebSphere, and select partners in an open Q&A, roundtable-format session. Feel free to ask questions regarding the entire IBM System z portfolio. Anything is fair game.
Speakers: IBM Distinguished Engineers and Technical Experts; Moderated by Phil Weintraub and Rosalind Radcliffe, IBM
- 2486 Cloud and DevOps - Big Demands, Big IronDevOps is changing how software is delivered, but how does it fit into your shop? The demands of delivering applications across Mobile, Social, Big Data, and Cloud technologies are driving development teams to use many different types of technology. Furthermore, use of Agile methodologies is enabling development teams to deliver usable application features on quicker schedules. This is now happening for application development on all platforms, in private datacenters and public clouds. Learn how your organization measures up as Phil Murphy, VP and Research Director with Forrester Research, presents fresh research on the impact of these technology trends on IT organizations. Listen as Hayden Lindsey, IBM VP and Distinguished Engineer, discusses how software from IBM Rational brings agility to all of your development environments -- from mobile apps to mainframe environments.
Speakers: Phil Murphy, Forrester Research; Hayden Lindsey, IBM
Back to top
Analyst session: Cloud and DevOps
Join Forrester analyst Phil Murphy and IBM VP Hayden Lindsey for the latest trends, demands and technologies for optimum software development and delivery.
Ask the Experts
IBM Distinguished Engineers and System z software technical experts share expertise and answer questions in an open Q&A, roundtable session.
Special z reception
Join us at a special System z reception on Tuesday, June 4, 7:30-9:30pm at Il Mulino Restaurant, hosted by IBM VP Phil Weintraub. (VIP ticket required for admission)