System z sessions are grouped by session number under each section. Click the triangle before each title to view the session description.
Application Infrastructure sessions
- 1197 A System z Developer's Journey through the Application Lifecyclen this session, you will see a live demonstration showcasing a typical "day in a life" scenario, featuring Rational Developer for System z for coding, application transformation, debugging and application deployment, Rational Development and Test Environment for System z for building z/OS applications on a shared x86 Linux server, and Rational Team Concert for workflow, governance, source code management and collaborative development. Session attendees will walk away with a better working knowledge of Rational solutions and product capabilities, strategies for deploying an affordable and flexible System z/zEnterprise development environment, and how to build a common team infrastructure for distributed and mainframe development.
- 1265 Positioning zEnterprise and PureSystems Based on Workload CharacteristicsThe session focuses on assessing today's customer business workloads, and the common pain points in today's IT infrastructures. It introduces the fit-for-purpose methodology, provides sample use cases and discusses total cost of ownership. The session positions zEnterprise and PureSystems, and provides a view of cloud computing adoption. zEnterprise and PureSystems can be seen as competitors; in fact, they are an ideal complement. This session will explain why.
- 1311 Panel Discussion: System z Best PracticesLeading enterprise IT leaders from around the world discuss the strategic uses of System z and take audience questions.
- 1328 WSDL-First Web Services Production Experience & Evaluation: IMS & WAS on zCredit Suisse (CS) has partnered with IBM to make IMS a first class Web Service citizen. Participants will hear about the business motivation for a WSDL-First approach. CS will inform about the great results of more and more Web Services going live at CS using the IMS SOAP Gateway. Given the huge scale of CS's planned Web Services usage the session will further inform about current challenges including huge messages in a shared queue environment and how to best support thousands of Web Services. Last but not least CS will share its experience evaluating WebSphere Optimized Local Adapters (WOLA) with WAS on zOS most importantly as a way to utilize a shared memory transport path for huge messages.
- 1443 Nobody Does Java Batch Like WebSphere Application Server! And It is All IncludedDo you have batch workloads? Do you want to build them with Java? You've heard of WebSphere Compute Grid and the Modern Batch Feature Pack. But did you know that WAS now includes all the function of both? That packs a powerful pre-integrated batch processing system into your application server at no additional cost. Now that's value! Come to this session to get a detailed overview of the full set of batch features now part of WAS. Leave this session with a clear understanding of Java batch workloads and how WAS enables you to build and support them. Learn how to unleash WAS on your toughest batch workloads!
- 1485 Case Study: WebSphere Enterprise Scalability (Ford Motor Company)The transition from an implementation of WebSphere Application Server for an application to support enterprise can pose some significant challenges. Ford Motor Company has scaled its WebSphere infrastructure to support everything from back office automation to front end marketing to manufacturing processes. This presentation will walk you through Ford's journey from small implementations to large scale implementations as well as their transition from WebSphere 6.1 to 8.0.
- 1507 WebSphere Application Server for z/OS in Real LifeHow do customers use WebSphere Application Server for z/OS in Real Life? This session takes a look at some examples of real world applications running today. What do the applications do and what technologies in WebSphere do they exploit? What about topology? There won't be any "theoretically possible" examples or "exercises left to the reader". These are real applications that really run.
- 1517 Why WebSphere Application Server on z/OS?WebSphere Application Server for z/OS has received some significant new enhancements over the past several years which bring it to the forefront in terms of platform choice for application serving and providing close integration with existing mainframe assets. This session will focus on some specific items with zSeries and z/OS that have been added which change the value proposition and make the case for running WAS on z/OS significantly more compelling today. We'll also share some details about new features that were added to WAS on z/OS which make explicit use z/OS facilities in order to provide world class integration with existing z/OS resources, both data and applications.
- 1585 Meet the Experts: New Workloads on System z with WAS z/OS, CICS, and IMSThis session will provide the opportunity to meet with IBM experts and discuss the value of leveraging, integrating and collocating WebSphere Application Server for z/OS, CICS, and IMS. Come to ask questions, share experiences, and learn best practices from the folks who understand how customers are leveraging the power of System z for new application workloads.
- 1586 WebSphere Java Batch – Hey, Who Closed My Batch Window?Increased demand on enterprise IT requires that organizations respond through both the integration of new workloads and the modernization of existing workloads. In this session, learn how Java batch features provided by WebSphere Application Server deliver the capabilities needed to blur the line between online and batch processing, enabling organizations to realize the benefits of concurrent execution, shared business logic, and enterprise integration, leveraging the power of System z.
- 1587 Meet the Experts: WebSphere Java BatchCome and meet the experts from WebSphere architecture and development who understand and are experienced with defining and deploying Java batch solutions. Whether your environment is distributed or mainframe or a combination of both, you will gain insights from the experts who know Java batch and are leading the standardization of Java batch in the industry.
- 1902 Batch Modernization on z/OSThis session will cover what's new in z/OS batch processing including support for new Job interfaces to the system, new job capabilities available as part of z/OS 2.1, support for the WebSphere Batch programming model as part of z/OS and expansion to PL/I and transactional VSAM access. Lastly, it will include a discussion on how improvements to allow reductions of the batch window, which is still a struggle for many customers.
- 1903 System z Operating System: Now with New Features You Requested!This session will cover a preview of the exciting new features of z/OS V2.1 release. z/OS V2.1 implements hundreds of improvements to the z/OS operating system. Some of these improvements are in support of the latest zEC12 hardware such as the transactional Execution facility which provided the first hardware transactional memory in a general purpose processor, Decimal floating point conversion, and instructions to improve hardware cache usage. Improvements such as enhanced ASCII support, unicode, heap checking, and JCL improvements focused on helping the application development. Improvements in data management including larger zFS files, larger PDSE's, and generation data groups. Finally we'll cover some of the simplification improvements including accessing z/OS using a browser.
- 2049 Server Consolidation on Linux for System z: Real successCustomer interactions are gathered up in this summary of lessons learned regarding: WAS idle tuning, diagnostic approaches, brute-force and refactoring topologies, JVM stacking and guest right-sizing, as well as an interesting application tuning experiment. While the experience was gathered from customers engaged with Linux for System z, many of the concepts are portable to any virtual environment.
- 2196 Full Speed Ahead with COBOLThis is a rare opportunity for software professionals and executives to hear from Kevin Stoodley, IBM Fellow & Rational CTO, and James Governor, Principal Analyst & founder of RedMonk, on the future of COBOL application development for System z. Many organizations are facing budgetary, resource and skills challenges and are looking for cost-effective ways to leverage IT capability to drive business efficiency and competitiveness. In this session, the speakers will take you on a tour of the cutting-edge technologies shipped in the new Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler and discuss COBOL industry trends and strategies to increase agility so you can make IT a competitive advantage for your business.
- 2422 WebSphere Middleware and System z: A Powerful Combination at Sparda DatenverarbeitungSparda Datenverarbeitung eG (SDV) provides mainframe and distributed IT solutions for the Sparda Banking group in Germany. Several years ago, SDV decided to migrate their Internet home banking and Intranet environments from x86 to WebSphere z/OS. With impressive results! SDV is now able to process an ever-growing WebSphere environment with reduced cost and greatest availability. Of course, WebSphere alone is just one part of a bigger SOA architecture: over recent years, the mainframe at SDV has been transformed from a traditional online and batch processing platform into a powerful, versatile and comprehensive System zEC12 environment. This session will focus on our WebSphere z/OS and System zEC12 environment.
- 2724 Enterprise Application Development at Speed with IBM Rational ToolsApplication development is evolving with greater speed, across many platforms and languages, with more architectural flexibility. Combined with diverse development teams and the need for faster time to delivery, it is essential to have the right integrated development tools and skills available when you need them. This session will explore the latest development tools from IBM, including Rational Application Developer, Rational Developer for System z and Rational Developer for Power. You will learn how these tools help you meet and beat these challenges and deliver your business critical software, from enterprise systems to mobile applications, on or off the cloud.
- 2755 Modernizing the Enterprise for Mobile and Web 2.0Developing a stand-alone mobile application or website is one thing. Developing mobile and web applications that tap into the IT services and assets of the business and put them in reach of its customers, business partners, or employees is quite another. In this session, we will discuss the challenges of extending business IT services to web and mobile channels. We will then discuss skills, strategies, technologies and tools such as Rational Application Developer, Rational Developer for System z, and Worklight Studio that can help you break through those challenges and go mobile.
- 3149 Roundtable: Java Workloads on System z: Considerations, Benefits, and Technical RoadmapsWebSphere Application Server, Java and System z create a powerful and valuable combination. In this interactive roundtable we will discuss the benefits of placing WebSphere Java workloads on the same System z platform with applications and data, a practice known as co-locating. In addition to the performance, scale, and reliability benefits, we will discuss some often overlooked cost benefits and cover implementation best practices such as the use of WebSphere Optimized Local Adapters (WOLA). We'll also consider the new WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile and examine the Java on z roadmap. We look forward to your insights and feedback on WebSphere and Java on System z.
BPM, Case and Operational Decision Management sessions
- 1193 High-Volume, Fast Decision Management for your System z Applications: Exploring the Why and HowDecision guidance capabilities can be used to improve thousands, even millions, of interactions your System z applications handle on a daily basis. The discipline of operational decision management is the next generation of business rules used to automate and govern frequently occurring, repeatable decisions; decision such as: Does this claim need additional scrutiny and is this the right payment amount? Should this transaction be blocked to comply with regulations? What is the right offer or price for this customer? This session will explore the importance of ODM, and the many improvements, enhancements, savings and possibilities this key IT investment could provide to your System z applications.
- 1221: Gearing up for World Cup: RioCard TI Increases Efficiency for Rio de JaneiroWith Brazil's economic growth and upcoming events such as the World Cup and Olympics, the state of Rio de Janeiro is expecting an increase in the utilization rate of public transportation from 16 percent to 63 percent by 2016. The growth of passenger flow will directly affect the electronic ticketing system, requiring more agility, flexibility and reliability in the sale of electronic credits. For this reason, RioCard TI has used IBM BPM and IBM ODM to improve the efficiency of business processes such as sales and control of electronic cards. RioCard TI is responsible for processing data for the transportation system of the State of Rio, with over 4.5 million active cards, and more than USD200,000 of sales transactions per month.
- 1287 Case Study: Slovenian National Pension Fund Automates and Transforms in Government with IBM BPMAs many organizations, especially in the government sector, are still using paperwork and procedures without efficient online and real-time control, Slovenian National Pension Fund decided to modernize their everyday business and increase their efficiency and effectiveness with an IBM BPM implementation on Linux for System z. Now, there are no more questions about how to find missing paper documents, where tasks are in the workflow, or how to catch time limits if key people are absent, since the automation and fully-managed BPM solves those issues. In the presentation, Slovenian National Pension Fund will present the path from paper planning to IBM BPM usage in practice and share their experiences.
- 1612 Cardinal Health Improves Supply Chain and Patient CareThis session will demonstrate the impact of WebSphere Operational Decision Management from a sourcing/inventory/customer expectation management point of view. It will also highlight the business cases used to bring in the technology, and the end communication to sales and customers on the changes we are making in our supply chain that directly impact patient care. The team will share lessons learned, and will provide opportunities for collaboration, and open discussion on how best to achieve results with the IBM tool stack. The Cardinal Health leadership team will also share positive feedback on the IBM/Cardinal Health partnership and our vision to use products to directly impact our supply chain and patient care processes.
- 1667 Case Study: Nationwide Automates Manual Processes using a Service Component Architecture (SCA)An annuity industry initiative (AMP - Annuity Maintenance Platform) involving many insurance carriers, annuity distributors, Ebix, Inc. and the DTCC (Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation) required Nationwide to rethink its business processes. The AMP effort allows distributors to perform post-issue transactions on in-force annuities using web services and electronic messaging. This required the enablement of real-time transactions, consisting of business processes that were traditionally handled manually across multiple systems. This presentation will address how Nationwide utilized rules, business process management, system orchestration and legacy modernization (CICS web services) to provide a flexible and reusable solution.
- 2309 BPM for the Enterprise on System z: Process Hub and Hybrid DeploymentsAutomated processes that extend and integrate key enterprise systems can create better time to value for mainframe business solutions. This session will provide a technical overview for using the latest product features in Business Process Management V8 products for z/OS and System z, as deployed in automated straight-through processes and hybrid topologies. This includes an introduction to the concept of a z/OS "process hub" as a practical solution for high-performance straight-through processing.
- 2563 Modernization of Mainframe Applications with Business Rules and EventsOften, in mission-critical applications, the business rules or decision logic is embedded within existing code, making it difficult to isolate and maintain when changes to the underlying logic are required. IBM Operational Decision Manager (ODM) brings agility to IBM System z applications by allowing fast changes to these rules, and providing real-time response to important business events. Combining the management and execution of business rules and business events within ODM for z/OS products delivers agility, traceability and full lifecycle support to existing and new mainframe applications. This session will give technical details of the different rule and event execution options available to CICS, IMS and batch applications on z/OS.
- 2600 Case Study: Nationwide Rule Authoring Capabilities using IBM ODMBusiness Rules and Decision Tables are extensively used at Nationwide by Business Analysts making day-to-day change in their Business Policies. This presentation is about Rule Authoring in IBM Operational Decision Manager in general and Decision Tables in particular. This session will also present a new Web-based Decision Table Editor recently introduced in the ODM Business Console.
- 2604 CICS, Business Rules and Events: Perfect TogetherThis session will provide insight on how to achieve greater agility from your existing CICS applications by externalizing business rules from code and enabling detection of event-based data patterns to make applications more responsive to actionable business situations. IBM Operational Decision Manager (ODM) for z/OS enables you to maintain critical business decision logic in your CICS applications, while avoiding lengthy application development cycles. CICS TS 4.x added the capability to emit events from existing applications, as well as host the business rule execution. With ODM on z/OS, the use of business events to DETECT business situations occurring and then business rules to DECIDE how to handle the situation is a powerful way to extend and modernize existing applications.
- 2627 Roundtable: IBM BPM and ODM on System zIn this session we want to hear from you. We want to hear what you would like changed in IBM BPM & ODM on z. We will also present a case study and lesson learned for an assistance application (food stamp) migration, from COBOL to BPM and ODM combined. We will focus on best practices on how to extract the workflow process logic and the business rules from the COBOL code; how to derive a new information model for services, rule processing and BPM; how to deploy centralized decision services, and support existing database to persist assistance application.
- 1087 CICS Debugging: Back to BasicsDebugging is fast becoming a lost art. Come sharpen your debugging skills with this back to basics presentation. You will learn how to approach an AKEA ABEND0C4, Hang in CICS, and other common problems. The speaker will also cover the basic IPCS commands to use when reviewing these common problems.
- 1850 Managing Growth in Garanti Bank with CICSThis session will discuss how Turkey's second-largest bank, Garanti Bank, successfully migrated from CICS version 3.2 to 4.2, helping them to manage their growing customer base, assets and transactions. With over $78 Million (USD) in assets, 9 million customers, a network of 880 branches and nearly 3500 ATMs, Garanti needed to reduce their costs per transaction and minimize their investment in additional capacity. This session addresses how the latest version of CICS Transaction Server helped them achieve this, and the all enhancements that provided efficiencies in workload distribution, advantages in transaction tracking, and how the new CICS Explorer Tools helped them accelerate transferring skills and best practices.
- 1888 CICS Portfolio What’s New UpdateThis year's CICS Family Keynote will highlight the recent CICS V5.1 portfolio delivery, including hot off the press announcements that further extend the value of CICS. You will hear about some of the major new technologies that IBM has delivered since the last IMPACT conference - as well as introducing some exciting new capabilities that will truly help shape the future of applications and infrastructure on System z. There will be pointers to other IMPACT sessions that will drill in to more detail. 2013 is going to be an exciting year in the life of the CICS Portfolio. Come and hear how the worldwide CICS team is transforming your expectations with a range of innovations that you will want to exploit both now, and in the years to come.
- 2104 Achieving the Highest Availability and Best Performance with CICS TG on z/OS HAIf you are a CICS shop that has many stand-alone instances of CICS Transaction Gateway on distributed platforms, and you are struggling to manage and keep it current, then this session should be of interest to you. Our shop consolidated over 80 CICS TG stand-alone instances into a CICS TG on z/OS high-availability architecture. We eliminated single points of failure, simplified CICS TG infrastructure management and support, improved performance, took advantage of real-time monitoring and reporting capabilities, made use of idle zAAP capacity with 98 percent offload rat,e and drastically reduced maintenance cost. Come hear details on the CICS TG on z/OS HA architecture with automatic failover, including lessons learned and what you need to know to set this up.
- 2241 Smarter Development Tools for Building CICS ApplicationsMake the most out of your CICS application investments and expedite your move to Smarter Development with IBM Problem Determination (PD) Tools. It only makes sense that your CICS applications can be a big part of the move towards Smarter Development with tools such as IBM PD Tools that help to easily modernize existing applications and support new applications and business requirements. Whether utilizing the IBM PD Tools Studio or the separate PD Tools Plug-ins on CICS Explorer, our GUIs are designed to help ease the burden of developing, testing, analyzing, and supporting traditional mainframe, Web, and composite CICS applications across complex System z environments.
- 2566 Use PureApplication Systems to Host Distributed CICS COBOL / C ApplicationsThis session is about reusing application components written in COBOL, C and JEE. Effectively deploying them into a cloud environment, using IBM Workload Deployer and the new offering IBM Mixed Language Application Modernization Pattern. The session includes the value of running transactional applications requiring CICS and Oracle Tuxedo ATMI based API services. The session covers the following topics: Business challenges of adapting traditional language applications to a cloud environment, What IBM Mixed Language Application Modernization Pattern provide?, How to deploy a COBOL application using this pattern with IWD or PureApplication System on a cloud environment, How this pattern helps in modernizing the applications. There will also be a demo.
- 2575: The Future of Distributed Transaction Processing with TXSeries & WebSphere eXtended Trans RuntimeMany enterprises deploy transactional application on distributed platforms, either in conjunction with their zSeries deployments or stand-alone. This session will cover all the latest news in the IBM's distributed transactional processing portfolio and will talk in detail about the IBM TXSeries for Multiplatforms and WebSphere eXtended Transaction Runtime products. The session will cover the following topics: Overview of distributed transaction processing; what is TXSeries and how can it help me; What is WXTR and how can it help me; how to choose between TXSeries and WXTR; plus future thoughts and conclusions.
- 2588 CICS TS V5.1 Technical OverviewCICS TS V5.1 builds upon the new and enhanced capabilities developed and delivered in Version 4.2, to enable customers to compete in the marketplace, comply with standards and regulations, and control their IT processes. CICS TS V5.1 delivers technical innovation and significant business value in five main focus areas, satisfying in excess of fifty customer and user group enhancement requests. The result is a powerful new release with a huge amount of value for all stakeholders - delivering a smarter transaction processing experience for CICS users and their customers in turn.This session will discuss the technical content available in CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V5.1.
- 2595 CICS TS V5.1 Service Agility - Delivering Results FasterFirst-class applications create agile services from existing assets. First-class platforms create agile service delivery platforms. Modern interfaces build rich web experiences for critical applications. Foundational enhancements extend core capabilities. This session explores these principles.
- 2597 CICS TS V5.1 Operational Efficiency - Doing More for LessCICS TS V5.1 provides a number of enhancements to enable greater capacity,increased availability, a deeper insight into the performance of a CICS systemand policy based automation on critical CICS resources. Greater capacity is delivered through significant vertical and horizontal scalability enhancements. Managed operations are provided through the introduction of policies; task thresholds can now be set and breaches can be managed by issuing messages, abending tasks, or emitting events. Increased availability enhancements reduce the need for planned outages. Deeper insight into performance and compliance information can help to tune and audit system usage. This session will discuss in detail the operational efficiency functions available in CICS TS V5.1
- 2605 Deploying Applications More Efficiently in a CICS CloudHow can you deploy applications in CICS more easily, and better manage your CICS platform? How do we make CICS applications and management more agile? CICS Explorer and the collection of portfolio tools enable a greater degree of automation. CICS put SOA at its core, delivering greater integration and connectivity across the enterprise. CICS is a first-class resource manager built to efficiently manage system and application resources. CICS WLM, combined with z/OS, enables CICS to rapidly respond to fluctuating workload demands. CICS has extensive monitoring and statistics to enable customers to understand the cost of their applications running in CICS.
- 2616 CICS TS V5.1 JVM Server and the WebSphere Liberty ContainerCICS TS V5.1 offers a fast and lightweight Java web container, providing developers with the rich features of Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP) specifications, and fast local access to your existing CICS applications and data. Built on WebSphere Application Server Liberty profile technology, this web container runs in the CICS JVM server environment. A wide range of Java development tools can be used to develop web applications. This session will demonstrate these features and show the integration between the web container and CICS resources.
- 2622 Using JSON to Simplify Mobile Applications with CICSWhat can you achieve in an hour? Imagine what you might achieve if in just one hour you could easily expose enterprise backend data to a mobile interface. In just one hour you will see that you can quickly and easily access data on an enterprise backend using a mobile frontend. Enterprise systems offer integrity, rollback, durability and thousands of other characteristics that make your business run without error 24/7, but enterprise systems also have a reputation of 'hiding' their data from the mobile platform. This session will demonstrate how easy it can be to expose your hidden data to the mobile platform so that you can start to exploit its hidden value.
- 2648 CICS Real World Mobile Examples and DemosExamples and demos of CICS applications interfacing with mobile devices extending the use and value of CICS applications.
- 3007 Eliminating the Batch Window with Modern BatchHear about recent improvements made for batch users of CICS.
- 3008 Improving the Integration Between Distributed Security and CICSWith highly distributed systems integrating with large mainframe environments there are new and additional challenges to ensuring the security and integrity of transactions as they pass through these multi-platforms environments. In this session you will hear about new improvements in CICS to help maintain the qualities of service and integrity on which CICS has built a reputation.
- 3009 Using Scripting to Dynamically Extend CICSIn this session you will hear about using scripting languages to quickly solve business problems, new proof points and quick solutions for short lived projects with CICS.
- 3010 Improve the Efficiency of your Sysplex Using Improved Workload ManagementCICS has been helping workload management of your z/OS workloads for many years, but in recent times it has been enhancing this support to take advantage of improvement made in the operating system. In CICS TS V4.1 Sysplex Optimised WLM was introduced and this was followed with new routing algorithms in CICS TS V4.2. In this session you will hear about the advances made in recent releases of CICS to optimise workload flows and make your CICS environment more efficient and effective.
- 3011 Modernizing the Mainframe. Humana Takes CICS to the Next levelThe landscape of healthcare insurance is changing dramatically with many uncertainties. Part of the challenge is to ensure that the infrastructure and applications that run the core business have the flexibility, durability and elasticity to adapt to immediate demands as well as to be strategic for the long term. Come listen to how Humana is exploiting the CICS Explorer and CICS tooling in their environment to support modernization activities that will position their core applications to run the business for the foreseeable future.
- 3012 Boost your Response Time and Move your Java Applications to CICSThis session will explain how you can improve the response time of your Java applications, just by rehosting them in CICS and bringing them closer to the needed data. DATEV will present their achivements of such a transformation. This session will also take a look at the features that are available in CICS Version 5 to support you with this task.
- 3013 CICS TS 5.1 Tales from the Trenches: Integration & OptimizationCICS users are loyal to their apps and for good reason! Today, CICS TS V5.1 delivers even greater service agility and operational efficiency to help clients integrate their applications with an ever widening array of web and cloud-based resources. Still, each year customers are under pressure to add value, support new workload and reduce the cost of ownership. That’s a tall order! This session will highlight tales of two customers who used a common tactic to enhance the value of their existing CICS investments.
- 3014 Save MIPs, Save Money with CICS ThreadsafeEnhancements first introduced in CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V2.2 made it possible for resource managers to exploit the open transaction environment (OTE) through their supplied task-related user exits (TRUEs). The CICS DB2 adaptor supplied with this release was the first TRUE to utilize OTE and therefore enable threadsafe application programs to take advantage of the improved performance available with dispatching changes introduced with OTE. Other resource managers such as WebSphere MQ , IP Sockets Feature for CICS and more recently IMS have since followed to provide similar benefits for applications using their services. The speaker will discuss how a threadsafe resource manager exploits OTE, the CICS and subsystem definitions required, and the interaction between threadsafe resource managers and other exits in your CICS system. The most recent CICS-IMS performance numbers will be used as an example to show what benefits can be achieved.
- 3015 CICS TS Performance and Tuning – Solving Problems with CICS ToolsThe CICS portfolio of tools enable you to manage and maintain your CICS assets, from the process of discovering your topology through to optimising your application performance, and all the steps in between. This session provides an introduction to the CICS Tools portfolio for those who are unfamiliar with our offering, and provides a summary of the latest features in each.
- 3017 CICS for Architects: What You Need to Know About CICS Integration and ConnectTo be updated: The recent Redbook Architects guide to CICS on System z helps architects understand the value and capabilities of CICS Transaction Server and the CICS tools portfolio. This session provides detailed guidance on the leading practices for designing and integrating CICS applications and the connectivity options available within an enterprise.
- 3018 CICS for Architects: Need to Know About Event Processing and Decision ManagementAimed at architects, this session describes the concept of event processing (EP), the elements of an EP solution, and why EP is essential to your business - including a summary of IBM products for EP solutions. You'll also learn about the capabilities of CICS Events, and evolution of those capabilities over a number of CICS releases. IBM Operational Decision Manager (ODM) can receive CICS events and perform event pattern detection. ODM includes two main components: Decision Server, for managing decisions & detecting event patterns; and Decision Center, for putting decision management in the hands of those who drive the business. You will learn how CICS and ODM can provide a powerful decision management solution for your business.
- 3019 Accelerating CICS Management Using CICS Explorer and an Integrated PortfolioThis session discusses how CICS Tools extend the value of CICS. It shows how the CICS Explorer forms an integrated suite of tools that together deliver end-to-end managementand control of your CICS applications and resources. You will learn how CICS PA, CICS CM and CICS IA are key componenets of every CICS ecosystem to ensure optimum performance, efficient control of CICS resource definitions, and deep understanding of complex CICS applications. IBM Session Manager provides a highly available, secure and user-friendly method of accessing multiple systems from a single terminal. Finally, this session will show how CICS Deployment Assistant helps with discovery, modelling, visualization, creation and deployment of CICS regions using policy driven advice and automation.
- 3020 Simplifying Control of your CICS Assets with Branham Group Real ExamplesThe CICS portfolio of tools enable you to manage and maintain your CICS assets, from the process of discovering your topology through to optimising your application performance, and all the steps in between. This session provides an introduction to the CICS Tools portfolio for those who are unfamiliar with our offering, providing a summary of the latest features in each. Branham Group will also present their independent findings of the value of the CICS Tools and real world scenarios from customers to commend them.
- 3021 Smarter Development Tools for End-to-End z/OS Application Problem ResolutionSmarter Development tools can dramatically improve development and modernization processes for your critical z/OS applications. This session demonstrates IBM tools used together in a real-world scenario where a CICS application abends. Staff in various roles must work together to quickly identify and research the problem and implement a permanent resolution. The end-to-end demo shows integrated IBM products used to seamlessly power through tasks, including IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS, Rational Team Concert, CICS Explorer, IBM Debug Tool for z/OS, Rational Developer for System z, CICS Interdependency Analyzer and Rational Asset Analyzer. The Smarter Development initiative is a holistic approach to improving application development processes.
- 3022 Connecting to CICS with CICS Transaction Gateway V9This talk introduces the CICS Transaction Gateway suite of products, which can provide non-invasive CICS connectivity to a variety of application environments and platforms in different topologies. The talk then takes a closer look at the features introduced in CICS TG recently, including: End-to-end transaction tracking with WebSphere Application Server V8.5 / Extended vertical scalability options on z/OS / Further support for 64-bit distributed platform applications / Enhanced IPIC capabilities in security and migration from EXCI / Enhancements to the CICS TG plugin for CICS Explorer.
- 3024 Hands-On Lab: CICS Emerging TechnologiesYou have heard about some of the new technology in CICS and now your are ready to get your hands 'dirty' and work with some of them. This session offers hands-on experience with a variety of features and facilities available with the latest releases of CICS. You can choose from any of the lab exercises offered, which include exercises on CICS in the Cloud, CICS Event Processing, Web services, ATOM Feeds, RESTful interfaces, CICS Java development using OSGi, Java Servlets and JSPs in CICS, and more. Come to this session to gain hands-on experience with some of the latest CICS features and capabilities discussed here at the conference.
- 3150 Roundtable: CICS Portfolio – Future Direction and FeedbackIn this session you will hear from CICS Development Director Danny Mace and members of his development team about the future directions of the CICS portfolio of products, as well as have the opportunity to offer your views on the new CICS announcements. This is your opportunity to influence and shape future CICS releases by telling us what capabilities you want for maximizingt he value from your CICS investment.
Messaging, SOA Integration and Governance sessions
- 1133 Enabling Multi-Channel Customer CommunicationsBlue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee offers health plan coverage and insurance products to nearly three million people across the state. BCBST is investing to change how it communicates with its customers. By building a multichannel outreach platform, the company was able to communicate with its customers in a bi-directional manner, improving customer service satisfaction and promoting better healthcare outcomes.This session will highlight business strategy alignment, business application capabilities, architecture models, and the supporting service-oriented architecture implementation using WebSphere products.
- 1176 Mobile, SOA Security Best Practice with DataPower Gateway AppliancesDataPower Gateway Appliances provide a centralized security enforcement point in an Enterprise infrastructure. This session describes how DataPower can be used as an effective security enforcement point across a disparate set of technologies, including System z applications. This session will cover each of the security components, and how they can be utilized in the scenarios of federation of identity, enterprise wide authentication and authorization. This session will touch on a variety of topics associated with security with Mobile, Web Application and Web Services. This session will also present use case scenarios on how DataPower is utilized within different enterprise environments to address security requirements.
- 1232 Universal Connectivity for Core Banking with WebSphere MQMost banking businesses have a common need to integrate systems supporting different customer channels such as Internet Banking, Mobile Banking, POS and ATM with back-end core banking system on mainframes, whilst maintaining constant availability, scalability, workload balancing and high performance of core banking applications. WebSphere MQ for z/OS provides bidirectional connectivity for core banking solutions. In this session we will present a common system architecture which is a proven solution across many customers worldwide. Furthermore, we will illustrate how to leverage the universal connectivity of the MQ Family, so that customers are able to transform traditional core banking business to integrate with Mobile, Internet-of-Things, Cloud app.
- 1288 IT Modernization Based on SOA at Slovenian National Pension Found (ZPIZ)While many organizations are stepping forward to interoperability and full SOA implementation, ZPIZ implemented SOA Reference Architecture in System z. The main goal of SOA reference architecture is interaction and integration between different composite applications connected to BPM. Services are available through Application Server and Portal accessing IBM BPM for business processes. The hearth of ZPIZ's SOA is Message Broker assuring integration with different internal applications and DataPower assuring integration with external partners. In this presentation, Slovenian National Pension Fund will present the way to move from paper plan to SOA usage in practice, mapping the SOA reference architecture in the practice and sharing their experiences.
- 1993 WebSphere MQ: z/OS PerformanceOne million messages per second. Yes, that's one million messages per second on a z/OS queue manager. They were small and non-persistent, but with WebSphere MQ V7.1 and z196 hardware, performance has improved again. In this session, we'll talk about the new performance numbers and some of the tuning you can do to improve your queue manager's performance--or squeeze more work into it.
- 1994 WebSphere MQ: Exploiting System z for Highly Available MessagingThis session will take a deep dive into the features which can be used to make messaging highly available on z/OS. It will focus on the WebSphere MQ queue sharing groups and discuss all the new features, including shared message data sets (SMDS) and the resilience features added in V7.1. The performance gains and coupling facility storage use provided by SMDS and the new offload rules will be discussed in detail. This session is not for beginners, but for those already familiar with the concepts and use of WebSphere MQ and z/OS facilities.
- 1995 WebSphere MQ: System z InternalsThis session is devoted to the components that make up the queue manager itself on System z. Each of the major resource managers (such as message manager or log manager) will be described from a functional perspective. A sample of common API requests will be dissected, and the flow through the resource managers will be mapped for each request.
- 2000 WebSphere MQ: Disaster Recovery and High AvailabilityMQ provides many capabilities that can be used to keep your business running in the event of local failures and site-wide outages. This session guides you through the options, comparing high availability (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) requirements, and showing how MQ's features can be effectively used on both distributed and z/OS platforms to give extremely reliable environments. It will discuss how to build, test and manage your WebSphere MQ infrastructure so that you can be up and running quickly in the event of a disaster. Topics will include managing configurations, storage, clients, clusters and networks. The session will also look at a range of qualities of service that can be achieved using different techniques.
- 2705 Marriott International Extends the Reach of its Enterprise Assets Using DataPower Gateway AppliancesMarriott leveraged web services and DataPower as part of the modernization of System z and TPF. As a result, the company is now able to add five to ten new partners per year, cost has decreased by 90 percent, and development effort had been reduced by 85 percent. At the same time, transaction volumes have increased 10 times over the last five years, while system costs have remained flat since 2007.
- 2761 DataPower Gateway Appliance's IMS Callout Helps Scotiabank Architect InnovationScotiabank, a leading multinational financial services provider and Canada's most international bank, put to the test an innovative integration architecture by which IMS programs call out to external systems through DataPower. In one such case, Scotiabank integrated IMS customer functions with AIX WebSphere-based brokerage services. Transformations created in WTX Design Studio can be implemented on DataPower and IMS callouts transformed to XML or JSON-based messages for external system integration using a variety of protocols, all with blazing fast performance! Join Craig Oddy, Senior Enterprise Architect, Scotiabank, and Shyh-Mei Ho, IMS On-Demand Chief Architect, for this truly innovative session.
Essential analyst session
Join IDC analyst Steve Hendrick and IBM's Mike Perera as they discuss the why and how of fast, high-volume operational decision management for System z applications.
Join RedMonk analyst James Governor and IBM Fellow Kevin Stoodley on a tour of the latest technologies shipped in the new Enterprise COBOL for z/OS, industry trends and more.
Special z reception
Join us at a special System z reception on Sunday, April 28 in the Venetian's TAO Opium Room, hosted by IBM VP Phil Weintraub. (VIP ticket required for admission)