Click on the triangle before each session title to view description and speakers
- IDZ-1005A IBM DB2 QMF 10: The Business Analytics VersionReal-time business analytics on your core enterprise data delivers key competitive advantages. QMF 10 delivers easy-to-use analytics through a multitude of new features and functions including enhanced database support, OLAP support, graphical query & analysis, dashboards, mobile device support and more. Learn how customers are using the newest QMF features and functions to efficiently deliver competitive advantages for their business. This is not your father's QMF! (Trial copies of the new QMF will be made available for attendees.)
Speakers: John M. Biere, IBM, WW Tech. Marketing Mgr; Peter Richardson, Rocket Software, Sr. Product Manager
- IDZ-1095A Automated End-to-End Database Maintenance, Using IBM DB2 for z/OS Automation ToolIBM DB2 for z/OS Automation Tool enables DBAs to automate utility maintenance jobs for conditional and routine tasks, provides statistical history reports for trend analysis and capacity planning, schedules batch builds and utility jobs in the DB2 administrative task scheduler and provides support for DB2 data page browsing and editing.
Speaker: Lloyd Matthews, US Senate, Sr Principal - DBA
- IDZ-1134A Distributed Relational Database Architecture (DRDA) Traffic? IBM OMEGAMON XE Extended Insight Makes It Easy!This session looks at how Charles Schwab, one of the worlds largest financial services leader, deals with ever-growing activity of distributed clients accessing IBM DB2 for z/OS by way of DRDA. Because their business is continually growing, Charles Schwab saw growing numbers of remote clients using stored procedure or dynamic SQL accessing DB2 for z/OS by way of DRDA. Using the IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE Performance Expert (OMPE) for DB2 for z/OS Extended Insight feature, they’re able to see all the layers in their network to identify, isolate and resolve the issue before it turns into a performance issue. This detailed session shows how Charles Schwab solves remote client network issues to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
Speaker: Gary Roth, Charles Schwab, Technical Director
- IDZ-1135A IBM DB2 for z/OS Utilities UpdateCore enterprise solutions continue to push the limits on performance, continuous availability, and environment simplification. This session will focus on the latest enhancements in the DB2 for z/OS Utilities that can significantly improve performance and availability and how new function enhancements matter to you.
Speaker: Haakon Roberts, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1155B Understanding IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON for DB2 Batch Reporting, Customization and Tuning PracticesThis session will present IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON for DB2 batch reporting capabilities, customization and tuning practices in a step-by-step manner, supported with screen shots. Well cover basic service management facility (SMF) customization to DB2 zParms. Which IBM DB2 trace classes are necessary for which reports? Well show you simple to intermediate real-world examples, as well as all types of batch report samples with different usage requirements with real world figures. Daily reports, such as statistics and accounting, and on demand reports, such as audit, will be covered. Well also share real-world DB2 performance use cases and issues solved with different reports.
Speaker: Cuneyt Goksu, VBT, IBM Gold Consultant
- IDZ-1195A Smarter IBM DB2 Application Development Using the IBM Family of ToolsSmarter development tools can dramatically improve development and modernization processes for your critical IBM z/OS applications. This session demonstrates IBM tools used together in a real-world scenario where a quick change is needed to an IBM DB2 database and an application dependent upon it. Staff team up to rapidly make the change, assessing and modifying the database structure; generating test data; then altering, building and testing the application. The end-to-end demo shows integrated IBM products being used to seamlessly accomplish the tasks, including IBM Data Studio, IBM InfoSphere Data Architect, InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management, IBM Rational Team Concert, IBM Debug Tool for z/OS, and Rational Developer for System z.
David M. Bean, IBM, Senior IT Specialist; Jeffrey D. Merritt, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Tools Technical Specialist
- IDZ-1199A Replaying Production Workloads in a Test Environment? Do It With IBM InfoSphere Optim Capture and ReplayDatabase environments constantly change. Database servers are periodically upgraded, configurations are changed and databases tuned. In this session well explore how you can use IBM InfoSphere Optim Capture and Replay to capture production workloads that are of interest to you and replay them in a dedicated environment to assess the impact of database-side changes. Did the workload execute as expected? Was there any difference in performance? Interested to hear more? Join us!
Speaker: Curt L. Cotner, IBM, IBM Fellow
- IDZ-1246A Improving IBM DB2 for z/OS Utility Performance, While Reducing CostsNationwide Mutual Insurance Company, a large IBM DB2 for z/OS client, realized that the IBM DB2 Utilities Suite made many performance improvements, especially in DB2 9 and DB2 10. They were easily able to leverage the enhancements to the DB2 Utilities to improve performance. As an added benefit, Nationwide reduced operating and maintenance costs. Learn how Nationwide improved LOAD performance and even avoided REORGs altogether. This session will cover best practices that all IBM DB2 Utility clients will find useful.
Speakers: Michael Hood, Nationwide Insurance, Consultant, Database Engineering; Haakon Roberts, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1312A IBM DB2 for z/OS Backup and Recovery Update: Versions 9 and 10Efficient backup and recovery provides the proper safety net when disaster strikes. Come to this session to learn how DB2 for z/OS customers can benefit of using FlashCopy to support database backup and recovery and how you can benefit by using the DS8K Space Efficient FlashCopy and the Fast Reverse Restore functions supported by HSM in z/OS 1.12.
Speaker: James Z. Teng, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1620A Proactive performance tuning: A Day in the Life of a DBA at Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP)Come learn how Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP) uses IBM DB2 Query Monitor for z/OS to proactively identify poorly performing SQL queries. Well also share with you how ADP, through tight integration with IBM Optim Query Workload Tuner for z/OS, used its expert advice to tune poorly performing query workloads driving business results and fostering teamwork across the data environment. Our ADP speaker will discuss how ADP's use of IBM DB2 Query Monitor and Optim Query Workload Tuner eliminated time-consuming manual processes and freed up ADP database administrators to focus on strategic high-value projects.
Speakers: Rachel Niedzwiecki, Automatic Data Processing, Inc., Technologies Consultant II/Senior DBA; Saghi Amirsoleymani, IBM, Solutions Architect
- IDZ-1829A On the Road With the IBM DB2 Administration Tool for z/OS: Cool and Getting CoolerLearn how one of the largest US banks, Fifth Third Bank, uses the IBM DB2 Administration Tool for z/OS. Well cover some of the basics for catalog navigation and object management, then move into high gear with more complex change management topics, such as dropping and creating a primary key and its index, running the compare process and generating worklists. Well also cover some of the new features, such as change management batch and more. Take a spin down Route 53 and learn how you can improve your day-to-day DB2 for z/OS administrative tasks to make the DBA ride easy and fun!
Speaker: Lisa Westcott-Dryer, Fifth Third Bank, Database Administrator
- IDZ-1844A Stored Procedure & SQL Monitoring/Tuning for IBM DB2 for z/OSWhen IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert (OMPE) Extended Insight on z/OS V5.1.0 offered SQL end-to-end monitoring, it was enhanced to monitor stored procedures and SQL workloads executed by distributed and host applications. It enables zooming into the stored procedures to show the SQL executed within the stored procedures, using a new SQL dashboard and the web console of the Extended Insight feature. In this hands-on lab, you?ll learn how to use the web-user interface and how to monitor the stored procedures workloads of distributed and host application programs. Other OMPE functions, like end-to-end monitoring, integration with IBM InfoSphere Optim Query Workload Tuner and user interfaces are available to run optional tasks. Speakers: Matthias Tschaffler, IBM, Advisor Software Engineer; Norbert Jenninger, IBM, Product Manager; Saghi Amirsoleymani, IBM, Solutions Architect
- IDZ-1840A Protecting Your IBM DB2 for z/OS Assets With Effective Backup and Recovery StrategiesThis session covers some of the procedures that are often overlooked, because they are not part of your day-to-day DBA operations. But, these are the pertinent and strategic items that, if implemented, will save you time and money and, more important, protect your company's critical IBM DB2 for z/OS assets. We'll look at some client scenarios in which you'll be able to take the techniques and examples provided and apply them to your environment. The session will also share examples for implementing better recovery processes in order to meet your recovery time objectives.
Speakers: J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Anthony Ciabottoni, Rocket Software; Hendrik Mynhardt, IBM, Senior Certified Consulting IT Specialist
- IDZ-1844A Stored Procedure and SQL Monitoring/Tuning for IBM DB2 for z/OSWhen IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert (OMPE) Extended Insight on z/OS V5.1.0 offered SQL end-to-end monitoring, it was enhanced to monitor stored procedures and SQL workloads executed by distributed and host applications. It enables zooming into the stored procedures to show the SQL executed within the stored procedures, using a new SQL dashboard and the web console of the Extended Insight feature. In this hands-on lab, you’ll learn how to use the web-user interface and how to monitor the stored procedures workloads of distributed and host application programs. Other OMPE functions, like end-to-end monitoring, integration with IBM InfoSphere Optim Query Workload Tuner and user interfaces are available to run optional tasks. Speakers: Matthias Tschaffler, IBM, Advisor Software Engineer; Norbert Jenninger, IBM, Product Manager; Saghi Amirsoleymani, IBM, Solutions Architect
- IDZ-2068A Monitoring and Problem Detection of Stored Procedures, SQL and more - SolvedTo monitor an IBM DB2 stored procedures invocation is one thing, but to monitor what happens inside of a stored procedure and what is causing the slow down of a stored procedure, or even of nested stored procedures, is somehow complex and not well supported, if at all, by any monitoring software. IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert (OMPE) on z/OS V5.1.1 was enhanced to provide you with an easy-to-use interface and deep insights into the SQL activities of stored-procedure executions from various perspectives. Together with the stored procedures accounting report, other improvements and integration with other tools, OMPE for z/OS V5.1.1 provides you with new monitoring solutions unparalleled in the market.
Speakers: Norbert Jenninger, IBM, Product Manager; Matthias Tschaffler, IBM, Advisor Software Engineer
- IDZ-2343A System-Level Backup: Disaster Recovery for the Rest of UsThis presentation covers improvements to the "traditional" or non-mirroring disaster scenario. Enhancements to the Systems-Level Backup utilities in IBM DB2 and IBM z/OS versions make this one-step backup and one-step restoration useful for the majority of us who have not implemented hardware-mirroring scenarios. Keeping the same recovery point objective (RPO), you can reduce your recovery time objective (RTO) from one (or more) days to a few hours.
Speaker: Judy J. Ruby-Brown, IBM, Executive IT Specialist
- IDZ-2510A InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager for DB2 for z/OS Makes It Easy to Control Your Distributed EnvironmentIBM InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager provides IBM DB2 for z/OS DBAs with deep insights into their distributed environment, answering questions such as: Which clients connect to which data servers? What levels of drivers are being used? What configuration changes were made recently on the data server side and on the client side? It provides knobs to penalty-box-specific application transactions that misbehave, continually maps workloads to desired IBM Workload Manager service classes, throttles application connections at the data source or driver and redirects specific client connections for load balancing, high availability, or both. This session shows you how InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager addresses these pain points.
Speakers: Diwakar Kale, Fidelity Investments, Director; Philip Czachorowski, Fidelity Investments, Database Architect; Somil Kulkarni, IBM, Sr Technical Manager, OCM development
- IDZ-2514A Application Development Best Practices for IBM DB2 and DB2 ConnectJava and Open Database Connectivity (JDBC and ODBC) and .NET applications are the mainstay for all IBM DB2 servers and for DB2 Connect. Typical applications and usage scenarios are discussed, with examples. These environments JDBC 4.0 and 4.1, .NET 4.0 and 4.5, ODBC 3.8are constantly evolving and you need to know the latest specifications and what driver levels are supported. The drivers of these APIs are evolving to take advantage of the latest server features for high availability, new data types, performance, monitoring and configuration tools. DB2 10 for z/OS, DB2 10.1 for Linux, UNIX and Windows, OPM EI, OCM and IBM InfoSphere Optim pureQuery. We'll delve into each of these and discuss current best practices and what’s new in each.
Brent Gross, IBM, Software Engineer; Satheesh Bandaram, IBM, Senior Development Manager
- IDZ-2644A Non-Standard Data Recovery Techniques, Using Standard UtilitiesEveryone can get caught in the middle of the night, because of dropping the wrong object or making changes that don't quite work out and breaking the data. This presentation will allow you to take a different view of recovery, and perhaps give you some insight into alternative approaches to resolving some difficult recovery issues. The session includes some real-life examples of people preserving their careers by recovering the unrecoverable data, using off-label techniques of standard supplied tools.
Speakers: Wen Jie Zhu, IBM, Senior Software Engineer; Nigel G. Slinger, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-3419A Improving IBM DB2 Utility Sort PerformanceThis session focuses on how a large western statewide university client using the IBM DB2 for z/OS environment was able to reduce their CPU usage and elapsed time during DB2 utility processing. We'll show different configurations and testing results using IBM DB2 Sort for z/OS with the IBM DB2 Utilities Suite. We'll also show various sizes of utility jobs with different index loads, and how DB2 Sort is able to optimize memory usage for the different index requirements.
Speaker: Roy Reynolds, University of California - Office of the President, Senior Database Administrator
- IDZ-3720A IBM DB2 QMF 10: Hands On With the New Business Analytics VersionInstall IBM DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 and walk through a hands-on lab and demo. At the completion of this lab, you'll be able to perform face-to-face demo activities for clients with live data. No connectivity is required, as the installation will be a self-contained implementation. Skills transferred will include metadata modeling, query interfaces, reporting, dashboards and more. DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 incorporates new data federation functions, enhanced web access with mobile device support and an enhanced query interface. Speakers:John M. Biere, IBM, WW Tech. Marketing Mgr; Peter Richardson, Rocket Software, Sr. Product Manager
- IDZ-3738A Getting the Most Value From Your IBM DB2 for z/OS Tools InvestmentThis session looks at IBM DB2 for z/OS Tools with examples of how clients have used the products together to derive the most value in their environment. Well cover specific integration points using client scenarios in the areas of utility management, performance management and database administration. For the utilities area, well focus on ways to significantly reduce CPU usage and elapsed time and increase zIIP offload. For performance management, you'll learn how key integration across multiple tools will enable you to proactively monitor and tune DB2 for optimum performance. And finally, for database administration, well show you some new integration points that will make your DBA workload easier and more effective.
Speakers: Calene Janacek, IBM, DB2 Tools Strategist; Paul D. Clark, IBM, DB2 Tools Strategist
- IDZ-3942 IBM DB2 for z/OS and Tools: Ask the Experts PanelExchange challenges, strategies and success stories during these informal discussions over lunch. Speakers: Jeff Josten, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect; J.J. Campbell, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Namik Hrle, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Chris Crone, IBM Distinguished Engineer, DB2 for z/OS Development; Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
- ILG-3308A Lowering Costs & Risks in a World with Rapidly Increasing Volumes of DataThe world's data is set to increase 44 times by 2020. At the same time, organizations are battling increasing business risk, operational costs and more demanding service-level agreements. More information can help improve the decision-making process, provide deeper insights and present a more complete picture, but organizations are being required to retain it longer for compliance and legal reasons. Learn how IBM InfoSphere Optim and the IBM System z platform is helping organizations lower risks and costs while improving system and application performance, at both department and enterprise levels by identifying the existing data, and its lineage, automating and intelligently archiving data; and leveraging predefined or custom policies. Speakers: Claudio A. Zancani, IBM, WW Optim Leader - System z ; Mark T. Simmonds, IBM, Sr. Product Mktg. Mg. - System z
- ILG-3498A Information Governance Factory for Test Data Management and Data PrivacyThis session provides a practical approach to implementing large-scale test data management (TDM) and data masking solutions to accelerate provisioning of data for development and quality assurance in an information governance initiative. Speaker: Claudio A. Zancani, IBM, WW Optim Leader - System z
- ILG-3515A Information Governance with IBM InfoSphere Optim Software: A Case StudyIn this session youll be provided an analysis of an information governance case study in which IBM InfoSphere Optim software was used. Among the topics covered will be the project approach, plan adjustments and lessons learned. Speaker: Claudio A. Zancani, IBM, WW Optim Leader - System z
- ILS-3115A One Step Closer to Making Data Breaches a Thing of the PastDatabases contain an organization's most valuable assets: they are where customer data, financial records and other sensitive information are stored. They have become a primary target of attacks by hackers and insiders with malicious intent. Investigations over the past several years show that 75 - 92 percent of compromised records originated in database servers. While IBM DB2 for z/OS may hold the vast majority of your data, there may also be sensitive data held in other databases across multiple platforms. Learn how clients have used IBM InfoSphere Guardium to help reduce threats, prevent breaches and streamline compliance activities to reduce operational costs. Speakers: Ernest L. Mancill, IBM, Executive IT Specialist; Mark T. Simmonds, IBM, Sr. Product Mktg. Mg.r - System z
- IMS-1830A Finding Problems in a Mixed Environment: Transaction Analysis WorkbenchImagine that your users report slow response time from your IBM Information Management System (IMS), but you suspect that other systems are responsible. For example, what appears to be an IMS performance problem could be a CICS, IBM DB2, IBM WebSphere or IBM z/OS performance problem. Your challenge is to correlate performance data in IMS with activity in these other systems in order to discover the cause of the slow response time. Transaction Analysis Workbench is a new IMS tool that can help you meet this challenge. In this session, we discuss how to approach this type of situation, how to gather the necessary information from multiple subsystems, and how to then analyze, diagnose and resolve the problem.
Speaker: Jim Martin, Fundi, US Representation for Fundi
- IMS-1833A IMS Version-to-Version Migration with IMS Cloning ToolAttend this session and learn how the IBM IMS Cloning Tool can help you migrate to IMS 12. You can use this tool to make an exact clone of your production environment without having to copy all the data that is in your production databases. There is no system generation required. As a result, you can apply IMS 12 and evaluate any initial impact to your system. You can then use the IMS Cloning Tool to bring over the data from databases as needed to test database-specific features, critical application processes, performance and packaged software.
Speaker: Ron Bisceglia, Rocket Software, Lead Software Developer
- IMS-1838A Continued Modernization of IMS AdministrationIMS is sometimes viewed as a legacy product where nothing changes. At IBM, we do not agree. IBM has moved decisively toward autonomics and modernization of the tooling that surrounds IMS. IMS is a database and transaction manager that can be extensively optimized and calibrated in order to achieve the best possible performance. However, IMS administrators are often now the graduates of schools that may not teach them to understand the mainframe. IMS Tools provides an easy way to get the best possible performance from the databases that house your most critical business data and processes. Come and hear the latest news about our efforts to facilitate your IMS administration.
Speaker: Janet Leblanc, IBM, IBM IMS Tools Architect/Strategist
- IMS-1843A IMS Tools Autonomics and IMS Administration Console: Simplified IMS Administration and Increased ROImagine that all the information you need to manage your critical IMS databases is available in one place, accessible from a standard Web browser, and can notify you via email or text before a critical situation occurs. Imagine no more; an autonomics solution and the IMS Administration Console are here. Come and hear about the capabilities that are available and learn what the future will hold for fully autonomic solutions. We will show you what the IMS Administration Console has to offer and how, when coupled with the autonomics solution, it can help ease the burden of IMS database maintenance for both experienced and junior users. If you are not already using the IMS Administration Console, you may want to after this session.
Speakers: Christopher Holtz, IBM, Software Designer; Robert Magid, IBM, Technical Architect IMS Tools
- IMS-2832A Using Replication to Take IMS Availability to the Next LevelThis session will discuss the use of asynchronous software replication to improve your IMS system resiliency and availability. The discussion will cover various availability solutions for IMS, but will focus on the benefits of InfoSphere IMS Replication for z/OS and how it can be used to help provide improved workload management and isolation. The session will also address some of the implementation details of the product and their implications for your IMS production system.
Speaker: Greg Vance, IBM, IMS Senior Software Engineer
- IMS-3215A IMS and Rational: A Partnership That Pays You DividendsThe partnership between IMS and Rational began in 1998 when TM Resource Adapter shipped with Rational Application Developer, and it has not slowed since. In this session, Evgeni Liakovich from IMS Development and David Bean from Rational Development for System z team up to show how these two solutions combine to help IMS clients continue to derive value from their existing IMS investments while also creating new value with new solutions. From RAD to RDz to RAA to RDzUT, IMS partners with Rational to keep its clients moving forward. If you are in the midst of modernizing your IMS applications, you won’t want to miss this!
Speakers: Evgeni Liakhovich, IBM, IMS L2 On Demand Technical Support; David M. Bean, IBM, Senior IT Specialist
Gartner VP Donald Feinberg and Dan Wardman, IBM VP IM Development, lead a discussion on the future of data management and the System z platform.
Ask the System z Experts: System z software technical experts answer your questions.
Florida Hospital describes their migration from Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 for z/OS, and the resulting benefits.