BA/DW (Business analytics/data warehousing) sessions
Click on the triangle before each session title to view description and speakers
- BBI-1054A Revisiting Miami-Dade County with IBM Cognos Solutions on Linux for IBM System zThis session will revisit Miami-Dade County's successful implementation of IBM Cognos solutions on Linux for IBM System z. You’ll learn what has changed in the two years since Miami-Dade County’s presentation at Information On Demand in 2010, and hear about the increase in the workload and additional success stories. The session will also include a discussion of tips and tricks for the installation and upgrade to IBM Cognos 10 on System z.
Speakers: Jaci Newmark, Miami-Dade County, Sr. BI Architect; Rebecca Wormleighton, IBM, Sr Product Marketing Manager
- BBI-1734 How IBM Uses Business Analytics for Its Own Competitive AdvantageIBM is the largest customer for Cognos solutions, with over 200,000 users worldwide. Join this session to hear how IBM is transforming itself using a centralized, cloud-based Business Analytics deployment model for moving to the latest version of Cognos solutions (V10.1.1), built on System z. You'll learn how this effort creates a true partnership between different teams within IBM, including the Analytics@IBM Program Office and the CIO's Business Analytics Center of Competency. The session will outline our business analytics transformation journey and provide some real-life examples of best practices and pitfalls to avoid. This will be a colorful and very useful presentation of how IBM is maturing with Business Analytics to gain a competitive advantage.
- BBI-2926A Best Practices for Integrating and Optimizing IBM Cognos Business Intelligence on IBM System zAre you planning or are in the process of deploying IBM Cognos Business Intelligence on IBM System z? Whether you are a current customer or planning to move to Cognos Business Intelligence, this session will provide integration and optimization tips and tricks to help you quickly, efficiently and effectively get your solution up and running. This session will include details on performance testing, sizing, installing, deploying, tuning and troubleshooting your Cognos Business Intelligence implementation on System z for maximum return on investment.
Speakers: Jim Youldassis, IBM, Technical Architect; Ann Jackson, IBM, Cognos on System z Development; Amanda Bright, IBM, Advisory Product Manager, Cognos on System z
- IDW-1626A zOLTAP - Accelerate SPSS Modeling and Data Mining Using IDAA on zThese hour-long informal sessions give you the opportunity to discuss your technical questions with product experts and developers.
Speakers: Oliver Benke, IBM, Software Developer; Oliver Draese, IBM, STSM, IDAA Lead Architect; Roland Seiffert, IBM, STSM, Systems Optimization Competency Center
- IDW-1891A Aetna Inc.'s User Experience with IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator and IBM NetezzaReview the recent proof of concept (POC) experience that Aetna Inc. obtained, using IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator and IBM Netezza.
Speakers: Jeffrey Kohan, Aetna, Systems Engineering Manager; Alan J. Meyer, IBM, Sr. Marketing Manager, System z Data Warehousing
- IDW-2894A Ask the Experts: Data Warehousing on System zThese hour-long informal sessions give you the opportunity to discuss your technical questions with product experts and developers.
Speakers: William J. Favero, IBM, IT Specialist; Gary Crupi, IBM, Executive IT Specialist; Jonathan Sloan, IBM, Executive Consultant; Ambica Bhasin, IBM, Sr. Product Manager, Data Warehousing on System z
- IDZ-1005A IBM DB2 QMF 10: The Business Analytics VersionReal-time business analytics on your core enterprise data delivers key competitive advantages. QMF 10 delivers easy-to-use analytics through a multitude of new features and functions including enhanced database support, OLAP support, graphical query & analysis, dashboards, mobile device support and more. Learn how customers are using the newest QMF features and functions to efficiently deliver competitive advantages for their business. This is not your father's QMF! (Trial copies of the new QMF will be made available for attendees.)
Speakers: John M. Biere, IBM, WW Tech. Marketing Mgr.; Peter Richardson, Rocket Software, Sr. Product Manager
- IDZ-1079A What Can I Do to Protect IBM DB2 Against Warehousing, IBM WebSphere and Itself?True continuous availability is critical for core enterprise solutions. This session shows you how customers are able to provide true continuous availability for 3 different solutions: 1) Data Warehousing 2) Application Servers, and 3) highly scalable solutions that necessitate a vertically scalable database subsystem.
Speaker: Adrian G. Burke, IBM, DB2 SWAT Team SVL
- IDZ-1329A Agile Big Data Analytics: Implementing a 22-Billion-Row Data WarehouseThis presentation discusses the design, architecture, metadata, performance and other experiences of building a big data and analytics data warehouse system. You’ll learn about the real-life issues, agile development considerations and solutions that building a data warehouse of more than 22 billion rows in six months entailed. This presentation will help you understand techniques to manage, design and leverage the big data issues for a more in-depth understanding of your business. This presentation will help you understand all these experiences that took processes from 37 hours to seconds, so you can create a successful big data design and scalable data warehouse analytic architecture.
Speaker: Dave Beulke, Dave Beulke and Associates, President
- IDZ-1665B Improve Analysis with the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator at Banco do BrasilThis session will demonstrate how the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator can improve business intelligence and analytics and consolidate the data warehousing environment with DB2 for z/OS.
Speakers: Italo Freitas, Banco do Brasil, Gerente de Equipe UE; Fabricio Dos Santos Raposo Pimentel, IBM, Information Architect
- IDZ-1837A Big Data on Big Iron: How We Migrated Our Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 10 for z/OSThis session will follow the journey of a faltering Oracle warehouse that was migrated to IBM DB2 for z/OS. It will explore the many reasons that DB2 for z/OS is not only capable, but excels at the big complex queries that today's warehouses demand. We'll examine the many technical differences between Oracle and DB2 10 for z/OS that make the warehouse on Big Iron shine. You’ll look at the IBM System z SuperServer in a new light after seeing the power and versatility of this database and hardware combination.
Speakers: Scott Morrell, Florida Hospital, Sr. Software Architect; Robert Goodman, Florida Hospital, Sr. DBA / DR Coordinator
- IDZ-1972B IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator in Production at Nova Ljubljanska banka (NLB): First-Hand ExperienceNova Ljubljanska banka (NLB) is the largest bank in Slovenia. As the leader in innovative product and services offerings, NLB requires reliable, versatile and well-performing infrastructure for building business analytics solutions. NLB decided to extend its existing database platform, based on IBM DB2 for z/OS, with DB2 Analytics Accelerator, taking advantage of its world-class query performance, preserving the IBM System z quality of service and non-disruptive nature of the solution. In this presentation we share our experiences, starting as early adopters of the predecessor to IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator, IBM Smart Analytics Optimizer, and continuing as the first implementation worldwide of IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator in production.
Speakers: Mitja Makovec, NLB d.d., DBA; Irena Starman, NLB d.d., Director IT development division; Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2030B Introducing the Next Generation DB2 Analytics AcceleratorWith query speed performance improvements of 2 hours to 5 seconds how could the DB2 Analytics Accelerator be better? That’s what this session will focus on! IBM is adding a number of new features and key enhancements that improve performance and provide additional cost savings to name a few. This session will not only cover these key enhancements, but dive into both the underlying technologies and the business value of each. The DB2 Analytics Accelerator provides world-class data-intensive complex query performance transparently to DB2 for z/OS users. Hear the latest news from DB2 Analytics Accelerator development and learn about the trends and directions of this developing technology.
Speakers: Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2848A Achieving Extreme Performance with the DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS (IDAA) - BI Day Performance TestingThe DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS (IDAA) seamlessly joins the massively parallel analytics architecture of Netezza to the reliable and proven DB2 for z/OS, providing astounding performance acceleration for complex business analytics workloads while reducing cost and complexity. The SWG Competitive Project Office put IDAA to the test using the BI Day benchmark. By using a concurrent mix of simple, intermediate, and highly complex reports generated by Cognos, BI Day can stress even the largest data warehouse system. This session presents the detailed results of these tests, the advantages IDAA brings to System z for data warehousing and data mart consolidation, and how System z with IDAA compares to a well known System z competitor.
Speaker: Matthew M. Walli, IBM, Information Architect, Business Intelligence
- IDZ-3154A Data Warehousing on IBM System z Best PracticesData warehousing on IBM System z is getting a lot of interest today. However, that interest is also generating a lot of questions. If you want to put your warehouse on System z using IBM DB2, or if you all ready have a warehouse on System z, you may want to know some of the best practices that have been learned over the years. This presentation will help answer your questions about doing warehousing on System z successfully. Some examples of what we’ll be discussing are DB2 DSNZPARMs, buffer pools, table space choices, caching structures, sorting and utility processing. We'll also examine query performance, SQL structure choices and SQL analysis, along with looking at some of the tools available.
Speakers: William J. Favero, IBM, IT Specialist; Gary Crupi, IBM, Executive IT Specialist
- IDZ-2054A Hands-on lab: The IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator Hands-On Learning LabThe IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator brings revolutionary query performance to IBM DB2 for z/OS for select queries with great cost and performance characteristics. It is a workload-optimized, appliance add-on that enables the integration of business insights into operational processes to drive winning strategies. DB2 Analytics Accelerator is deeply integrated with DB2 9 and DB2 10 to combine the best of both IBM System z and IBM Netezza technologies to deliver unparalleled, mixed workload performance to DB2 applications transparently. And, it opens unique opportunities for System z to meet new complex analytic business needs. This hands-on lab contains step-by-step instructions on using DB2 Analytics Accelerator to accelerate DB2 queries.
Speakers: Ruiping Li, IBM, Software Engineer; vCJ Chang, IBM, Software Engineer; Carlos Javier Caballero Grolimund, IBM, Software Developer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer; Jane Man, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer
- IDZ-2521A Hands-on lab: Predictive Analytics With IBM SPSS in IBM DB2 for z/OS: What Every DBA and Developer Should KnowThis hands-on learning session focuses on using IBM SPSS Modeler and Decision Management, with IBM DB2 for z/OS as the database server. We illustrate how to use our versatile data mining Modeler workbench to create predictive models with in-database mining, SQL pushback and UDF scoring; how to use Decision Management and Collaboration and Deployment Services to build decisions and deploy predictive information to your existing processes seamlessly for in-database transactional scoring and batch scoring with great performance; what to do in the DB2 server; and what information the application needs to create an enterprise solution for fraud detection, cross selling, credit scoring and client churn reduction to optimize profit, minimize cost.
Speakers: Jane Man, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-3720A Hands-on lab: IBM DB2 QMF 10: Hands On With the New Business Analytics VersionInstall IBM DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 and walk through a hands-on lab and demo. At the completion of this lab, you'll be able to perform face-to-face demo activities for clients with live data. No connectivity is required, as the installation will be a self-contained implementation. Skills transferred will include metadata modeling, query interfaces, reporting, dashboards and more. DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 incorporates new data federation functions, enhanced web access with mobile device support and an enhanced query interface.
Speakers: John M. Biere, IBM, WW Tech. Marketing Mgr.; Peter Richardson, Rocket Software, Sr. Product Manager
Gartner VP Donald Feinberg and Dan Wardman, IBM VP IM Development, lead a discussion on the future of data management and the System z platform.
Ask the System z Experts: System z software technical experts answer your questions.
Florida Hospital describes their migration from Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 for z/OS, and the resulting benefits.