Click on the triangle before each session title to view description and speakers
- IDZ-1284B IBM DB2 and XML: Excellent Opportunity or Extra Problems? Are You Ready?Since IBM DB2 9, we have had the ability to store XML natively in DB2 tables. It’s really cool; it’s really powerful. But how do you start? What are your options? Do your developers know how to deal with this? Does my DBA speak Xpath, Xquery or am I looking at extraproblems? This presentation will start from the very basics and will explain both to developers as DBAs examine the possibilities and functionalities filled with working examples that you can take home and start playing around with. When you're a DBA, you’ll need to understand Xpath, Xquery and more. This presentation can set you on your way to XML excellence.
Speaker: Kurt Struyf, SuadaSoft, consultant
- IDZ-1290A Tips to Get Your IBM DB2 Storage Management RightIBM DB2 storage management on IBM z/OS is done using IBM Data Facility Storage Management Subsystem (DFSMS). With each release of DB2, DFSMS and new disk and tape architectures available on the market, new possibilities arise which can help you to make your DB2 storage management easier and more reliable. In this presentation well have a look at some of the new features of DB2 and DFSMS to manage your DB2 virtual storage access method (VSAM) datasets, catalogs, online and archive log data, image copies and so on. Well also share some experiences and choices made in our real customer environment. See how DFSMS can be used to automate your DB2 storage management operations as much as possible.
Speaker: Davy Goethals, ArcelorMittal, IT infrastructure architect
- IDZ-1545A IBM DB2 10: The Details on Temporal Tables and Time Travel QueriesTemporal tables and time travel queries are a very popular feature of IBM DB2 10, IBM z/OS and DB2 10 for Linux, UNIX and Windows. They are some of the most powerful automated database features to come out in some time. This session will go into depth about the things you need to understand and prepare for before using temporal tables. This will include proper table, index and table-space design and configuration, as well as the ongoing management of these objects. In addition, well be going into depth about exactly how time-travel queries work, the complexity with period specifications and the performance implications. This is a must-see session if you want your time travel queries to perform!
Speakers: Daniel Luksetich, DanL Database Consulting, Principal Consultant; XIAOHONG FU, IBM, Developer
- IDZ-1738A IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Security Features: Early Customer ExperiencesDB2 for z/OS security capabilities continue to deliver the highest security standards in the industry. DB2 10 introduced new security features to reduce the dependency on SYSADM authority, define privacy and security policies on a table level using row and column access controls, and enhance auditing capabilities using audit policies. This presentation will focus on some of the customer experiences of using these functions and best practices to protect your data, meet emerging regulatory compliance requirements and satisfy your auditor with minimum impact to applications.
Speaker: Gayathiri Chandran, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer
- IDZ-2418A Nationwide Experiences Deploying Trusted Contexts and RolesAt Nationwide, IBM DB2 Trusted Contexts and Roles are used in several different ways to solve a wide range of DB2 security challenges. This session give a high-level view of how Nationwide uses DB2 Trusted Contexts and Roles within their enterprise, including examples. Trusted Contexts are created using an external security DSNR class in RACF to allow DB2 to control ownership of DB2 objects. This enables a DBA to temporarily issue the ALTER VIEW statement to regenerate a view, even if the view is not owned by the DBA. Trusted Contexts are also incorporated into the batch scheduling process to give temporary SYSADM access while the DB2 system maintenance jobs are running against the DB2 Catalog and Directory.
Speaker: Robert (Bob) Tilkes, Nationwide Insurance, Consultant, Sr Eng Admin Lead - DB2 for z/OS; James W. Pickel, IBM, STSM, DB2 z/OS
- IDZ-3298B Cramming for IBM DB2 10 for z/OS DBA CertificationThis presentation is a certification preparation course intended to help you take the IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Database Administration exam (612).
Speaker: Susan Lawson, YLA, Consultant
- IDZ-1157A IBM DB2 Accounting 101: Performance Details for the Application DeveloperIt’s important that the application developer know the basics of IBM DB2 performance. This review will provide various examples of common DB2 performance scenarios and how the performance statistics are presented by way of DB2 accounting reports. Additional tuning details and suggestions will be provided on the common DB2 performance scenarios. The goal of this presentation is to help the application developer better understand DB2 performance issues and communicate more effectively on this important topic.
Speaker: Randy Ebersole, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Specialist
- IDZ-1195A Smarter IBM DB2 Application Development Using the IBM Family of ToolsSmarter development tools can dramatically improve development and modernization processes for your critical IBM z/OS applications. This session demonstrates IBM tools used together in a real-world scenario where a quick change is needed to an IBM DB2 database and an application dependent upon it. Staff team up to rapidly make the change, assessing and modifying the database structure; generating test data; then altering, building and testing the application. The end-to-end demo shows integrated IBM products being used to seamlessly accomplish the tasks, including IBM Data Studio, IBM InfoSphere Data Architect, InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management, IBM Rational Team Concert, IBM Debug Tool for z/OS, and Rational Developer for System z.
Speaker: David M. Bean, IBM, Senior IT Specialist; Jeffrey D. Merritt, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Tools Technical Specialist
- IDZ-1314A Hands-on lab: New Features in IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Improve Development ProductivityThis hand-on lab focuses on IBM DB2 10 features that improve development productivity. Extended online analytical processing (OLAP) SQL functions allow DB2 to process common OLAD queries efficiently, reducing elapsed time to extract large amounts of data for analysis. Greater TIMESTAMP precision provides greater flexibility and enables timestamps to be used as unique identifiers and reduce risk of generating duplicates. The TIMESTAMP WITH TIMEZONE feature supports applications used in multiple time zones. Implicit casting simplifies porting and improves developer productivity. XML Date/Time yields application flexibility to use XML in any application architecture solution. IBM XQuery simplifies the application logic handling XML documents.
Speakers: Jane Man, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer; Rick Chang, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1329A Agile Big Data Analytics: Implementing a 22-Billion-Row Data WarehouseThis presentation discusses the design, architecture, metadata, performance and other experiences of building a big data and analytics data warehouse system. You’ll learn about the real-life issues, agile development considerations and solutions that building a data warehouse of more than 22 billion rows in six months entailed. This presentation will help you understand techniques to manage, design and leverage the big data issues for a more in-depth understanding of your business. This presentation will help you understand all these experiences that took processes from 37 hours to seconds, so you can create a successful big data design and scalable data warehouse analytic architecture.
Speaker: Dave Beulke, Dave Beulke and Associates, President
- IDZ-1665B Improve Analysis with the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator at Banco do BrasilThis session will demonstrate how the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator can improve business intelligence and analytics and consolidate the data warehousing environment with DB2 for z/OS.
Speakers: Italo Freitas, Banco do Brasil, Gerente de Equipe UE; Fabricio Dos Santos Raposo Pimentel, IBM, Information Architect
- IDZ-1723A Application Best Practices and Recommendations Specific to IBM DB2 for z/OS Data SharingThis single session will introduce and discuss application and database best practices and recommendations specific to IBM DB2 for z/OS Data Sharing. The topics covered include the following: application perspective and enablement in IBM z/OS Parallel Sysplex environment, online migration of applications to a new level/version, rethinking existing application design choices and new application and database design choices. Special topics include high-performance insert, lock avoidance and sequentially assigned dumb key generation.
Speakers: J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Florence Dubois, IBM, IBM Certified Consulting IT Specialist
- IDZ-1837A Big Data on Big Iron: How We Migrated Our Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 10 for z/OSThis session will follow the journey of a faltering Oracle warehouse that was migrated to IBM DB2 for z/OS. It will explore the many reasons that DB2 for z/OS is not only capable, but excels at the big complex queries that today's warehouses demand. We'll examine the many technical differences between Oracle and DB2 10 for z/OS that make the warehouse on Big Iron shine. You’ll look at the IBM System z SuperServer in a new light after seeing the power and versatility of this database and hardware combination.
Speakers: Scott Morrell, Florida Hospital, Sr Software Architect; Robert Goodman, Florida Hospital, Sr DBA / DR Coordinator
- IDZ-1972B IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator in Production at Nova Ljubljanska banka (NLB): First-Hand ExperienceNova Ljubljanska banka (NLB) is the largest bank in Slovenia. As the leader in innovative product and services offerings, NLB requires reliable, versatile and well-performing infrastructure for building business analytics solutions. NLB decided to extend its existing database platform, based on IBM DB2 for z/OS, with DB2 Analytics Accelerator, taking advantage of its world-class query performance, preserving the IBM System z quality of service and non-disruptive nature of the solution. In this presentation we share our experiences, starting as early adopters of the predecessor to IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator, IBM Smart Analytics Optimizer, and continuing as the first implementation worldwide of IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator in production.
Speakers: Mitja Makovec, NLB d.d., DBA; Irena Starman, NLB d.d., Director IT development division; Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2081B Making the Most Out of Native SQL ProceduresNative SQL procedures were introduced in IBM DB2 9 for z/OS and have since become very popular with many DB2 users. Meg and Maryela will share considerations about migrating from external SQL Procedures to native SQL procedures, and will also speak about performance and storage usage. They’ll also provide some answers to frequently asked questions and present enhancements introduced in DB2 10.
Speakers: Meg Bernal, IBM, Software Developer; Maryela E. Weihrauch, IBM, IBM Distinguish Engineer DB2 for z/OS Development
- IDZ-2087A Experience With Native SQL Procedures at State FarmNative SQL procedures have become an integral part in the success of application development at State Farm. State Farm will share its success stories, best practices and challenges of deploying native SQL procedures. At the same time, you’ll hear from the IBM DB2 for z/OS development team about why and how the functionality was delivered. Use cases, migration considerations and application development will be discussed.
Speakers: Adam Jelinek, State Farm Insurance, Systems Analyst; Joe Carroll, State Farm Insurance, Systems Analyst; Meg Bernal, IBM, Software Developer;Maryela E. Weihrauch, IBM, IBM Distinguish Engineer DB2 for z/OS Development
- IDZ-2097A Discover Business Benefits of IBM Spatial Support for DB2 for z/OSDo you need to 1.Store and retrieve location content? 2. Generate and analyze geographic info? Traditionally applications have established countries & other geographic info by having end users select predefined values this can lead to incorrect information, impact decisions & costs. DB2 Spatial Support allows you to store and manage GPS/maps/location data for SQL application. Businesses can gain additional in-depth understanding as part of their process. This reduces human error via automation & integration. Auto Owners Insurance will share their experience of this technology and demonstrate how they benefited from injecting location data into their normal business process to solve challenging questions in the insurance industry.
Speaker: Ryan Dennings, Auto-Owners Insurance Company, Manager - Application Development
- IDZ-2137A Wells Fargo Bank Experience Using the IBM JDBC Driver in a Sysplex With an Update from IBMWells Fargo Banks distributed, high-availability environment includes large application server farms connecting to multiple IBM DB2 for z/OS data-sharing groups. The Wells Fargo Bank DB2 Connect and Sysplex configuration is reviewed, including DB2 Sysplex Workload Balancing. This environment requires that client Sysplex properties and disk data format (DDF) system parameters be reviewed and set appropriately to ensure applications meet their response goals. Sysplex recommendations provided were developed in conjunction with IBM and include JDBC properties and DB2 zPARM settings. In addition, IBM provides some recent changes in this configuration, including new driver property defaults and additional DB2 parameters to protect your systems.
Speakers: Ruben Valdovinos, Wells Fargo Bank, Data Base Analyst; James W. Pickel, IBM, STSM, DB2 z/OS
- IDZ-2514A Application Development Best Practices for IBM DB2 and DB2 ConnectJava and Open Database Connectivity (JDBC and ODBC) and .NET applications are the mainstay for all IBM DB2 servers and for DB2 Connect. Typical applications and usage scenarios are discussed, with examples. These environments JDBC 4.0 and 4.1, .NET 4.0 and 4.5, ODBC 3.8are constantly evolving and you need to know the latest specifications and what driver levels are supported. The drivers of these APIs are evolving to take advantage of the latest server features for high availability, new data types, performance, monitoring and configuration tools. DB2 10 for z/OS, DB2 10.1 for Linux, UNIX and Windows, OPM EI, OCM and IBM InfoSphere Optim pureQuery. We'll delve into each of these and discuss current best practices and what’s new in each.
Speakers: Brent Gross, IBM, Software Engineer; Satheesh Bandaram, IBM, Senior Development Manager
- IDZ-3257A New SQL Function for DB2 10IBM DB2 9 has been in the market for some time. However, many clients have not yet migrated to DB2 9, and some may go directly to DB2 10. This session will provide information on the SQL enhancements contained in these two DB2 releases and how to take advantage of these enhancements.
Speaker: Sheryl Larsen, Sheryl M. Larsen, Inc, President
- IDZ-3602A Write Time-Zone-Aware Applications on IBM DB2 10 for z/OSThis presentation provides an overview of IBM DB2 10 time-zone support. Well give tips on how to use the time-zone support to avoid all the problems caused by daylight savings time changes in the past and how to write applications deployed to clients across multiple time zones. Well also compare the performance of this new data type with that of the existing timestamp data type.
Speaker: Mengchu Cai, IBM, Senior software engineer
- IDZ-3674A IBM pureXML in Financial Applications: Experiences From VanguardThis presentation shares the first-hand experiences in design and implementation of using IBM pureXML in IBM DB2 for z/OS for financial applications in Vanguard. Well cover why we use XML and how we use it at the architecture level as well as implementation details. Well also share the benefits and lessons learned so far, and future plans.
Speaker: George White, The Vanguard Group, Data Architect; Milton Beaver, The Vanguard Group, DB2 Sysprog
- IDZ-3720A Hands-on lab: IBM DB2 QMF 10: Hands On With the New Business Analytics VersionInstall IBM DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 and walk through a hands-on lab and demo. At the completion of this lab, you'll be able to perform face-to-face demo activities for clients with live data. No connectivity is required, as the installation will be a self-contained implementation. Skills transferred will include metadata modeling, query interfaces, reporting, dashboards and more. DB2 QMF for Workstation with fixpack 5 incorporates new data federation functions, enhanced web access with mobile device support and an enhanced query interface.
Speakers: John M. BIERE, IBM, WW Tech. Marketing Mgr.; Peter Richardson, Rocket Software, Sr. Product Manager
- IDZ-1057A IBM DB2 10 for z/OS and BeyondDB2 10 has had the fastest adoption and production deployment in history. Why? This session focuses on the key technical advancements that are driving this demand, real-world experiences in deployment, and the value customers are seeing. We will also take a look forward at some of the technology trends that are driving future DB2 development and share some thoughts about what might appear in DB2 Sequoia, the next release of DB2.
Speaker: Jeff Josten, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect
- IDZ-1066A Ten Breakthroughs That Changed IBM DB2 ForeverIntroduced in 1983 when relational database systems were not the norm, IBM DB2 has grown by leaps and bounds since then. In the early 1980s, when DB2 was in its infancy, the general impression among clients was that DB2 was fine for information center applications, but that they should stick with information management software for the online transaction processing (OLTP) work that actually ran the business. My, how things have changed! What breakthroughs were made with DB2 over these three decades that have caused DB2 to be the high-speed, enterprise database management system (DBMS) with unparalleled transaction processing capabilities that it is today? Attend this presentation to find out!
Speaker: Craig Mullins, Mullins Consulting Inc., President & Principal Consultant
- IDZ-1118A Why Every IBM DB2 for z/OS Professional Needs to Understand IBM Disk and Tape VirtualizationModern disk and tape does not resemble older technology. What is the real picture regarding modern disk and tape? How does the newer technology change the management of your IBM DB2 environment? How does performance change? The real question is: why do I care about this new technology? Come find the answers regarding the new technology, and how to best leverage it for your DB2 environment.
Speaker: John Iczkovits, IBM, Senior IT Specialist
- IDZ-1138A IBM DB2 Design for High Availability and ScalabilityAre you overwhelmed by the growing amount of data in your environment? Are you maximizing application availability? As the number of tables with billions of rows continues to grow, so do the management challenges. This session will discuss the challenges and solutions for optimum availability, with techniques to efficiently and effectively manage very large amounts of data.
Speakers: Haakon Roberts, IBM, Distinguished Engineer; Andy Zhang, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer
- IDZ-1414B Large Objects in IBM DB2 for z/OS: Past, Present and FutureIncreasingly, applications require non-traditional types of data, such as images, to be stored as part of relational information. IBM DB2 for z/OS allows you to store this non-traditional data as large objects in your DB2 tables, thus greatly expanding the limits of what you can store in a single table. This session will illuminate the details of this capability, both from the application programmer’s point of view and from the database administrator’s point of view. Well discuss how the LOB support of DB2 for z/OS has evolved through the releases, as well as some possibilities for the future.
Speaker: Jay A. Yothers, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect
- IDZ-1436A International DB2 Users Group (IDUG) Shares IBM DB2 10 Upgrade Experiences From Community MembersThis session will be presented by the International DB2 Users Group (IDUG). IDUG will highlight and share IBM DB2 10 customer experiences, best practices and lessons learned by early adopters of DB2 10 within the IDUG community. IDUG is an independent user group for the IBM DB2 family of products and supports the DB2 community. It is perceived as a thought leader in the data management marketplace.
Speakers: Kurt Struyf, SuadaSoft, consultant; Julian Stuhler, Triton Consulting, Gold Consultant
- IDZ-1573A Hands-on lab: Information Time Travel with IBM DB2 for z/OS TemporalGain practical experience in the administration or application development capabilities or both of IBM DB2 10 for z/OS temporal features. Work with data definition language (DDL) to implement Business Time and System Time. Experience the extensions to SQL to work with these dimensions.
Speaker: Paul R. Bartak, IBM, DB2 Advisor
- IDZ-1680A Ten Rules of Thumb for Developers & DBAs working with DB2 for z/OSOver the years rules of thumb have been called for; therefore, we made a catalog of these for IBM's developers and DBAs to adhere to. It started with 10 rules for data manipulation language (DML), but soon it evolved to cover data definition language (DDL), design and application development. This session will show you the outline of these common rules and might inspire you to make up your own or to use the ones supplied in the session.
Speaker: Svenn-Aage Soenderskov, JN Data A/S, Systems Programmer/DBA
- IDZ-1718A Hands-on lab: IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Security Features: Security for a New AgeExplore the security features delivered in IBM DB2 for z/OS, versions 9 and 10. Work with Trusted Contexts and Roles, new Authorities, Permissions, Masks and Audit Policies.
Speaker: Paul R. Bartak, IBM, DB2 Advisor
- IDZ-2035B Dynamic Statements Cache: Everything You Need to KnowDynamic SQL dominates modern applications, and ensuring its optimal execution is very high on the list of application developers' and database administrators' tasks. This presentation provides deep insight into the inner workings of dynamic statements cache, as well as the system and application aspects of using it. Available monitoring techniques across IBM DB2 versions 8, 9 and 10 are covered in great detail, with a special focus on using the enhanced EXPLAIN functionality. Attendees will learn numerous hints and tips about how to monitor dynamic SQL, what the most relevant performance indicators are and how to collect them in the most efficient way.
Speaker: Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2498A Master Data Management with IBM DB2 z/OS: Hints and Tips to Run an IBM WebSphere Application SuccessfullyThe master data management (MDM) and IBM DB2 for z/OS performance team joined efforts to tune MDM to run efficiently and scale well with DB2 for z/OS as the database server. Working with many companies worldwide, the lessons learned could be applied to successfully run an IBM WebSphere application with DB2 for z/OS as the enterprise database server. The presentation shares a checklist for installing a WebSphere application like MDM with DB2 for z/OS successfully, as well as lessons learned to achieve high performance, availability and scalability.
Speakers: Maryela E. Weihrauch, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer DB2 for z/OS Development; David Zhang, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Performance Analyst
- IDZ-2521A Hands-on lab: Predictive Analytics With IBM SPSS in IBM DB2 for z/OS: What Every DBA and Developer Should KnowThis hands-on learning session focuses on using IBM SPSS Modeler and Decision Management, with IBM DB2 for z/OS as the database server. We illustrate how to use our versatile data mining Modeler workbench to create predictive models with in-database mining, SQL pushback and UDF scoring; how to use Decision Management and Collaboration and Deployment Services to build decisions and deploy predictive information to your existing processes seamlessly for in-database transactional scoring and batch scoring with great performance; what to do in the DB2 server; and what information the application needs to create an enterprise solution for fraud detection, cross selling, credit scoring and client churn reduction to optimize profit, minimize cost.
Speakers: Jane Man, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2816A IBM DB2 for z/OS Data Sharing: In-Depth Technical ExplorationAre you making the most of your DB2 for z/OS Data Sharing environment? This presentation goes beyond the introduction to data sharing and discusses technical details that apply to your DB2 for z/OS Data Sharing environment. The presentation includes how DB2 uses the lock structure and the group buffer pools, performance indicators for data sharing, changes you may see as your workload grows, and some options available to accommodate these changes.
Speaker: Mark S. Rader, IBM, Sr. Certified I/T Specialist
- IDZ-2822A IBM DB2 for z/OS and IBM Workload Manager for DB2 for z/OS Intersection: Understanding the BasicsConfused about what exactly the IBM Workload Manager for DB2 for z/OS is, how it manages work on your system and how it relates to IBM DB2 for z/OS? In this session, we review the Workload Manager features, including the types of goals you can set for each service class, importance levels and work classification. This information is the foundation for understanding how IBM DB2 for z/OS uses Workload Manager, including advanced Workload Manager functions, such as enclaves and application environments. We also explain the relationship between the different types of DB2 work and Workload Manager.
Speaker: Mark S. Rader, IBM, Sr. Certified I/T Specialist
- IDZ-2848A Achieving Extreme Performance with the DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS (IDAA) - BI Day Performance TestingThe DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS (IDAA) seamlessly joins the massively parallel analytics architecture of Netezza to the reliable and proven DB2 for z/OS, providing astounding performance acceleration for complex business analytics workloads while reducing cost and complexity. The SWG Competitive Project Office put IDAA to the test using the BI Day benchmark. By using a concurrent mix of simple, intermediate, and highly complex reports generated by Cognos, BI Day can stress even the largest data warehouse system. This session presents the detailed results of these tests, the advantages IDAA brings to System z for data warehousing and data mart consolidation, and how System z with IDAA compares to a well known System z competitor.
Speaker: Matthew M. Walli, IBM, Information Architect: Business Intelligence
- IDZ-2991A Social Business for IT Professionals: Career EnhancementsSocial networks such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and others are changing the way we do business and enhancing career opportunities. Everyone is being exposed to a host of social networks daily. Are they worth your time? Absolutely, if you know how to determine which ones are of value and can convince management to allow access. These sites provide a wealth of technical information and an opportunity to enhance personal your social footprint and develop career prospects. This presentation will take a look at what's available "out there" today to help build your skills and serve as your personal information resource. Well discuss how you can contribute to what's out there and how to correctly establish your own social presence on the Internet.
Speaker: Surekha Parekh, IBM, Worldwide Marketing Program Director; William J. Favero, IBM, IT Specialist
- IDZ-3154A Data Warehousing on IBM System z Best PracticesData warehousing on IBM System z is getting a lot of interest today. However, that interest is also generating a lot of questions. If you want to put your warehouse on System z using IBM DB2, or if you all ready have a warehouse on System z, you may want to know some of the best practices that have been learned over the years. This presentation will help answer your questions about doing warehousing on System z successfully. Some examples of what we’ll be discussing are DB2 DSNZPARMs, buffer pools, table space choices, caching structures, sorting and utility processing. We'll also examine query performance, SQL structure choices and SQL analysis, along with looking at some of the tools available.
Speakers: William J. Favero, IBM, IT Specialist; Gary Crupi, IBM, Executive IT Specialist
- IDZ-3435A System z Software Experts PanelThis session with discuss any aspect regarding System z. You will have access to the most technical experts at IBM from WebSphere, Rational, Information Management, and Tivoli.
Speakers: Penny J. Hill, IBM, Software Group Strategist; Jeff Josten, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect; Betty J. Patterson, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-3837B Get Ready for Big Data with IBM System zWith volumes of data growing exponentially, big data has risen to the top of the CIO's agenda and heading your way soon! But where and how do you start? While 80 percent of data might be unstructured, most enterprises' core business data resides in multi-terabyte databases; hence IBM System z has become pivotal to the success of big data initiatives. Attend this session and learn where big data is heading for the enterprise, discover entry points for where to begin, and hear real-life examples of organizations using System z and the information management portfolio for big data benefits.
Speaker: Stephen Mink, IBM, Senior Manager, System z Strategy
- IDZ-3840A IBM DB2 for z/OS and IBM System z: Integrated Computing PlatformIBM DB2 for z/OS has a long history of exploiting IBM z/OS and IBM System z enhancements. Examples of this include enterprise systems architecture (ESA) and 64-bit architecture and Parallel Sysplex (IBM DB2 Data Sharing). That's the past. This session focuses on the present and the future. In this session, we will discuss how DB2 is taking advantage of the latest changes in System z hardware and software to bring you a more robust, scalable and affordable computing platform today and in the future.
Speaker: Chris Crone, IBM, Distinguished Engineer, DB2 for z/OS Development
- IDZ-3921A BOF - IBM DB2 for z/OS e-Communities, Collaboration Groups -Social Networking WorldExchange challenges, strategies and success stories during these informal discussions over lunch.
Speakers: Surekha Parekh, IBM, Worldwide Marketing Program Director; William J. Favero, IBM, IT Specialist
- IDZ-3942B BOF: IBM DB2 for z/OS and Tools: Ask the Experts PanelExchange challenges, strategies and success stories during these informal discussions over lunch.
Speakers: Jeff Josten, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect; J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Chris Crone, IBM, Distinguished Engineer, DB2 for z/OS Development; Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
- IDZ-4152A System z Panel: Gartner Discusses the Future of the DatabaseJoin us to hear Gartner, the world's leading information technology research and advisory company, discuss the future of data management and the System z platform. Donald Feinberg, Gartner vice president and distinguished analyst will review the latest research and recommendations on database management systems, DB2 for z/OS, IMS, tools, data warehousing, business analytics, Big Data, application development and more. Dan Wardman, Vice President of Information Management Mainframe Software, will moderate this session. It promises to be informative, enlightening and interactive, so be sure to bring your questions for Gartner.
Speakers: Donald Feinberg, Gartner, VP Distinguished Analyst; Daniel Wardman, IBM, VP, IM Development
- IDZ-2032A IBM DB2 for z/OS Migration: Query Performance ConsiderationsThe IBM DB2 for z/OS optimizer is continually evolving with each release, and for static SQL, REBIND is recommended to take advantage of new optimizations. But how do clients minimize their exposure to access path regression for static SQL? What about dynamic SQL? And there is the RUNSTATS enhancements that came in DB2 9 and then in DB2 10. Can I model the potential impact before I get to production? What about data sharing coexistence? The questions are endless, and this presentation will attempt to outline how best to navigate how to exploit the RUNSTATS enhancements to make the most of plan management and proactive access path analysis whether you’re migrating from version 8 to 9, version 8 to 10 or version 9 to 10.
Speakers: Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member; J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2316A Rock and Roll: IBM DB2 10 Rolling Migration ExperienceWith an ever-growing demand for high availability, especially in the financial world, the IT staff is required to maintain and update the computer systems with minimal or zero down time. IBM DB2 and IBM System z enable such type of updates and migrations. In this session, we will present our experience at a bank with DB2 10 migration (CM and ENFM/NFM) in general, and specifically with "rolling migration." What did we have to take into consideration during each step of the migration? What were we worried about? How will DB2 10 help us maintain even higher availability of the system? And how will future maintenance rolls and migrations be easier with DB2 10 features?
Speaker: Michael Shaul, Bank Hapoalim, DBA
- IDZ-2356A What Is New, What Is Nice in IBM DB2 10 for Distributed Access?Updates on the new features and new performance opportunities available in IBM DB2 10 for z/OS for distributed access to DB2.
Speaker: Cristian Molaro, MConsulting Bvba, Independent Consultant
- IDZ-2838A Setting Yourself Up for Success With IBM DB2 10 for z/OS StatisticsThis presentation reviews the changes and improvements that are introduced with IBM DB2 10 for z/OS. That includes DB2 access path and space statistics: why you need to collect them and how DB2 uses the information. The real-time statistics are also reviewed and examples are given how you can use them to run utilities on an exception basis. A special focus is on tasks to perform before and during the migration to DB2 10 for z/OS.
Speaker: Timm Zimmermann, IBM, DB2 for z/OS SWAT Team - DB2 for z/OS Development
- IDZ-3640B The Nuts and Bolts of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and IBM DB2 10 for z/OSCome learn about Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and how FedEx implemented it to secure userid and password management from the application server to the IBM DB2 10 for z/OS data server. Roles and architectural overviews are covered, including the following: Digital Certificate, CSR, CA, AT-TLS Policy, RACFs role, DB2 Systems Program role and DDF setup, CDB/DDF setup of the secure port, and BSDS Alias DVIPA. Learn how to manage these components in a continuous-availability environment. What does Internet connection firewall (ICF) provide? Who is Verisign and why should a DB2 systems programmer care?
Speakers: Rob Crane, Fedex, Manager-IT; David Ahrens, FedEx, Principal DBA
- IDZ-3838A Baldor's DB2 10 Migration Experiences in SAP environmentSince the debut of DB2 10, many organizations are currently undertaking the project of implementing it within their environments. This presentation will share Baldor's experiences with DB2 10, from the commencement of the beta program to its implementation within our SAP production environments. Our migration experiences (including pre-migration runs to the local coffee shop), best practices, implementation benefits and cost savings will all be discussed.
Speakers: James Reed, IBM, Program Director, Product Marketing; Ralf Vierich, IBM, Architect - Cognos Cube Designer, Framework Manager
- IDZ-3839A IBM DB2 10 Client ExperiencesThis session will detail the process of upgrading to IBM DB2 10 and the discussion of client experiences with using DB2 10 in a production environment.
Speaker: William Shipley, Vanguard Group, Senior Database Administrator
- IDZ-4012A IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Migration Planning and Experiences - Part 1This two-part presentation will provide additional planning information; share surprises, pitfalls and lessons learned; provide hints and tips; enable fast start; introduce and discuss some further enhancements; and share the latest news on IBM’s popular database technology update.
Speaker: J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-4013A IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Migration Planning and Experiences - Part 2This two-part presentation will provide additional planning information; share surprises, pitfalls and lessons learned; provide hints and tips; enable fast start; introduce and discuss some further enhancements; and share the latest news on IBM’s popular database technology update.
Speaker: J.J. Campbell, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1079A What Can I Do to Protect IBM DB2 Against Warehousing, IBM WebSphere and Itself?True continuous availability is critical for core enterprise solutions. This session shows you how customers are able to provide true continuous availability for 3 different solutions: 1) Data Warehousing; 2) Application Servers; and 3) highly scalable solutions that necessitate a vertically scalable database subsystem.
Speaker: Adrian G. Burke, IBM, DB2 SWAT Team SVL
- IDZ-1090A Using the HINT options in IBM DB2 10Customers are continually looking for new ways to drive optimal performance and cost savings in their environments. DB2 10 delivered a better way to define and use HINTS - leading to better performance and greater cost savings. Come and hear Isaac Yassin IBM DB2 Gold Consultant share his experience.
Speaker: Isaac Yassin, IYC, CEO
- IDZ-1140A Looking Behind the Curtain of IBM DB2 for z/OS 10 Performance and Scalability: Stored Procedure AnalysisTwo primary focuses for IBM DB2 for z/OS 10 are scalability and performance. Monitoring and tuning stored procedure workloads has become more robust with new DB2 engine enhancements and IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE Performance Expert (OMPE) for DB2 for z/OS Extended Insight functionality. This session will cover end-to-end stored procedure analysis and demonstrate new OMPE Extended Insight for stored procedures. Statement-level performance analysis will be covered for both stored procedure and non-nested applications. A core understanding of DB2 engine-generated metrics and OMPE exploitation can enable optimal system tuning.
Speakers: JOHN B. TOBLER, IBM, Senior Software Engineer; Matthias Tschaffler, IBM, Advisor Software Engineer
- IDZ-1179A Something for (Almost) Nothing: Squeezing the Job LogsCapture and extract the wealth of "free" information sitting around unnoticed in the IBM DB2 job logs, including abending jobs, escalations, timeouts, deadlocks, overall logging activity and non-committing threads.
Speaker: Willy Unger, Telefonica, DBA
- IDZ-1311A An Overview of Buffer-Pool Management in IBM DB2Large databases with applications requiring a large number of disk I/O can cause performance challenges. Learning how to properly manage DB2 Buffer Pools can drive significant performance improvements and cost savings in these environments. In this presentation, you learn the design considerations and the trade-offs involved in managing buffer pools to maximize DB2 performance and get the most from your resources.
Speaker: James Z. Teng, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-1687A IBM DB2 10 for z/OS: Performance Best PracticeDB2 10 for z/OS has numerous new functions and performance features that you can take advantage of - both "out-of-the-box, and some that require user actions. This session focuses on new functions that require user actions to implement. For example, INCLUDE index, inline-LOB, and HASH access to the data, Dynamic Statement Caching, UTS enhancements, and many more. This session describes the expected benefit from new features, including core considerations and best practices to get the most out of DB2 10 performance functions. It includes various measurements conducted at SVL plus feedback from customer experiences.
Speaker: Akiko Hoshikawa, IBM, STSM
- IDZ-1845A Runstats Challenges for Optimal Query PerformanceAccurate and relevant statistics are the basis of reliable and good query performance. How do I identify the important statistics? How do I manage the collection of statistics? How do I handle statistics on tables that fluctuate dramatically in data volume? What features does IBM DB2 10 for z/OS provide to help with RUNSTATS challenges? In this session, we'll answer these questions and more as we discuss various RUNSTATS challenges and misconceptions.
Speakers: Jase Alpers, IBM, Senior Software Engineer; Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
- IDZ-1912B Slow Response: Is IBM DB2 the Culprit or the Victim?When there is a system-wide slowdown, IBM DB2 is invariably blamed. How can you determine whether DB2 is the culprit or a victim? What can you measure? What can you tune? Based on real-life experience in supporting various critical systems at DST Systems, Inc., we will discuss the symptoms, steps to identify the real problem and ways to resolve it. This presentation will cover system tuning, database tuning and application tuning.
Speaker: Ramu Nalluri, DST Systems, Database Consultant
- IDZ-1925B Exciting Query Performance Enhancements in IBM DB2 10 for z/OSCome learn the leading-edge query parallelism enhancements that reduce complex query elapsed time up to 10 times. Learn more query parallelism and more query zIIP exploitation that can reduce the total cost of ownership. Exciting new query access path and query optimization enhancements will be discussed, as will more-efficient predicate evaluation that reduces CPU usage. Hints and tips to boost query performance will be covered.
Speaker: James W. Guo, IBM, Senior Software Engineer
- IDZ-2030B Introducing the Next Generation DB2 Analytics AcceleratorWith query speed performance improvements of 2 hours to 5 seconds how could the DB2 Analytics Accelerator be better? That’s what this session will focus on! IBM is adding a number of new features and key enhancements that improve performance and provide additional cost savings to name a few. This session will not only cover these key enhancements, but dive into both the underlying technologies and the business value of each. The DB2 Analytics Accelerator provides world-class data-intensive complex query performance transparently to DB2 for z/OS users. Hear the latest news from DB2 Analytics Accelerator development and learn about the trends and directions of this developing technology.
Speakers: Namik Hrle, IBM, IBM Distinguished Engineer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
- IDZ-2049A Do These IBM DB2 10 Optimizer Enhancements Apply to Me?Client feedback from our IBM DB2 10 for z/OS Optimizer overview revealed that people would like to see more examples. This presentation takes the query optimization enhancements, such as in-list enhancements, predicate optimizations, safe optimization and SQL pagination, and provides more examples, detail and limitations about their usage. This enables clients to understand the benefit and applicability of the enhancements to their applications.
Speaker: Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
- IDZ-2054A Hands-on lab: The IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator Hands-On Learning LabThe IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator brings revolutionary query performance to IBM DB2 for z/OS for select queries with great cost and performance characteristics. It is a workload-optimized, appliance add-on that enables the integration of business insights into operational processes to drive winning strategies. DB2 Analytics Accelerator is deeply integrated with DB2 9 and DB2 10 to combine the best of both IBM System z and IBM Netezza technologies to deliver unparalleled, mixed workload performance to DB2 applications transparently. And, it opens unique opportunities for System z to meet new complex analytic business needs. This hands-on lab contains step-by-step instructions on using DB2 Analytics Accelerator to accelerate DB2 queries.
Speakers: Ruiping Li, IBM, Software Engineer; CJ Chang, IBM, Software Engineer; Carlos Javier Caballero Grolimund, IBM, Software Developer; Guogen Zhang, IBM, Distinguished Engineer; Jane Man, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer
- IDZ-2178A A Beginner's Guide to Stabilizing Access PathsQuery performance degradation caused by access path change is a top challenge for the DBA. IBM DB2 offers some useful features to help stabilize access paths. This presentation is a guide for DBAs to use access path stability features in the following common usage scenarios: (1) Use plan management to regenerate access paths while preserve the fallback ability. (2) Use APREUSE to regenerate runtime structure without access path change. (3) Use APCOMPARE to make risk assessment before actual REBIND. (4) Use EXPLAIN PACKAGE and EXPLAIN (ONLY) to generate comparison report. (5) Use statement-level hint and re-optimization. We’ll show the process of exploiting these features step by step and share best practices for typical problem diagnoses.
Speakers: KE WEI WEI, IBM, Advisory Software Engineer; Patrick Bossman, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Query Optimization
- IDZ-2358A zIIPs and zAAPs: Performance or Cost-Saving Opportunities?In this session, specialty engines are demystified: what are zIIPs and zAAPs and how can they help your IBM DB2 database and its applications?
Speaker: Cristian Molaro, MConsulting Bvba, Independent Consultant
- IDZ-2639A Understanding Real Storage and the Ability to Ride Through StormsIBM DB2 10 users have much less concern about virtual-storage constraints, but need to pay more attention to their real-storage usage, especially when running multiple DB2 instances on one LPAR. This presentation will explain how to assess real-storage usage, and help you better understand the new algorithms for real-storage allocations in DB2 10. Learn how to safely run multiple DB2 instances on the same LPAR. Avoid system paging and be able to gather diagnostics. Well also show some examples of how to diagnose real-life problems.
Speakers: Nigel G. Slinger, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Distinguished Engineer; Wen Jie Zhu, IBM, Senior Software Engineer
- IDZ-2819A Key Metrics for IBM DB2 for z/OS Subsystem and Application Performance MonitoringMonitoring tools and various IBM DB2 DISPLAY commands make available to you a dizzying array of informational items pertaining to the performance of an IBM DB2 for z/OS subsystem and of applications that access DB2. You can wade through all that information or focus on the handful of metrics that will enable you to efficiently and effectively assess the DB2 performance in your particular environment. Drawing on over 20 years of experience in analyzing and using the information in monitor reports and displays and DB2 command output, well describe in this session the fields that contain the highest-value information and how to use it.
Speaker: Robert Catterall, IBM, Consulting IT Specialist, Information Management
- IDZ-3285A CGE Group and Binaria Experience Implementing IBM DB2 for SAPHow does a company resolve core business problems with both the business and IT perspective at the forefront? Learn about CGE Group and Binarias experience implementing IBM DB2 for SAP; it can be seen as a value proposition.
Speakers: Paulo Cardenas, Binaria | CGE Group, CIO; Alcides Lizardo, Binaria, SAP Manager
- IDZ-3841A Improving Performance and Concurrency with Optimistic LockingData integrity is always a concern, and IBM DB2 locking, by itself, does not promise integrity. This session focuses on low-CPU-usage techniques for maintaining the integrity of your data, while at the same time reducing locking overhead to a minimum. Topics covered in this seminar include BIND parameters, like CURRENTDATA; new data types, like ROW UPDATE TIMESTAMPS; and new SQL, like static scroll cursors with BUILT-IN OPTIMISTIC LOCKING. A key benefit of this session is gaining the knowledge of new program-coding techniques to enable optimistic locking.
Speaker: Bonnie Baker, Bonnie Baker Corporation, Gold Consultant
- IDZ-3485A Hands-on lab: An In-Depth Exploration of Accounting and StatisticsAlmost everybody gathers IBM DB2 accounting and statistics information, but do you also use, understand and exploit all the information that is in those records? This lab will explain what information is tracked by DB2 and stored in its accounting and statistics records, and what the key fields mean. Using the actual traces we’ve collected or received, well work together how to analyze transaction response time, as seen by DB2, and explore how to exploit this great source of information to analyze and solve performance problems. The most recent instrumentation enhancements that come with IBM DB2 10 for z/OS will also be explained during this presentation.
Speaker: Ting Xu Guan, IBM, Worldwide DB2 for z/OS level 2 support; Akiko Hoshikawa, IBM, STSM
- IDZ-3922A BOF - New SQL Function and Performance in DB2 10 for z/OSExchange challenges, strategies and success stories during these informal discussions over lunch.
Speaker: Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
- IDZ-3923A BOF - Query Performance Challenges with DB2 10 for z/OSExchange challenges, strategies and success stories during these informal discussions over lunch.
Speaker: Terry Purcell, IBM, Senior Technical Staff Member
Gartner VP Donald Feinberg and Dan Wardman, IBM VP IM Development, lead a discussion on the future of data management and the System z platform.
Ask the System z Experts: System z software technical experts answer your questions.
Florida Hospital describes their migration from Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 for z/OS, and the resulting benefits.