IOD 2012 represents the largest System z software event in the world, delivering the know-how you need to optimize business performance, drive more value from existing business analytics deployments, and get the latest innovations and success strategies from IBM experts, analysts and customers.
Choose from more than 180 executive, business leadership and technical sessions, covering key business analytics technologies, including:
- DB2 sessions
- IMS (Information Management System) sessions
- BA/DW (Business analytics/data warehousing) sessions
- Tools/utilities sessions
And more – all offering a wealth of deployment best practices, technical tips and techniques, expert guidance, and success strategies to drive value to your business.
To browse all System z sessions, including abstracts and speakers, click on the tabs above.
Learn from your peers in 30+ sessions delivered by IBM clients across a wide range of industries. They’ll share their own experiences, including best practices, performance tips, cost saving strategies and experiences with the latest products and solutions.
Hands-on labs and workshops
Choose from 20 different sessions covering a wide range of topics. Each three-hour session lets you take a deep-dive, exploring and interacting directly with live software through well-proven, hands-on training exercises and workshops.
From lively panel discussions to informal Birds of a Feather get-togethers, don’t miss these special System z sessions, where you’ll gain insights from technical experts, analysts and fellow IBM clients.
Click on the triangle before each title to view descriptions and speakers
- IDZ-4152A System z Panel: Gartner Discusses the Future of the DatabaseJoin us to hear Gartner, the world's leading information technology research and advisory company, discuss the future of data management and the System z platform. Donald Feinberg, Gartner vice president and distinguished analyst will review the latest research and recommendations on database management systems, DB2 for z/OS, IMS, tools, data warehousing, business analytics, Big Data, application development and more. Dan Wardman, Vice President of Information Management Mainframe Software, will moderate this session. It promises to be informative, enlightening and interactive, so be sure to bring your questions for Gartner.
Speaker: Donald Feinberg, Gartner Research; Daniel Wardman, IBM, VP, IM Development
- IDZ-1837A Big Data on Big Iron: How We Migrated Our Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 10 for z/OSThis session will follow the journey of a faltering Oracle warehouse that was migrated to IBM DB2 for z/OS. It will explore the many reasons that DB2 for z/OS is not only capable, but excels at the big complex queries that today's warehouses demand. We'll examine the many technical differences between Oracle and DB2 10 for z/OS that make the warehouse on Big Iron shine. You’ll look at the IBM System z SuperServer in a new light after seeing the power and versatility of this database and hardware combination.
Speakers: Scott Morrell, Florida Hospital, Sr Software Architect; Robert Goodman, Florida Hospital, Sr DBA/DR Coordinator
- IDZ-3435A Ask the Experts: System z software Experts PanelThis session with discuss any aspect regarding System z. You will have access to the most technical experts at IBM from WebSphere, Rational, Information Management, and Tivoli.
Speakers: Penny J. Hill, IBM, Software Group Strategist; Jeff Josten, IBM, DB2 for z/OS Architect; Betty J. Patterson, IBM, Distinguished Engineer
Demo suites spotlight sessions
These spotlight sessions are an invitation-only opportunity for you to preview some of the latest technology developed for the DB2, Guardium & IMS Tools you use on a daily basis.
This more intimate setting will allow you to share with other IBM customers and learn directly from the experts who develop these tools, as well as help shape the direction of the products in which you’ve invested. Please join us for some light refreshments and lots of engaging conversation. All sessions are approximately 30 minutes in length; to attend, please contact your IBM sales representative.
- Innovation and Technology with DB2 Tools for z/OSMonday, Oct. 22 - 6pm, THEhotel 6th floor.
This session covers the latest improvements in the DB2 Utilities and Tools portfolio. The common collector architecture is employed by multiple IBM products, such as DB2 Query Monitor and InfoSphere Guardium STAP for DB2. We’ll explain the technology that can monitor your SQL applications’ performance and audit your DB2 subsystem at the same time you are minimizing the collection overhead.
We’ll also show you some innovation that lets you use your smart devices to monitor your DB2 SQL environments – letting you be in control while having the freedom of mobility. Experts scheduled to be in attendance include Haakon Roberts, Distinguished Engineer, IBM and Greg Grounds, Managing Director, R&D, Rocket Software.
- Information Governance with InfoSphere GuardiumTuesday, Oct. 23 - 6pm, THEhotel 6th floor
Information Governance continues to remain high CIO agendas as it focuses on reducing the costs and risks associated with managing information from a security, privacy, lifecycle management and quality perspective for better business outcomes.
Peter Mandel, Product Manager for the Information Governance product line, and a recognized Information Governance thought leader, will give an overview of the importance of Information Governance. Ernie Mancill (System z software Technical Sales) will cover many of the new enhancements across the InfoSphere Optim, Guardium and tools for System z that help organizations implement encryption, security, auditing and compliance across DB2 for z/OS, IMS, VSAM and other data sources.
- Challenges with the management of an IMS SysplexWednesday, Oct. 24 - 6pm, THEhotel 6th floor
Moving to an IMS Sysplex brings many advantages. Improved scalability, higher availability... It also brings management challenges such as new resource structures, Share Queues, Coupling Facilities, Long Locks and transaction affinities. Come and hear how IMS Sysplex Manager will let you address all your IMS Sysplex issues.
Experts in attendance include: Janet LeBlance. IMS Tools Strategist, IBM; Andy Nguyen, IMS Tools Development, IBM
“Rock the Mainframe” System z reception
Join fellow customers, IBM experts, executives and IBM Business Partners on Wednesday evening for a special reception hosted by Phil Weintraub (Vice President, zEnterprise Software Sales, North America) and Dan Wardman, (Vice President Information Management Mainframe Development). Bring your IOD conference badge along with your IOD 2012 System z pin for admission.
When: Wednesday, October 24, 7:30-9:30pm
Where: House of Blues
Gartner VP Donald Feinberg and Dan Wardman, IBM VP IM Development, lead a discussion on the future of data management and the System z platform.
Ask the System z Experts: System z software technical experts answer your questions.
Florida Hospital describes their migration from Oracle Warehouse to IBM DB2 for z/OS, and the resulting benefits.