Cyber Monday Results 2013
Cyber Monday wrapped up with 20.6 % growth in record online retail sales over 2012 and remains the biggest online shopping day of the year. Read the full report to get details on the latest trends from the holiday shopping season.
Cyber Monday online sales grew significantly, increasing by 20.6% over 2012 as Cyber Monday continues to be the biggest online shopping day of the year.
Highlights from Cyber Monday 2013:
- Online Sales Set New Record: Cyber Monday online sales grew by 20.6 percent over 2012. Average order value was $128.77, down 1 percent year-over-year.
- Top Five Cities for Cyber Sales: New York took the top spot for total online retail sales on Cyber Monday. Rounding out the top five were Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago and Atlanta.
- Mobile Shopping Soars: Mobile traffic grew to 31.7 percent of all online traffic, increasing by 45 percent over 2012. Mobile sales were also strong, exceeding 17 percent of total online sales, an increase of 55.4 percent year-over-year.
- Smartphones Browse, Tablets Buy: Smartphones drove 19.7 percent of all online traffic compared to tablets at 11.5 percent, making it the browsing device of choice. When it comes to making the sale, tablets drove 11.7 percent of all online sales, more than double that of smartphones, which accounted for 5.5 percent. On average, tablet users spent $126.30 per order compared to smartphone users who spent $106.49.
- iOS vs. Android: On average, iOS users spent $120.29 per order, compared to $106.70 per order for Android. iOS traffic reached 22.4 percent of all online traffic, compared to 9.1 percent for Android. iOS sales reached 14.5 percent of all online sales, compared to 2.6 percent for Android.
- The Social Influence – Facebook vs. Pinterest: On average, holiday shoppers referred from Facebook spent 6 percent more per order than shoppers referred from Pinterest. Facebook average order value was $97.81 versus Pinterest average order value which was $92.40. However, Facebook referrals converted sales at a rate 38 percent higher than Pinterest, perhaps indicating stronger confidence in network recommendations.
Cyber Monday Resources
Read all about what went on during the 2013 Cyber Monday shopping frenzy!
See a visual representation of trends, analytics and shopping patterns from the start of the 2013 holiday shopping season.
View performance benchmarks for your peers and competitors to help you uncover opportunities to grow your digital marketing and web properties.
Turn site visitors into repeat customers and loyal advocates with IBM Digital Marketing Optimization.