What is the IBM Rational Software Development Platform?
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform is an open, proven, complete and modular solution comprised of a comprehensive set of tools, proven best practices and professional services. This modular solution provides all the tools that individuals and teams need to successfully build, integrate, extend, modernize and deploy software and software-intensive systems.
By automating and integrating the business process of software development, the IBM Rational Software Development Platform helps organizations create software that differentiates their business performance.
To find out more about this integrated, modular solution and how it can improve your company's top-line growth go to: www.ibm.com/software/developmentplatform.
How does the IBM Rational Software Development Platform help organizations?
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform helps organizations:
- Deliver innovative products and services in new and faster ways, allowing organizations to better respond to competitive threats and create sustainable market advantage.
- Improve operational efficiency by automating and integrating software development and effectively managing software components. This reduces costs and enables software reuse, while delivering higher quality applications faster.
- Improve return on IT investments by maximizing the utilization and reuse of individual, team, and development resources.
- Improve productivity by reducing chaos and risk so development teams can focus on building high-quality, innovative technology, faster and more cost effectively.
- Build better software and software-dependent systems by providing proven best practices, automated tools and infrastructure for building, customizing, extending and deploying applications.
Who is the IBM Rational Software Development Platform designed for?
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform brings value to ALL members of IT and engineering teams, from executives and managers to members of the project teams who build, integrate, extend, modernize & deploy software and software-dependent systems using any of the following: Java/J2EE, C/C++, .Net (VB, VC++, C#), Cobol, PL1, and RPG; Windows, Linux, and Unix development systems; Windows, Linux, Unix, RTOS, zSeries, and iSeries deployment systems; and many other middleware technologies including but not limited to WSAS, DB2, Lotus, Tivoli, BEA, Oracle, and .Net.
Does the IBM Rational Software Development Platform provide solutions for all members of the development team?
Yes, The IBM Rational Software Development Platform includes products that meet the needs of all members of the development team.
What is the architecture of the IBM Rational Software Development Platform?
The market-leading capabilities of the IBM Rational Software Development Platform are integrated through a set of shared services providing common tool interoperation, management, and administration. IBM investments in this infrastructure are targeted at achieving greater openness for customization and extension by customers and partners, enhanced integration for synchronization of artifacts and assets, real-time feedback and monitoring of tasks and artifacts through improved management and visualization, and coordination of teams across the software lifecycle.
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform is based on a sophisticated technical infrastructure. The infrastructure consists of 4 key elements:
- Eclipse, offering the basic plug-in framework for tools and a set of common plug-ins for efficient tool creation;
- The Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF), providing a consistent approach for defining tool metadata and for manipulating instances of that metadata;
- The Open, MDD Platform, comprising a set of common meta-models defined in EMF;
- Standard modeling and interchange approaches, using standard description and interchange technologies based on the Unified Modeling Language (UML), profiles extending UML, and the XML Metadata Interchange(XML)
What are the benefits of building the IBM Rational Software Development Platform on the Eclipse universal framework?
By taking advantage of the Eclipse Modeling Foundation, the Hyades test foundation, and other Eclipse features, the IBM Rational Software Development Platform:
- Allows you the broadest integration of both IBM and best-of-breed third party tools throughout the lifecycle.
- Provides an open, modular framework for the entire development team.
- Improves productivity and team cohesion.
- Provides consistent, simplified, seamless user experience across products for each member of the development team.
What are the product capabilities of the IBM Rational Software Development Platform?
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform spans all capabilities of software development: Requirements & Analysis, Design & Construction, Software Quality, Software Configuration Management, Process & Project Management, and Deployment Management.
For more details on what products the IBM Rational Software Development Platform brings to each of these capabilities, please see: www.ibm.com/developerworks/platform.
Is the IBM Rational Software Development Platform made up of only IBM Rational products?
NO, The IBM Rational Software Development Platform includes products from all IBM Software Group brands (Rational, WebSphere, Tivoli, DB2 and Lotus). While Rational and WebSphere products make up most of the offerings, the strategic advantage of unifying all IBM Software Group development tools within a single platform vision helps your company obtain deeper levels of integration and improved efficiency across your development and operating environments.
Do I have to purchase the whole thing or can I purchase only what I need?
The IBM Rational Software Development Platform is open and modular. You can purchase and adopt it in parts and adapt it to your existing software development environments and processes.
What is the best way to test/evaluate the products within the IBM Rational Software Development Platform?
The easiest way to try out the products that interest you within The IBM Rational Software Development Platform is to register for a free download called PowerPack. It includes:
- Evaluation software on DVD/CD (IBM DB2, Lotus, Rational, Tivoli, and WebSphere software)
- Evaluation guides
- Code snippets and reference applications
- White papers and articles
- Technical presentations from industry-experts
- Web-based training
- Handy quick-reference posters
- And much more...
To find out more go to: www.ibm.com/developerworks/platform