Why BPM for Energy & Utilities?
Energy & utility companies today seek new ways to redefine the customer experience and transform their operating models and business processes to address regulatory, market and cost pressures. BPM from IBM can help electric, gas, and water utilities with initiatives including smart grid, smart meters, meter-to-cash, billing transformation, outage management, and fraud detection.
Benefits of BPM
- Enable collaboration across and beyond the enterprise. Automatic work routing and notifications across groups, partners, and customers reduces the time, errors and complexity of executing processes.
- Enable Straight-Through Processing. Business rules in processes can help automate the routing and processing of tasks — often reducing the amount of human intervention needed by over 80%.
- Gain real-time visibility and control over processes. Managers can view real-time process performance and proactively manage bottlenecks.
- Extend the value and life of core systems. Leverage existing applications by reading and posting transactions while introducing more efficient Web-based forms and interfaces.
- Ensure that the process that is documented — is the process that is executed. Process models that actually run the process provide consistency, adherence and audit trails to ensure compliance with regulations like Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Respond to change faster. Revise processes to respond to organization or regulatory changes — in days, if necessary.