IBM WebSphere® Presence Server is a high-performance server that collects, manages, and distributes real-time information regarding the availability, capability, and willingness of subscribers to communicate. It enables the extension of service provider applications and services to include collaboration information about how to best reach people.
- WebSphere Presence Server benefits
- Increase intelligence and capabilities of applications, thereby increasing the value to users and revenue opportunity for service providers.
- Improve efficiency and expedite time to market for new services by providing an independent presence platform that can span all applications and services.
- Enhance productivity offerings through the integration of presence information with applications such as address books and messaging.
- Simplify management and reduce the cost of aggregating presence information across disparate devices, applications, and network elements.
- Application and service independent
WebSphere Presence Server enables the integration of presence information from both client and external presence providers, such as external registrars, location servers, and call control systems. It supports standard Presence Information Data Format (PIDF) and the Rich Presence Information Data (RPID), as well as extended document format standards. WebSphere Presence Server also enables the extension of presence beyond the standards to include application, service provider, or use-case specific information.
- Presence source flexibility
WebSphere Presence Server enables the inclusion of presence information from a broad range of sources, including devices, network elements and applications, such as instant messaging and IPTV, as well as external presence providers such as enterprises.
- Legacy and next generation network support
WebSphere Presence Server supports service provider IMS networks through standards-based connections to IMS control plane elements, including IMS service control (ISC), Diameter interfaces, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), as well as support for adapters to legacy network elements.
- Standards compliant
WebSphere Presence Server is developed to work with third party and service provider-developed applications. It is compliant with IETF, OMA, ETSI, 3GPP and RCS standards, which promotes the platform for widespread integration among multi-vendor applications, devices, and network infrastructure. This compliance has been tested through interoperability events as well as direct interoperability testing with Network Equipment Providers, application vendors, and service providers.
- Extensive experience with "presence intelligence" - WebSphere Presence Server benefits from the extensive experience IBM has with presence functionality, including the following:
- IBM Lotus® Sametime® instant messaging
- SIP-based collaboration gateway that enables presence sharing between service providers, enterprises and other environments.
- Joint research initiatives between IBM Research and leading service providers internationally.
- Interoperability with XML Document Management Servers
WebSphere Presence Server supports interoperability with XML Document Management Servers for information such as group lists and presence authorization rules documents. WebSphere Presence Server supports standards-based XML Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) and SIP to provide for the management, retrieval, and subscription to these XML documents. Since it is standards compliant, WebSphere Presence Server can interoperate with either the WebSphere XDMS or the XDMS of another vendor.
- IBM next-generation services platform for Communication Service Providers
WebSphere Presence Server is part of the IBM next-generation services platform for CSPs, which provides a flexible, IP-based service execution environment. Based upon the principles of a Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), WebSphere IMS Connector, WebSphere Presence Server, WebSphere Telecom Web Services Server, and WebSphere XDMS deliver a new set of IP-based modular service enablers to help accelerate the delivery of next generation communications services. Based upon the high-performance WebSphere Application Server platform, which provides a fully converged SIP-HTTP execution platform, these modular service enablers help minimize the cost and time to deliver rich composite services to market