CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.2. Continuing the Journey. Learn More. Now available.
CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.2 continues to extend the value of CICS providing a balanced version of capability.
CICS TS V4.2 is designed to be a balanced release, with new and enhanced capability that will be of interest to both leading edge customers and those customers who are more conservative with new technology adoption.
- It is designed to execute mixed language application workloads, supporting both modern and traditional programming languages and models. Its extensive data communication services, and its foundations in service-oriented architecture (SOA), provide unparalleled connectivity and scalability. As a result, CICS TS fits naturally into a smart infrastructure that is needed for a flexible, global enterprise.
- CICS TS V4.2 builds upon the new and enhanced capabilities developed and delivered in Version 4.1, to enable customers to compete in the marketplace, comply with standards and regulations, and control their IT processes. CICS TS V4.2 delivers technical innovation and significant business value in five main focus areas, satisfying in excess of fifty customer and user group enhancement requests. The result is a powerful new release with a huge amount of value for all stakeholders - delivering a smarter transaction processing experience for CICS users and their customers in turn.
- Events: Building on event technology introduced in CICS TS V4.1, system events can now be automatically produced, providing immediate insight into the health of your system.
- Java: A new 64-bit Java runtime environment, coupled with enhancements to the multithread Java Virtual Machine (JVM) server infrastructure allows CICS to run more, and larger, Java applications in a single region - delivering better scalability for Java workloads in CICS.
- Connectivity: CICS TS V4.2 extends its investment in System z IP networking, and supports the function shipping of file control, transient data, and temporary storage requests between CICS regions. The potential benefits of this include improved performance as well as the ability to simplify network administration.
- Management: Simplifying the management of CICS configuration, administration and performance remains a focus, with improvements made to existing features, as well as some exciting new additions.
- Scalability: The scalability of the CICS environment is enhanced with major extensions to multiprocessor exploitation, including Threadsafe access and function shipping requests between CICS systems.
- This release also delivers a series of architectural enhancements to enable CICS system and application programs to use and exploit System z 64-bit architecture, where customers could benefit, for example, from 64-bit Java, trace, and temporary storage.
View features and benefits
Product line overview
CICS Tools Family
The IBM CICS Tools family helps to increase business flexibility and development efficiency.