Two methods of installation are available for z/OS Explorer:
IBM Installation Manager
Scenario 1 - Install z/OS Explorer and Installation Manager
You do not have IM installed and want to use z/OS Explorer for the first time.
- Ensure that your system requirements meet the minimum requirements for z/OS Explorer
- Unzip then run the launchpad executable file to install z/OS Explorer and Installation Manager
- During installation select 'Check for Other Versions, Fixes, and Extensions' then z/OS Explorer
- If, after initial installation, you want to add further plug-ins, follow the instructions in Scenario 2
Scenario 2 - Install z/OS Explorer
You already have IM installed and want to use z/OS Explorer for the first time.
- Open Installation Manager and add URL http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/zos/tools/1 to Preferences > Repositories
- Select Install from the Installation Manager main screen
- Choose z/OS Explorer and any of the compatible plug-ins in the repository
- If you are using IBM Installation Manager to manage the download, you are asked to enter a password before you can access the download page. The download page contains other IBM products that are compatible with this release of IBM Explorer for z/OS, but you must have the correct authentication to download them:
- To download IBM Data Studio, or Rational Developer for System z, you must have an IBM ID. If you do not have an IBM ID you can register for one at https://www.ibm.com/account/profile/us?page=reg
- To download Rational Team Concert, you must have a jazz.net ID. If you do not have a jazz.net ID you can register for one at https://jazz.net/action/register
- If you do not want to download the authenticated products, then click Cancel in the Password Required windows.
- For more details about the Rational Developer for System z trial, including how to download the z/OS server code, visit http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/r/rdz/
Eclipse p2 Update
This scenario uses the Eclipse p2 software update method and does not require IBM Installation Manager.
Scenario 3 - Extend an existing Eclipse IDE
You are using an Eclipse IDE that does not support IM and want to use z/OS Explorer for the first time.
- Update your Eclipse IDE to release 4.2.2
- In your Eclipse IDE add URL http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/zos/tools/1 to Window > Preferences > Install/Update > Available Software Sites
- Install z/OS Explorer and any of the compatible plug-ins in the repository using Help > Install New Software