The GVT wizard and GVT services
Software development teams have always had the responsibility to test and ensure that their product functions properly. However, ensuring that it also functions properly in a global environment may be new territory. This global component adds a layer of complexity to already complex testing. The challenge now is not only to complete global verification testing but to do it in a consistent, repeatable and efficient manner.
And GVT is a critical test activity, independent from Translation Verification Test (TVT). Performing GVT testing prior to doing translation increases the likelihood of having successful, on time TVTs with minimal globalization problems. GVT reduces the cost and problem of fixing costly errors after your software has been deployed. And using a tool such as the GVT Wizard reduces overall testing costs associated with GVT.
The GVT wizard and guide
To assist our clients in achieving their globalization testing goals and optimizing their test resources, IBM is introducing our Globalization Verification Test (GVT) Wizard. This user-friendly interactive tool assists in assuring that just the right testing is done for each software component. Used in conjunction with IBM's GVT consulting services, the GVT Wizard can reduce your test time and costs and help you assure a quality deliverable in every market you serve around the globe.
There are three separate components that make up the GVT Wizard offering:
- Globalization Verification Test (GVT) Wizard: The GVT Wizard provides a Question and Answer (Q&A) methodology which enables the user (such as a software test manager, test leader, tester or developer) to identify the minimal set of globalization test areas that are applicable. The contents of the wizard output report can be used as part of a GVT plan. Each test area has an associated link to the GVT Guide providing practical guidance, test data (where appropriate) and detailed instructions on how to test specific globalization functions.
- Globalization Verification Test (GVT) Guide: The GVT Guide provides "how-to" information that directly ties to the test areas identified by the GVT Wizard. It provides practical guidance, test data sets (where appropriate) and detailed instructions on how to test specific globalization functions. This document should be used by a test manager, test leader or a tester as a reference guide when defining/creating GVT test cases.
- Globalization Wizard Framework: The Globalization Wizard Framework allows users to generate reports based on provided question content and data flow, using an interactive question and answer format.
GVT wizard reports
Based on the user responses to the Wizard, a report is generated containing:
- The Identified Test Areas: the globalization areas that should be tested.
- The Areas That Will Not Be Tested: the globalization areas that were not selected for testing (not to be tested).
- The Answer Summary: a list of all questions and how they were answered.
If your software is comprised of several sub-components that are tested independently, you can create a separate GVT Wizard report file for each sub-component as well.
The GVT Wizard report then contains links to specific GVT Guide documentation that can help you create the optimal test cases for the areas to be tested.
Deliverables: The complete GVT Wizard offering is available as a Single License Asset or as an Enterprise License Asset for 15 or more users. You will receive the Wizard, the Guide, the Framework, and a Guide for Installation.
Globalization testing services
- Process Design and Assistance - IBM consultants will evaluate your environment, your goals and your capabilities to assist you in creating the most effective GVT process and environment for your needs (80-160 hours)
- GVT test training - We offer training to testers to assist them in learning how to test for Globalization (8-80 hours)
- GVT Wizard Training - IBM offers training on optimizing use of the GVT Wizard tool and how to read and analyze the report output (8-24 hours)
- Installation and Configuration -IBM consultants will ensure that the GVT Wizard is correctly installed and configured for your environment and provide basic training to your teams on optimizing the value of the Wizard (8-32 hours)
- Test Script Creation - Experts in GVT will analyze the output of the GVT Wizard and assist you in creating test scripts based on that output (40-120 hours)
- Customized Wizard Creation - IBM consultants will customize the GVT Wizard for your business or industry to more selectively evaluate your GVT test needs (dependent on customization requested, ask for a quote)
For additional information or a quote for a services engagement, please use the Email IBM in the top right of this page.