Application and data conversion
Delivering products and services all over the world creates the challenge of extending your IT services to customers and employees in their preferred form and language:
- How do you do that while fully leveraging your investments in your current applications and data?
- How do you implement the necessary changes with minimal disruption to your operations?
IBM has the broad architectural knowledge, deep technical skills and best practices to assist your team to architect, design and implement globalized applications. Whether the need be in Unicode or other traditional encodings, videographics or complex scripts, left-to-right or bi-directional languages; whether it is with back-office applications or web front-ends, IBM consultants have the skill to assist you and more than 20 years of experience.
Broad architectural knowledge, deep technical skills
Converting an existing application to meet your globalization requirements takes many levels of efforts and IBM will work with your team through the process from beginning to the end:
Create an architecture and system design
- We work with your architects and analysts to create an architecture and a system design for your existing applications. Using proven design principles we design the architecture based on your current operating environments, hardware/software platforms, and business requirements. Identifying the modules and data that can remain unchanged, or that need to be enhanced, and ensuring that everything continues to work together.
- We can build upon the results of Architecture and Code Review Services or create a new solution.
Design solution based on open standards
- Leveraging our expertise and custom tools, we will assist your architects and developers in creating a comprehensive solution that will be based on open standards and that will work globally.
Create a sound implementation plan
- We work with your IT managers and architects to create an implementation plan within the parameters of your company's business plan and operating environments. We will help establish coding standards, data exchange standards, best practices, and common libraries for the development of global applications. We can also provide education on basic globalization principles and the use of standards and common libraries.
Assist in implementation
- We work side-by-side with your architects, designers, developers, and testers to modify current applications and to implement the global architecture and in the process transferring knowledge and expertise to your IT staff.
Results-oriented services tailored to your business needs
The Application and Data Conversion services is a comprehensive offering that includes:
- Capturing technical details of the system architecture and application design.
- Detailing areas where modifications and/or additions will be required.
- Creating a detail implementation plan.
- Documenting a set of standards and best practices that are relevant to your environment.
- Acquiring or developing a set of common libraries that can be used by all developers.
- Providing relevant technical training on basic globalization principles, standards, & common libraries to your IT staff.
- Creating, in conjunction with your team, necessary modifications and additional components for your application.
- Delivering overall project management for the implementation, as required.
- Developing a test plan for thorough testing of new features.
Deliverables: The following items will be delivered as part of this service:
- A detail system architecture and design
- A project plan for implementing the architecture and design
- Coding standards, data exchange standards, and best practices
- Technical education
- Test plan for the global applications
- Architecture and system design portion is approximately 18-24 weeks (720-960 hours).
- Creation of the project plan, standards, best practices, and test plan is about 10-12 weeks (400-480 hours).
- Code enhancements and development depends on the size of the project and the number of IBM experts and developers involved.
For additional information or a quote for a services engagement, please use the Email IBM in the top right of this page.