This checklist of guidelines will help programmers design software solutions that will work in all countries, languages, and cultures. When coupled with multicultural support and translated user interface elements, your business applications can be used in any region of the world.
The guidelines are meant to be applied early in the product design stage to be most effective. They all originate from real issues that were eventually solved. They generate savings in time and money at every stage of the product life cycle.
- Guidelines quick reference
- Guideline A: User interface
- Guideline B: Writing for an international audience
- Guideline C: Respect for culture & conventions
- Guideline D: Product structure in a globalized environment
- Guideline E: Input and output interfaces
- Guideline F: Coded character sets
- Guideline G: Introducing Asian ideographic scripts
- Guideline H: Languages with a bi-directional script
- Guideline I: The cursive Arabic script