C13: Telephone format
Allowing the customization of telephone numbers
Telephone numbers in different countries have different numbers of digits and different groupings of digits.
Don't assume that international users will know the international country code for their country. Note that in some countries, telephone numbers can contain nonnumeric characters such as "1-800-IBM-4YOU". In other countries, the plus sign (+) is an integral part of the telephone number such as "+81-3-1234-5678".
Need assistance with your globalization questions?
- Guidelines quick reference
- A: User interface
- B: Writing for an international audience
- C: Respect for culture and conventions
- D: Product structure in a globalized environment
- E: Input and output interfaces
- F: Coded character sets
- G: Introducing Asian ideographic scripts
- H: Languages with a bidirectional script
- I: The cursive Arabic script