Join jStart: Internship Opportunities
The jStart Emerging Technologies team is always looking for interns to join our team--learn more about emerging technologies IBM is working on, with IBM's emerging technologies team.
Why intern with the IBM jStart Emerging Technologies team?
IBM invests $5.5B every year in research and development. The challenge for the company is to discover ways to turn that raw research into products and technologies that solve real problems, and that have actual, practical value. Which is where jStart plays its pivotal role: we are IBM Emerging Technologies client engagement team. Our technologies are proven in the field, with real customers, solving real challenges--and we're paid to do it. We're not talking about theoretical solutions: we're talking about building real, innovative, and valuable solutions all leveraging the latest in emerging technologies. In short, we get to play with the cool stuff--with the resources of one of the world's largest IT companies backing us. Jobs on our team require that you have good programming development skills in a variety of languages. You will get the opportunity to work on technologies that usually aren’t taught in college. The technical skills you learn will allow you to differentiate yourself from most other college students.
We operate as a startup...
with incredible resources
The team is small--and purposefully so. In fact, jStart is run like a startup--we make decisions which can significantly impact the way we approach technology every day. Because many of our projects have short duration, interns get to participate and contribute throughout the iterative software development cycle: idea, concept, design, development, test, deployment, customer feedback. The best part? As an intern, you can actually have a huge impact, because we believe in giving our interns a lot of room to come up with their own ideas. Of course, the downside is that we hold you accountable for those decisions, too. It's a lot of freedom, but a lot of responsibility.
top reasons for interning with jStart
Some of the top reasons why our interns stated that they chose to become a jStart intern...
- Working on emerging technologies, techs never worked on before and are not exposed to in college
- It's IBM: experience working in a big company with a global reputation
- The area (Research Triangle Park) is close to other universities (Duke, NC State, and UNC Chapel Hill), cost of living is low, a lot of other interns at IBM
- Highly competitive pay when compared to other premier internship programs.
Get experience knowing what it's like to work for IBM
Even if you decide that you want to exercise your entrepreneurial legs after your internship, you'll have gained invaluable insights as to how one of the most successful corporate enterprise IT companies operates. IBM is ranked #20 in Fortune's 500 and thus can provide many opportunities for interns. It's huge. But it also has huge opportunities. And as part of Emerging Technologies, we get to sit on the leading edge of the technology horizon. It's a unique opportunity...and jStart believes in giving you a chance to go as far as you want to go during your internship. After graduation, many of our former jStart interns have received full-time job offers from IBM and have embarked on successful careers.
what we're looking for
- Skills: This list changes quite often, you'll be working
with some of these technologies. Working with management, we'll figure
out what technologies are best fits for you and the teams needs. We'd
then decide which technologies you'd concentrate on. If you have
expertise with any of the following--and you're interested in learning
more, we're interested:
- AJAX (including JSON, Dojo)
- Cloud platforms (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, OpenStack, Cloud Foundry)
- REST APIs
- Graph databases
- NoSQL (MongoDB)
- HTML5 (CSS3/4, Web sockets)
- Data visualizations
- Mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Social data APIs (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Apache Hadoop® and other Open Source Technologies
- Natural language processing (unstructured text analysis)
- Source Control (GIT, RTC)
- Willing to make a two-term commitment: We look for candidates who can commit two school terms (Spring+Summer) or (Summer+Fall) because we've found that amount of time really allows our interns to explore emerging tech, as well as have a significant impact instead of just a short 2 or 3 month internship.
- Are self-motivated, curious: We find that the best interns are those who are self-motivated, and have an innate curiosity. Sure, at the end of the day implementation is critical, but having the curiosity to ask "what if" questions is always encouraged.
Quality of Life in RTP
For our interns, Research Triangle Park has been a key reason why they chose be an intern with jStart: the area has a low cost of living, has three major universities in close proximity, as well as two major cities (Raleigh and Durham). In addition, IBM has an active and large co-op and intern community (with many social and networking opportunities, events that are specifically geared for interns, and opportunities to interact with the extended tech community in RTP, beyond IBM).
Resources and Links
Learn about their experiences
Previous intern projects
Internship job requirements
- Need to be registered full time at college or university for computer related major such as Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Need to be able to work two consectutive terms (Spring + Summer or Summer + Fall) in our Research Triangle Park, NC lab. (We provide a lump sum payment to help cover relocation costs.)
- Must be able to work legally in the US (US citizen, work visa, etc.)
So what are you waiting for?
If you satisfy the job requirements and you want to be a part of one of IBM's elite teams, you can apply online.