jStart explores IBM Bluemix™, the next generation cloud platform based on IBM's Open Cloud Architecture and Cloud Foundry. Get started today!
What is IBM Bluemix?
Bluemix is an implementation of IBM’s Open Cloud Architecture, leveraging Cloud Foundry to enable developers to rapidly build, deploy, and manage their cloud applications, while tapping a growing ecosystem of available services and runtime frameworks. IBM will provide services and runtimes into the ecosystem based on our extensive software portfolio.
In practical terms, this means that cloud applications built on Bluemix will:
- Reduce time for application/infrastructure provisioning
- Allow for flexible capacity
- Help to address any lack of internal tech resources
- Reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Accelerate exploration of new workloads – social, mobile, big data
Enabling the transition
Part of any open cloud environment deployment includes cloud workloads and capabilities that are available within the cloud. IBM has been working to enable key functionality in the cloud based on early customer engagements as well as input from developers.
Bluemix: Making a difference in the cloud
When IBM envisioned Bluemix, we envisioned a system which would answer the needs and challenges facing developers while at the same time empowering and enabling businesses to leverage their resources in the most efficient way possible. And we wanted to create a system that could do this in concrete ways.
a call to action
- Bluemix Briefing: Provides you and your team with an in-depth understanding of IBM’s new initiative. Contact Us
- Bluemix Scenario Definition Workshop: jStart architects and developers work with your team to identify a candidate application for developing/deploying as a proof of concept with Bluemix. Contact Us
- Bluemix Engagement: Over an ~8-10 week period, collaborate with jStart to develop a proof of concept on 'still-in-the-oven' assets & technology. Contact Us
For developers, this meant that we wanted a system that would significantly reduce the time needed to create the application, to provision it, allow for flexible capacity in terms of storage, but also bandwidth and processing power, and which would handle the back-end infrastructure needs without requiring the developer to spend their valuable time doing so--in other words, allow developers to concentrate on doing what they do best--being creative and developing top quality applications.
|Want to learn more about Bluemix? Attend one of our 200 Bluemix Days around the world to start building apps on the cloud today.|
For businesses, we wanted to create a system which allows line-of-business users to easily create applications without needing a high level of technical know-how, reduce the total cost of ownership by introducing cost savings inherent in the cloud, and enable businesses to rapidly adjust to their customer and client needs by leveraging the flexibility cloud applications provide--instant updates, new features deployed automatically (high responsiveness from the end-user's perspective).
By doing all of this, the goal is to provide a platform that allows everyone--the developers, the businesses, the end-users--to accelerate their exploration of cloud app capabilities, whether it be to solve social, mobile, or big data needs and challenges--or combinations of the three, to build the next generation of cloud applications and services.