Energy and Utilities
Traditional business models for the utilities industry are losing relevance. The energy production and delivery industry is placing many more smart sensors, and meters, along production, transmission and distribution systems to get granular real-time data about the current state of faults and load. Powerful analytics on this data, when combined with other sources such as Outage and Distribution Management Systems (OMS/DMS), weather data, 3rd-party event monitoring systems and Meter Data Management Systems (MDMS) can help utilities take necessary actions to avoid electric grid failures, to improve security and to optimize capacity and redundancy. IBM Stream Computing enables this predictive analytics allowing energy and utility providers to capture and analyze data - all the time, just in time.
- Outage detection and prediction: Monitor grid/plant elements and networks and rapidly predict and analyze data to detect grid/plant outages.
- Load shedding: Monitor and run powerful real-time analytics on data from smart meters and sensors.
- Condition based maintenance: Operationalize Condition Based Maintenance (CBM) and identify assets that are likely to fail in the near term or require maintenance or operational changes. Take action preemptively to control or repair equipment.
- Smarter Analytics: Run extremely powerful analytics that take both structured real-time data from smart meters as well as unstructured data like satellite imagery feeds, weather forecasts and PMUs, for a variety of uses such as price fluctuation forecasting, energy trading insights and more.
Results: optimize energy usage and reduce outages.
- Pacific Northwest smart grid project services 60,000 homes across 5 states. It enables towns to avoid power outages using a two-way advanced meter system. Also empowers consumers to make educated choices about how and when to use electricity. The solution provides increased grid efficiency and reliability through system self-monitoring and feedback.
- Battelle (PDF, 573KB) reduces energy costs and enhances power grid reliability and performance
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. (PDF, 683KB) uses predictive insights to save $300,000 USD/year
- CenterPoint Energy (YouTube, 00:04:45) powers 2.3M Smart Meters with IBM InfoSphere Streams