IBM® Informix® TimeSeries software is a built-in feature of Informix that greatly expands database functionality by adding sophisticated support for managing time series (time-stamped) data. A "time series" is any set of data that is accessed in sequence by time and can be processed and analyzed in chronological order, such as data generated by smart meters, RFID tags and other sensors.
It didn't matter how much data we pushed into the Informix TimeSeries module, the performance was always the same. I have never seen anything else where no matter how complex the queries are, data is available instantly.
Throstur Jonsson, co-CEO, Rational Network
Informix TimeSeries software consolidates and organizes time-stamped data much more efficiently than traditional, relational databases and provides the following benefits:
- Exponentially faster performance: More efficient storage of data means that Informix TimeSeries performance is an order of magnitude greater than that of traditional, relational databases. Additionally, a real-time loader is included that dramatically reduces data load times to make data available to queries in real-time.
- Storage savings: The inherent ability to store time series data with great efficiency means Informix TimeSeries requires significantly less storage space than traditional relational databases. Informix TimeSeries often uses one third the storage space that is required by a standard relational database.
- Consistent scalability: Informix TimeSeries enables consistent, scalable performance that helps yield highly predictable costs. Benchmarks have illustrated that Informix TimeSeries keeps storage requirements linear over time.
- High availability: Informix offers 99.999% data availability with automatic failover in the case of server or even network failure, which is increasingly critical as sensor data relies on frequent, two-way network communications. Informix can also replicate TimeSeries data throughout a distributed, clustered environment.
- Easy and cost effective: The TimeSeries capability of Informix is “built-in” to the server; no additional installations or licenses are required.