Big data environments help organizations process, analyze and derive maximum value from new data formats, as well as traditional structured formats, in real time. Big data spans four dimensions: volume, velocity, variety and veracity.
- Volume: Every day 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are generated
- Velocity: 2 minutes is too late especially when it comes to detecting a hacker!
- Variety: Big data is any type of data—structured and unstructured—such as text, sensor data, audio, video, clickstreams, log files and more.
- Veracity: 1 in 3 business leaders don’t trust the information they use to make decisions. Establishing trust as the variety and number of sources grows.
As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks and threats to the repositories containing this data.
- Schema-less distributed environments, where data from multiple sources can be joined and aggregated in arbitrary ways, make it challenging to establish access controls
- The nature of big data - high volume, variety and velocity – makes it difficult to ensure data integrity
- Aggregation of data from across the enterprise means sensitive data is in a repository
- Big data repositories present another data source to secure and most existing data security and compliance approaches will not scale
InfoSphere Guardium delivers security to data environments by helping organizations:
- Monitor big data activity from applications and users (both internal and external) in real time and take action on policy violations
- Audit big data activity and report on activities; to fulfill compliance requirements and support forensic investigations.
- Enforce change controls across the high volume, velocity and variety of big data
- Encrypt and mask data to make it unusable
- Deploy a centralized, scalable platform and integrate with other security management solutions like QRadar (link resides outside of ibm.com).