MIMIC SNMP Simulator
IBM PureFlex System
|Provided by: Gambit Communications, Inc|
Offers an inexpensive way to create a real world lab environment. Provides an interactive hands-on lab for evaluation, training, deployment and QA of management applications. Creates a virtual environment of 50,000 devices. Now enabled on IBM PureFlex for rapid deployment and integrated expertise.
MIMIC simulated devices respond to SNMPv1, SNMPv2C, SNMPv3, and Netflow protocols. MIMIC ships with a large number of pre-compiled MIBs, networks and devices from the leading networking companies. A suite of predefined scenarios is provided to investigate all the possibilities you can face in your mission-critical environment.
For example, realistic behaviour can be modelled for a range of traffic conditions over a shorter period of time. Or, a constant simulation can be used for automated regression testing.
The MIMIC Recorder can be used to record any existing network and simulate it.
The most common uses of this versatile suite are:
- Evaluation: Enterprises can evaluate the new version of IBM Tivoli with anticipated failure and growth scenarios or qualify purchases before deployment.
- Training Environments: Enterprises can train new staff on Tivoli without disturbing the production network.
- Development and Testing: Configuration and additional development on Tivoli can be done quickly and test reliably by network engineers.
- Trade Shows: Marketing can setup powerful "live" demonstrations at trade shows.
- Sales Demos: Sales can tailor presentations to the individual customer's environment.
Business CaseImmediate Cost Savings: * No need to buy extra laboratory equipment (hardware, agents, software). The cost factor of lab equipment is reduced by a factor of up to 1,000. * Leverage existing laboratory equipment by running MIMIC alongside the real device. Instead of buying ten of the same devices, buy one real device and simulate the remaining nine. * Reduced support costs for test equipment. Rather than supporting different types of devices, it is only necessary to support MIMIC on industry-standard hardware (Intel-based PCs or Sun Sparc). * Time savings dramatically impact labor costs, especially early in the development cycle. MIMIC can be employed in the prototyping and design stages. It only took us minutes to setup the simulations used to demo the Applications on this site. * Allows instantaneous hypothetical growth scenarios with minimal additional expense. Time can be fast-forwarded in MIMIC with a few mouse-clicks and keystrokes. Agents can easily be cloned. This helps in realistic future resource planning * Reduced Setups and Maintenance: * No need for multiple network connections, power supplies, etc. Physical lab space and infrastructure requirements are reduced 100-fold. * No need to set up WAN links. MIMIC simulates network delay and runs with most network interface cards. It even runs over PPP on a serial line. * Complete Evaluation & Testing: * Test management applications with a wide variety of agents instead of just one. * Test multiple versions of each device simultaneously. * Configure pathological conditions easily in order to investigate even the trickiest configurations. * Reliable Test Environment
Business ProblemIt provides the cost savings a factor of up to 1,000.
* Evaluation: Enterprises can evaluate the suitability of applications with anticipated failure and growth scenarios or qualify purchases before deployment.* Training Environments: Realistic training scenarios can explore all possible cases. Training environment can be portable rather than based on the classroom.* Disaster preparedness: Practice all disaster scenarios and be prepared for it.* Development and Testing: Management application developers can implement their products quickly and test reliably. * Trade Shows: Marketing can setup powerful "live" demonstrations at trade shows.* Sales Demos: Sales can tailor presentations to the individual customer's environment.
Name: Pankaj Shah