File Manager - IMS component
The IMS component of File Manager (FM/IMS) is an ISPF application, in which you can manipulate data stored in IMS databases. Using FM/IMS, you can:
- Display data from one or more IMS segment occurrences, and see their relationship to other segment types within the database.
- Edit and update data in IMS segment occurrences.
- Insert segment occurrences into a IMS database.
- Delete segment occurrences from an IMS database.
- Extract a subset of IMS data to a flat file.
- Load data into IMS databases.
- Print selected data or entire databases.
For many tasks, you can use the FM/IMS elements called templates and views to define a logical view of a database, based upon field definitions from COBOL or PL/I copybooks. When you associate a view with a database you can:
- Format data according to segment layouts defined in COBOL or PL/1 copybooks.
- Select the segment types and fields that you want to display, edit or extract.
- Change the order in which fields are displayed and adjust field headings.
- Create criteria to identify and select the data that you want to use.
FM/IMS provides you with a number of flexible ways to connect to your IMS databases. For example, with BMP mode you can connect to an online multi-user database and manipulate the data. In DLI mode, you can work with data offline as a single user or you can share the data with others.
In addition, FM/IMS provides two functions that you can use in batch jobs. FM/IMS Edit Batch (IEB) runs a REXX procedure that can insert, update, retrieve, delete or print segments and create views. FM/IMS Batch Print (IPR) can print the entire database in one of several available display formats, or a selected subset of the database, based on a view.
The File Manager for IMS component of V8.1 has the following enhancements:
- File Manager IMS is enhanced to support IMS V10.
- File Manager IMS is enhanced to allow customization of a group of IMS settings for use in File Manager DL/I mode operations. This is similar to the capability that already exists for File Manager IMS settings that you can custom for batch message processing (BMP) mode access. A group of File Manager IMS DL/I options settings, once established, can be used by simply referring to an IMS "subsystem ID" name, instead of filling out many options panels. These File Manager DL/I mode options can also be customized as over-rideable by the user, or not.
Back to Features and Benefits