DW/370 for MVS/CICS Version 2 supports the following environments:
- Program Number: 5694-A01 z/OS V1.4, or later
As of May 3, 2004, support for VM is no longer available.
The following list shows how DisplayWrite/370 eases your work, it:
- Simplifies handling images and graphics. You can:
- Create documents containing scanned images, business charts, and graphs.
- Select the position of the image or graphic on the page.
- Use a scanned image that fills the page, or place a graphic alongside the accompanying text.
- Scale a picture to the exact size you want, crop it to remove a part you don't need, rotate it, or invert it.
- Supports IBM's Advanced Function Printing™ (AFP™) concept: each user can print compound documents on a variety of page printers that can be attached to your system directly or via a network.
- Allows for fast text entry in "power typing" mode. You can type continuous screens of text without needing to press the Insert key.
- Shortens print cycles. You can use the preview facility to view a document on the screen before you send it to the printer, even on character-mode display terminals.
- Supports personal printers and allows you to use SAA® core fonts in your documents, if Version 2 Release 2 is installed. You can add your own fonts or edit those supplied with DisplayWrite/370. Using IBM PSF/2, you can print documents containing these fonts on personal printers, such as those of the Hewlett-Packard Laserjet series or the IBM 40x9 LaserPrinter series, operating in a local area network (LAN).
- Provides a spelling check for various languages. You can use different spelling dictionaries at the same time or create your own custom user dictionary. Words not found in any of the dictionaries are highlighted. If you then ask for help for a highlighted word, DisplayWrite/370 displays a list of alternatives.
- Automatically formats text, and uses hyphenation dictionaries to determine where to break words that do not fit at the end of a line.
- Checks grammar and displays a list of grammatical forms for a word for you to select.
- Displays a list of synonyms for a selected word for you to replace the word with one from the synonym list.
- Controls the reading level in U.S. English. You can check the reading level of your text. When you specify the intended grade level of your audience, DisplayWrite/370 highlights all words in the document above that level. You can ask for synonyms for these words and substitute words at or below the desired reading level.
- Provides a new application programming interface (API) with DisplayWrite/370 Version 2 Release 2. This API supports the Open Document Interface (ODI) and lets you develop your own document conversion utilities or use document conversion utilities supplied by third parties.
- Allows revisable form text documents to be exchanged with virtually any document format or word processor, including Lotus AmiPro and WordPerfect, if it is used together with document conversion facilities.
- Supports the CLIST programming language. CLISTs let you perform complex programming tasks in DisplayWrite/370. You can, for example, create applications that display dialog boxes and pop-up windows. CLISTs can be used to merge data into documents and to create documents automatically.
- Eases administration tasks:
- You can split CLISTs into structured elements. Each element can then be maintained separately, allowing service updates to be included without affecting other elements of the CLIST.
- You can maintain private GDDM® libraries under MVS/CICS, greatly simplifying the administration of images and graphics.
- You can use variables in printer definitions to simplify the maintenance of printers.