Administration Client for Application Support Facility
IBM Administration Client for Application Support Facility (5655-U83) provides a graphical interface and additional functions for administrators of IBM Application Support Facility for z/OS. Based on Eclipse technology, the administration client can increase administrator productivity and reduce the time required to implement changes to document resources. The Eclipse-based graphical interface can replace the 3270 interface for administering the Application Support Facility General Information Library (GIL) and User Profile Library (UPL). Administration of Application Support Facility can now be done by staff trained in workstation tools, eliminating the need for training in 3270 command and panel-driven interfaces.
Using this new interface, your administrators can more easily manage the Application Support Facility environment. Both the document structures and the document elements can be displayed and manipulated in various panes of one window. Benefits include expanding and contracting tree structures, dragging and dropping elements into documents, and editing text using a rich text editor. Together, these new features greatly improve the user experience when compared to the traditional 3270 interface that requires navigating from one separate menu to another, viewing only one item at a time.
Through the Eclipse-based graphical interface, Administration Client for Application Support Facility provides additional function over the traditional 3270 administration interface provided with Application Support Facility. Your administrators can:
- Separate the administration environment into a database for test and maintenance, plus a mirrored production database
- Control changes of GIL items in production, test, and maintenance
- Define and manage the contents of maintenance packages so that groups of resources can be updated and moved through the change process together
- Define and perform advanced database searches, sorting and using the result list to find and make document resource changes
- Show the tree structure of data items, such as Document Type Descriptions (LTDs)
- Open several database items in parallel
With the graphical interface, all of the above functions can be done in different panes of one window, improving administrator productivity, shortening cycle times for changes, and reducing training requirements.