IBM XL Fortran for AIX , V13.1 delivers support for the POWER7 processor architectureIBM United States Software Announcement 210-103
April 13, 2010
|Table of contents|
(Corrected on September 16, 2010)The Electronic Software Update orders section is revised.
|At a glance|
IBM® XL Fortran for AIX® is a standards-based, high-performance Fortran compiler with advanced optimizing features. IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 has a number of features:
- Support for the latest POWER7 processor architecture, for improved application performance and capability through exploitation of the architectural enhancements made available through the advancement of the Power® technology
- New diagnostic reports that can help identify opportunities to improve the performance of your applications
- Compliance to ISO programming language standards, including the new Fortran 2003 standard
- Support for the OpenMP 3.0 industry standard
For ordering, contact your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (Reference: YE001).
Back to top
IBM XL compilers are designed to optimize and tune your applications for execution on IBM Power platforms, to help you unleash the full power of your IT investment, create and maintain critical business and scientific applications, maximize application performance, and improve developer productivity. The performance gain from years of compiler optimization experience is seen in the continuous release-to-release compiler improvements that support the POWER4 processor through to the POWER5 and POWER6 processors.
With this release, IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 introduces enhancements for exploitation of the latest POWER7 architecture:
- Support for the vector unit and vector scalar extension (VSX) instruction set in the POWER7 processors
- Specific POWER7 processor tuning for the vector functions within the Mathematical Acceleration Subsystem (MASS) libraries
- New intrinsics to support POWER7 processor instructions
- New arch and tune compiler options to specify code generation for the POWER7 processor architecture
With the support of the latest POWER7 processor chip, IBM will have advanced a more than 20 year investment in the XL compilers for Power Series® and PowerPC® series architecture.
IBM has a long history of delivering innovative, high-quality compiler products to the marketplace. Over the course of multiple releases, the IBM XL family of compilers has offered new functions, enhancements, and standards conformance to provide you with the tools needed to develop and maintain smarter applications to meet critical business needs. Additional enhancements in this compiler release include:
- Full support for the Fortran 2003 programming language standards, and full support for the OpenMP 3.0 industry standard to give you more functionality and to allow for maximum portability of your source code
- Additional features for increased performance tuning and optimization of your Fortran applications
- New and enhanced compiler options, directives, and intrinsics to give you even more flexibility
Back to top
Systems: IBM Power System servers supported by:
- IBM AIX 5.3 TL 5300-07 or higher
- IBM AIX 6.1
- IBM PASE for i 6.1 with PTF SI30636 or higher
Required hard disk space: 250 MB
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
April 23, 2010
Back to top
IBM XL Fortran for AIX continues to deliver additional functionality and enhancements, including support for the latest POWER7 processor architecture, to help improve application performance and capability.
Exploitation of the new POWER7 processor architecture
A key strength of the IBM XL compiler family is performance and their ability to optimize and tune generated code for execution on Power platforms. The performance gain from years of IBM compiler optimization experience can be seen in the release-to-release compiler improvements from the development of the POWER4 processors, through to the POWER4+, POWER5, POWER5+, and POWER6 processors. XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 introduces support for the latest POWER7 processor architecture.
- Version 13.1 supports the Vector Scalar eXtension (VSX) instruction set in the POWER7 processors. New data types and intrinsic procedures are introduced to support the VSX instruction, allowing you to efficiently manipulate vector operations in your application. The advanced compiler optimizer can also automatically take advantage of these vector facilities to help automatically parallelize your application.
- The highly tuned Mathematical Acceleration Subsystem (MASS) libraries
are enhanced to support the POWER7 processors:
- The vector procedures within the vector MASS library have been tuned for the POWER7 architecture. The procedures can be used in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode.
- New procedures such as exp2, exp2m1, log21p, and log2 are added in both single-precision and double-precision functional groups. In addition, procedures supporting previous POWER® processors are included to support POWER7 processors.
- The MASS SIMD libraries, which contain an accelerated set of frequently used math intrinsic procedures, are enhanced to support POWER7 processors.
- New hardware directives and intrinsics unlock POWER7 processor features to allow you
to control directly at the application level:
- POWER7 prefetch extensions and cache control instructions
- POWER7 hardware instructions
- New arch and tune compiler options are added to specify code generation for the POWER7 processor architecture. -qarch=pwr7 instructs the compiler to produce code that can fully exploit the POWER7 hardware architecture. -qtune=pwr7 enables optimizations tuned for the POWER7 hardware platforms.
With the support of the latest POWER7 processor chip, IBM advances a more than 20 year investment in compilers for Power Series and PowerPC series architectures.
New diagnostics reports to improve the performance of your code
Compiler reports in XML format
With this release, reports containing key compiler optimization information are now available. These reports identify areas in your code where the compiler was able to apply optimization. Equally important, the reports will also provide information on areas where optimizations could not be applied along with the reasons why they were not applied. This type of information was not readily obvious or available in previous versions of the compiler. You can use this information to change your code to allow the compiler to take advantage of additional optimizations for improving performance.
These new compiler reports are produced in XML format (XML 1.0) and are easily consumable by tools that you can create to read and analyze the results. A stylesheet, xlstyle.xsl, is provided to allow you to render the report into a human-readable format that can be read by anyone with a browser that supports XSLT.
In this release, reports for four optimization categories are provided:
- Loop transformations
- Data reorganizations
- Profile-directed feedback information
The new -qlistfmt option and its associated suboptions generate the XML 1.0 report.
This new feature allows the compiler to report, in XML format, on the results of more detailed optimization transformation analysis that were previously available only with limited information and only in text format. These new reports can help you do a higher level of performance tuning in less time.
Enhanced profiling reports
When using -qreport with the -qpdf option, you get additional information on the loop iteration count and on the block and call count, and a report on the number of cache misses for certain functions.
Reports of data reorganization
The compiler now generates reports on data reorganizations that provide a summary of useful information about how program variable data is reorganized by the compiler. Information on data reorganization includes:
- Common block splitting
- Array splitting
- Array transposing
- Memory allocation merging
- Array interleaving
- Array coalescing
Also available is a report on the location of data prefetch instructions that are inserted by the compiler.
Additional loop analysis
A new suboption has been added to -qhot to allow for more aggressive loop analysis. In conjunction with this, -qhot=level=2 together with -qsmp and -qreport provide information about loop nests on which the aggressive loop analysis was performed. This report can be found in the Loop Transformation section of the listing file and can also appear in the new XML listing file.
Utilization tracking and reporting tool to understand your compiler usage
This release introduces a new feature that will enable you to track and report on the compiler utilization within your enterprise. You can use this feature to help determine whether your organization's use of the compiler matches your compiler license entitlements. When enabled, each invocation of the compiler is recorded in a compiler utilization file. The utilization reporting tool can then be used to generate a report of the overall usage of the compiler within your organization. In particular, the report indicates the number of concurrent users using the compiler.
The OpenMP API supports multi-platform shared-memory parallel programming in Fortran, C, and C++ on many architectures including UNIX® platforms and Microsoft® Windows® platforms. OpenMP is a portable, scalable programming model that provides parallel programmers a simple and flexible, standard interface for developing parallel applications for platforms ranging from the desktop to the supercomputer. The specification is defined by the OpenMP organization, a group of computer hardware and software vendors, including IBM. You can find more information about OpenMP specifications at
XL Fortran initially delivered selected features of the OpenMP V3.0 in the previous V12.1 release. With this V13.1 release, XL Fortran now supports the full OpenMP 3.0 industry specification. Features implemented for OpenMP V3.0 in this release are:
- Full support for OpenMP task level parallelizations - The OpenMP constructs TASK and TASKWAIT give users the ability to parallelize irregular algorithms, such as pointer chasing or recursive algorithms.
- Allocatable arrays - Allocatable arrays allow you to specify these arrays on PRIVATE, FIRSTPRIVATE, LASTPRIVATE, REDUCTION, COPYIN, and COPYPRIVATE clauses.
- Nested parallelism - Runtime routines are available to you to set or get the nested levels and thread limit.
- Stack size control - Users can now control the size of the stack for threads created by the OMP runtime library using the new environment variable OMP_STACKSIZE.
- New environment variables - Users can provide hints to the compiler on the desired behavior of waiting threads using the new environment variable OMP_WAIT_POLICY.
- Private clause - Some restrictions on the PRIVATE clause have been removed. A list item that appears in the reduction clause of a parallel construct can now also appear in a PRIVATE clause on a work-sharing construct.
- Scheduling - A new SCHEDULE type, AUTO, allows the compiler and runtime system to control scheduling.
- Static schedule - Consecutive loop constructs with STATIC schedule with NOWAIT clause now guarantee the same iterations are being assigned to the same thread in the constructs.
- OMP_THREAD_LIMIT environment variable - Users can set this environment variable to determine the number of OpenMP threads to use for the whole program. OMP_MAX_ACTIVE_LEVELS can be set to control the maximum number of nested and active parallel regions.
Fortran 2003 standard
XL Fortran began implementing features for the new Fortran 2003 standard starting with XL Fortran for AIX, V8.1 (2002). Additional features were added in V9.1, 10.1, 11.1, and 12.1 as the standard changed from draft to ratified. With XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1, the remaining features are implemented so that the full Fortran 2003 programming language standard is now made available you.
The newly supported Fortran 2003 features are:
- Parameterized derived types, including kind and length parameters
- Generic interfaces with the same name as derived types
Support of programming language standards not only provides you with significant functionality but also allows for maximum portability of your source code among a variety of compiler implementations.
New and enhanced compiler options and directives for more flexibility
The following additional new or changed compiler options are available with this release of the compiler:
- -qarch includes a new suboption, -qarch=pwr7, allowing you to instruct the compiler to produce code that can fully exploit the POWER7 hardware platforms.
- -qassert includes new suboptions to provide information about the characteristics of the files that can help you to fine-tune optimizations.
- The -qbindcextname option can be used to control whether the -qextname option affects Fortran 2003 BIND(C) entities.
- -qfunctrace, inserts calls to user-defined tracing procedures at procedure entry and exit giving you powerful user-customizable debugging and profiling capabilities.
- The -qhot compiler option is a powerful alternative to tuning by hand. -qhot provides opportunities to optimize loops and array language. A new suboption is added for -qhot. The -qhot=fastmath option enables the replacement of math routines with available math routines from the XLOPT library only if -qstrict=nolibrary is enabled. -qhot=nofastmath disables this replacement.
- For improved performance, -qinline attempts to inline functions instead of generating calls to those functions and gives you new control over this powerful optimization.
- -qlibmpi is used to tune code based on the known behavior of the Message Passing Interface (MPI) functions.
- -qlistfmt generates an XML 1.0 report containing information about some optimizations performed by the compiler and some missed optimization opportunities for inlining, loop transformations, data reorganization, and profile-directed feedback.
- -qmkshrobj is used to create a shared object from generated object files.
- New suboptions are added to -qpdf1 and -qpdf2.
- -qprefetch includes a new suboption. When working with applications that generate a high cache-miss rate, -qprefetch=assistthread can be used to exploit assist threads for data prefetching.
- -qsaveopt is enhanced to also include the user's configuration file name and the options specified in the configuration files.
- -qsimd controls whether the compiler can automatically take advantage of vector instructions for processors that support them.
- -qstackprotect is used to protect your applications against malicious code or programming errors that overwrite or corrupt the stack.
- -qstrict includes a new suboption to allow more control over optimizations and transformations that violate strict program semantics. -qstrict=vectorprecision disables vectorization in loops where it might produce different results in vectorized iterations than in nonvectorized ones.
- The -qtune=pwr7 suboption is added to -qtune to enable tuning for the POWER7 hardware platforms.
New directives and intrinsics to help improve performance
- New VSX intrinsics and vector data types have been added to enable direct access to these powerful vector capabilities of the POWER7 processors.
- The POWER7 processor has cache control and stream prefetch extensions that support store stream prefetch and prefetch depth control. New directives are made available to provide direct programmer access to these functions.
- New intrinsics are added corresponding to each new POWER7 hardware instruction. These functions are designed to allow you to improve performance by directly manipulating specific hardware instructions in your code at the application level.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 is capable as of April 13, 2010, when used in accordance with associated IBM documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested on the following Web site
Back to top
At a basic level, compilers are a bridge between your applications and the hardware architectures on which you run your business. IBM compilers are designed to unleash the full power of IBM processors, including those for the different architectures shipped in the popular IBM Power Systems.
IBM compilers are designed to improve programmer productivity. The state-of-the-art compilation technology enables programmers to exploit leading-edge performance of the new hardware without source code changes. Developers need to focus only on the logic of the applications and let the compiler figure out the best way to transform and optimize the code generation for the system the application will run on.
Harness the power of parallel computing
Parallel programming with IBM XL Fortran exploits the advantages of multiprocessor systems, while maintaining full binary compatibility with existing single-processor systems. With XL Fortran you can use any of the following to develop your parallelized applications:
- An extensive range of OpenMP directives and non-OpenMP SMP directives
- Message passing interface (MPI)
- The POSIX treads (Pthreads) library module
For high-bandwidth data processing and algorithmic-intensive applications, XL Fortran can leverage VMX and VSX instructions and automatic SIMDization to improve program performance. By processing multiple pieces of data at once, the speed of executed code can increase, with the added benefit that the source code may not need to be rewritten.
Powerful, no-hassle performance optimization
Well-written and thoroughly debugged code, fully conformant to its language standard, can take maximum advantage of the optimizing technology in XL Fortran and may provide an increase in performance. The optimization and hardware features in XL Fortran help improve developer productivity. The compiler is able to generate code that exploits the leading-edge performance in existing and new hardware, often with minimal source code changes. IBM XL Fortran supports several levels of increasingly aggressive code transformations. Advanced optimization techniques such as inter-procedural analysis (IPA) and profile-directed feedback (PDF) are available only at high levels of optimization but can result in increased performance improvements. IPA analyzes and optimizes your application as a whole, rather than on a file-by-file basis. PDF generates information that instructs the optimizer to focus on trade-offs that favor code that executes more frequently.
Get more performance from the POWER platform with minimal or no source code changes. Upgrade to the latest IBM XL Fortran compiler, which incorporates the latest advances in optimization and hardware technology support.
Multiple-platform XL C/C++ and Fortran
IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 is part of a larger family of IBM Fortran, C, and C++ compilers which supports multiple platforms such as AIX, z/OS® (C/C++), IBM Power Systems, Linux®, Blue Gene/L, Blue Gene/P, and Cell Broadband Engine architecture. The modular structure of these compilers delivers optimizations and functionality on all platforms and to all languages. Further, each product derives from a common code base, so features and optimizations are tested in multiple languages and on multiple platforms. A common code base along with compliance with international standards make source-level portability of applications between IBM platforms easier.
Built on a common architecture, XL Fortran, XL C, and XL C/C++ compilers promote consistency and reliability on many IBM platforms.
Programming language standards, industry specifications, and other language influences
Programming language standards
IBM XL Fortran supports the Fortran 77, 90, and 95 standards. With V13.1, XL Fortran supports the full Fortran 2003 standard including the object-oriented programming model.
IBM XL Fortran consists of the following:
- The full American National Standard Fortran 90 language (Fortran 90) as
- American National Standard Programming languages - Fortran, ANSI X3.198-1992
- Information technology - Programming languages - Fortran, ISO/IEC 1539-1:1991(E)
- The full ISO Fortran 95 language standard (Fortran 95) as defined in:
- Information technology - Programming languages - Fortran - Part 1: Base Language, ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
- Extensions to the Fortran 95 standard:
- Common industry extensions found in Fortran products from various compiler vendors
- Extensions specified in SAA® Fortran
- The full Fortran 2003 language standard including full support of the object-oriented programming model with parameterized derived-types.
Industry specifications and other language influences
The IBM XL family of compilers is deeply involved in parallel computing and high-performance computing. The XL compilers implement both the AltiVec/VMX programming interface and the OpenMP 3.0 specification for shared memory programming model. With the V13.1 release, the Vector Scalar Extension (VSX) instruction set within the POWER7 architecture is also supported.
IBM is a member of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC). The mission of SPEC is to identify and maintain standardized benchmarks that will drive high-performance computing for many years. SPEC released SPEC CPU2006 in 2006. CPU2006 is a benchmark focused on a system's processor, memory subsystem, and compiler. IBM continues to participate in the SPECCOMP suite which measures the performance of parallel benchmarks using OpenMP.
Support of programming language standards allows for portability of your source code among a variety of compiler implementations.
Back to top
Program Program number VRM name 5724-X15 13.1 IBM XL Fortran for AIX
Product identification number
Program Program name number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 5724-X15 XL Fortran for AIX 5648-F41 SW S&S 1 Year After License - per Authorized User - per Concurrent User XL Fortran for AIX 5648-F44 SW S&S No Charge Registration/ 1 Year Renewal - per Authorized User - per Concurrent User XL Fortran for AIX 5648-F43 SW S&S 3 Year Registration - per Authorized User - per Concurrent User XL Fortran for AIX 5648-F42 SW S&S 3 Year Renewal - per Authorized User - per Concurrent User XL Fortran for AIX 5648-F40 SW S&S 3 Year After Licence - per Authorized User - per Concurrent User
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld® ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No hardcopy publications are shipped with this program.
IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 20 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries, free of charge.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
- For XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1:
- System: IBM Power Systems servers supported by AIX 5.3 or AIX 6.1
- Disk space: 250 MB
- For XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 Portable Application Solutions Environment
for i (IBM PASE
- IBM i or AS/400® RISC model server
- For XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1:
- AIX 5.3 TL 5300-07 (or later) or AIX 6.1
- Viewers to access and display the documentation such as:
- Frames-capable browser to access HTML documentation
- Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer to view PDF files
- For XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1:
- IBM PASE for i 6.1 with PTF SI30636 or later
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
For information regarding IBM XL Fortran, visit
For information regarding IBM Application Development, visit
The IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 package contains:
- One CD-ROM containing the XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 product
- XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 Quickstart Guide
- Passport Advantage customer letter
- Passport Advantage media pack pointer sheet
This program, when downloaded from a Web site, contains the applicable IBM license agreement and License Information, if appropriate, which will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. For future reference, the license and License Information will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT.
Security, auditability, and control
IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 uses the security and auditability features of the host hardware or software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based Software Services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
This product is available only via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product Group: IBM XL Fortran Product Identifier Description: IBM XL Fortran PID: 5724-X15 Product Category: XL Fortran
Part number or Program name PID number Charge metric XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 5724-X15 Authorized User Concurrent User XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 BA0YLML Authorized User Concurrent User
This Program is licensed and charged based upon either the Authorized User or Concurrent User charge metric.
Authorized User is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. An Authorized User is a unique person who is given access to the Program. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers and each Authorized User may have simultaneous access to any number of instances of the Program at one time. Licensee must obtain separate, dedicated entitlements for each Authorized User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means. An entitlement for an Authorized User is unique to that Authorized User and may not be shared, nor may it be reassigned other than for the permanent transfer of the Authorized User entitlement to another person.
Concurrent User is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. A Concurrent User is a person who is accessing the Program at any particular point in time. Regardless of whether the person is simultaneously accessing the Program multiple times, the person counts only as a single Concurrent User. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers, but Licensee must obtain entitlements for the maximum number of Concurrent Users simultaneously accessing the Program. Licensee must obtain an entitlement for each simultaneous Concurrent User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means.
Part Program name/Description number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 Media Package Multilingual BA0YLML XL Fortran for AIX Authorized User Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo D5APSLL XL Fortran for AIX Authorized User Annual SW S&S Rnwl E1APULL XL Fortran for AIX Authorized User SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo D5APVLL XL Fortran for AIX Concurrent User Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo D043TLL XL Fortran for AIX Concurrent User Annual SW S&S Rnwl E04U9LL XL Fortran for AIX Concurrent User SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo D043ULL
Passport Advantage trade-up
Customers who have originally acquired licenses for Authorized User can trade-up their Authorized User licenses to an equivalent or appropriate number of Concurrent User licenses (previously known as Floating User).
Below is a list of precursor products and their associated Authorized User part numbers for which you must have already acquired a license in order to be eligible to acquire the equivalent Concurrent User licenses using the trade-up part number.
Precursor product Trade-up product Trade-up part number XL Fortran for AIX XL Fortran for AIX D0CNXLL to trade-up from Authorized User Concurrent User single Authorized User single entitlement single entitlement to single Concurrent User
Consult your IBM representative if you have any questions.
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active Maintenance or Subscription for the products listed below are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Entitled Maintenance Offerings description XL Fortran for AIX Media Pack description Part number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 Media Pk Multilingual BA0YLML
Basic license: To order the programs described in this announcement for 5724-X15 specify the type-model number and the applicable features from the tables below. The medium feature (CD-ROM) need only be specified as required. To request the media package (CD-ROM), specify media supply features 5809 and 3410.
When placing an ESD order in econfig, specify a billing feature, the media features 5809 and 3410, and the ESD-only feature 3450.
One- time charge Medium Program feature feature Description number number Medium number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 5724-X15 OTC with 1 Year SW S&S - per Authorized User 0222 - per Concurrent User 0223 Media Package CD-ROM 5809 CD-ROM 3410 Expedite Fee charge to Branch 3445 Customization features: ESD for Upgrades only 3450 Do not ship pubs 3470 Do not ship media 3471
Electronic Software Update orders
Entitled Software Update (ESU) is a way for customers to self-order their POWER software release upgrades via the Entitled Software Support (ESS) Web site without the need to go to their seller to place the upgrade order. ESU orders for Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) will now be available in all countries. ESU orders for POWER software, including IBM XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1, will be placed on the ESS Web site
Customers should generally select electronic delivery when ordering via ESU, but do have the ability to select physical delivery. Programs ordered for ESD will have the same download images provided as provided on the CD media shipped for physical orders.
ESU customers placing ESD software orders will receive an e-mail with software order information. The ESU customer will be able to immediately proceed to the "Downloads" Web site support for program access, instead of waiting for delivery of a physical package shipped from IBM.
Customers choosing physical delivery will also have the electronic images available for ESD download.
ESD help (instructions on how to use)
ESD sign-in (must have customer number and POWER software entitlements to get in)
List of POWER software products that are available for electronic download
Maintenance offering customer: Media supply entitlement details
Customers with active Software Maintenance for XL Fortran for AIX or XL Fortran Enterprise Edition for AIX are entitled to receive the media supply corresponding to XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 or a previous level of the program as long as the level of the program continues to be active.
Eligible customers should add the applicable CD-ROM media supply feature number from the following table to their existing maintenance record. To request the media package (CD-ROM), specify the media supply features 5809 and 3410.
When placing an ESD order in econfig, specify a billing feature, the media features 5809 and 3410, and the ESD-only feature 3450. Note that these ESD features are also applicable to the compiler products:
- XL Fortran for AIX, V12.1 (5724-U82)
- XL Fortran Enterprise Edition for AIX, V11.1 (5724-S72)
- XL Fortran Enterprise Edition for AIX, V10.1 (5724-M13)
Entitled maintenance offerings description XL Fortran for AIX Medium feature Description number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 CD-ROM Media Supply 5809 for PID 5724-X15 CD-ROM Media Supply 3410 Expedite fee charge to Branch 3445 Customization features: ESD for Upgrades only 3450 Do not ship pubs 3470 Do not ship media 3471 XL Fortran Ent Edition AIX V12.1 CD-ROM Media Supply 5809 for PID 5724-U82 CD-ROM Media Supply 3410 Expedite fee charge to Branch 3445 Customization features: ESD for Upgrades only 3450 Do not ship pubs 3470 Do not ship media 3471 XL Fortran Ent Edition AIX V11.1 CD-ROM Media Supply 5809 for PID 5724-S72 CD-ROM Media Supply 3410 Expedite fee charge to Branch 3445 Customization features: ESD for Upgrades only 3450 Do not ship pubs 3470 Do not ship media 3471 XL Fortran Ent Edition AIX V10.1 CD-ROM Media Supply 5809 for PID 5724-M13 CD-ROM Media Supply 3410 Expedite fee charge to Branch 3445 Customization features: ESD for Upgrades only 3450 Do not ship pubs 3470 Do not ship media 3471
Trade-up from Authorized User to Concurrent User
Customers who have originally acquired licenses for Authorized User can trade-up their Authorized User licenses to an equivalent or appropriate number of Concurrent User licenses.
Below is a list of precursor products and their associated Authorized User part numbers for which you must have already acquired a license in order to be eligible to acquire the equivalent Concurrent User licenses using the trade-up feature code.
Precursor product Trade-up product Trade-up feature code XL Fortran for AIX XL Fortran for AIX Is used to trade-up from Authorized User Concurrent User single Authorized User single entitlement single entitlement to single Concurrent User
Consult your IBM representative if you have any questions.
One- time charge program Feature Description number number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 5724-X15 - trade up from single Authorized User entitlement to single Concurrent User entitlement 0224
This software license includes Software Subscription and Technical Support, previously referred to as Software Maintenance.
Extending coverage for a total of three years from date of acquisition may be elected. Order the program number, feature number, and quantity to extend coverage for your software licenses. If maintenance has expired, specify the after license feature number.
Feature Feature description number 5724-X15 - XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 Per Authorized User with 1 Year SW S&S 0222 Per Concurrent User with 1 Year SW S&S 0223 5724-X15 - XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 5809 Multilingual, CD ROM 3410 5648-F44 - IBM XL Fortran for AIX Per Authorized User SW S&S No Charge Registration 0001 Per Authorized User SW S&S 1 Year Renewal 0002 Per Concurrent User SW S&S No Charge Registration 0003 Per Concurrent User SW S&S 1 Year Renewal 0004 5648-F41 - IBM XL Fortran for AIX Per Authorized User SW S&S 1 Year After License 0001 Per Concurrent User SW S&S 1 Year After License 0002 5648-F43 - IBM XL Fortran for AIX Per Authorized User SW S&S 3 Year Registration 0001 Per Concurrent User SW S&S 3 Year Registration 0002 5648-F42 - IBM XL Fortran for AIX Per Authorized User SW S&S 3 Year Renewal 0001 Per Concurrent User SW S&S 3 Year Renewal 0002 5648-F40 - IBM XL Fortran for AIX Per Authorized User SW S&S 3 Year After License 0001 Per Concurrent User SW S&S 3 Year After License 0002
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is available only via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
This software license includes Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance).
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
The IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011) agreement applies for Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) and does not require customer signatures.
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
Program technical support
Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of five years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. You will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Authorization for use on home/portable computer
The program may be stored on the primary machine and another machine, provided that the program is not in active use on both machines at the same time.
Volume orders (IVO)
Yes. Contact your IBM representative.
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
For additional information, refer to the License Information document that is available on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance), is now included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support for the products announced in this announcement is provided by the Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity by providing voice or electronic access into the IBM support organizations.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option.
While your Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, every day of the year. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under this agreement.
For additional information about the Passport Advantage Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage Web site at
All distributed software licenses include Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) for a period of 12 months from the date of acquisition, providing a streamlined way to acquire IBM software and assure technical support coverage for all licenses. Extending coverage, for a total of three years from date of acquisition, may be elected. For additional information, refer to Changes to Distributed Software Products Model for Products Outside Passport Advantage Software Announcement 201-201, (RFA35479) dated July 10, 2001.
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Yes. A 15% education allowance applies to qualified education institution customers.
Back to top
Business Partner information
If you are an IBM Business Partner -- Distributor for Workstation Software acquiring products from IBM, you may link to Passport Advantage Online for resellers where you can obtain Business Partner pricing information. An IBM ID and password are required.
Information on charges is available at
Select "United States" and then click on "IBMLink 2000."
One- time charge Program feature Description number number XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1 with 1 Year SW S&S - per Authorized User 5724-X15 0222 - per Concurrent User 5724-X15 0223 - trade up from single Authorize User entitlement to single Concurrent User entitlement 5724-X15 0224 XL Fortran for AIX, SW S&S No Charge Registration - per Authorized User 5648-F44 0001 - per Concurrent User 5648-F44 0003 SW S&S 1 Year Renewal - per Authorized User 5648-F44 0002 - per Concurrent User 5648-F44 0004 XL Fortran for AIX, SW S&S 1 Year After License - per Authorized User 5648-F41 0001 - per Concurrent User 5648-F41 0002 XL Fortran for AIX, SW S&S 3 Year Registration - per Authorized User 5648-F43 0001 - per Concurrent User 5648-F43 0002 XL Fortran for AIX, SW S&S 3 Year Renewal - per Authorized User 5648-F42 0001 - per Concurrent User 5648-F42 0002 XL Fortran for AIX, SW S&S 3 Year After License - per Authorized User 5648-F40 0001 - per Concurrent User 5648-F40 0002
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers or your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
POWER7, POWER4, POWER5, POWER6, POWER4+, POWER5+, Power Systems, Blue Gene/L, Blue Gene/P and IBMLink are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, AIX, Power, Power Series, PowerPC, POWER, z/OS, SAA, PartnerWorld, Passport Advantage, AS/400 and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Cell Broadband Engine is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both and is used under license therefrom.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page