IBM Security 10G Network Active Bypass helps deliver critical network uptime and helps maximize security coverage of today's core 10GbE networksIBM United States Services Announcement 611-006
June 7, 2011
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Security 10G Network Active Bypass:
- Addresses network availability by helping minimize time to failover
- Enables uninterrupted access to applications by maintaining link state during bypass operations
- Powers high availability network IPS deployments
- Helps simplify troubleshooting with SNMP trap support and email support
- Supports up to four 10 GbE network segments in any combination of Copper, MM Fiber, and SM fiber
- Provides management over Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) via web browser
For ordering, contact uour IBM representative or an IBM Business Partner. For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255). Reference: YE001
Back to top
IBM Security 10G Network Active Bypass provides a mechanism for maintaining network uptime. Previous active bypass units only supported 1 Gigabit networks. Security 10G Network Active Bypass is designed to support today's core 10GbE networks, and supports up to four 10GbE networks.
Security 10G Network Active Bypass complements the IBM Security Network Intrusion Prevention GX7800 appliance to help provide "Ahead of the Threat" protection for core networks. It also helps save money by controlling bandwidth-consuming applications such as file sharing programs, including Facebook, Skype, and media streaming applications.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
June 10, 2011
Back to top
Business managers and IT professionals constantly strive to maximize network security to protect critical data and applications, and to comply with industry and regulatory mandates. Simultaneously, they strive for 100 percent network uptime to ensure competitive, uninterrupted business operations. Concerns with improving security with inline appliances are potentially introducing new points of failure into the network.
Help enable maximum network security with minimum downtime
Complementing IBM Security Network Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) with IBM Security 10G Network Active Bypass helps you to maximize network security and availability. If the Security Network IPS appliances fail for any reason, Security 10G Network Active Bypass is designed to help ensure the network remains functional and users have unimpeded access to important applications. Designed for fast, simple deployment, Security 10G Network Active Bypass is an intelligent and effective system that combines flexible configuration, simple management, and reliable, low-cost operation. In addition, it allows flexibility by supporting four independent physical network segments in various combinations.
IBM Security 10G Network Active Bypass also:
- Provides both active and passive bypass capabilities: Security 10G Network Active Bypass intelligently incorporates two bypass modes. The active bypass capabilities provide flexibility and can deliver an uninterrupted communications session, and the passive bypass capabilities deliver traditional static bypass.
- Provides high availability network IPS deployments: Security 10G Network Active Bypass provides the option to deploy IBM Security Network IPS appliances with high availability. In the event that a primary IPS device should fail, Security 10G Network Active Bypass can be configured to fail in a way that allows the network to redirect traffic to a failover IPS device.
- Enables plug-and-play installation and simple configuration: A self-generating heartbeat makes installation fast and simple; and because the heartbeat is configurable, users can match their requirements for heartbeats and failover by using the Intrusion Prevention System heartbeat or link state change.
- Provides intelligent, modular operation: Security 10G Network Active Bypass supports four independent network segments, each offering full bypass functionality without interrupting existing network sessions. This includes allowing the existing network infrastructure to reroute traffic automatically if an inline network appliance must be taken off the network for maintenance. It also performs failover in case of a software crash or power failure. Segments are segregated, so if one segment goes into bypass, the other segments remain unaffected.
- Streamlines monitoring and troubleshooting: Security 10G Network Active Bypass's extensive but easy-to-use management capabilities include support for the web GUI, HTTPS, SNMP, email notifications, and Command Line Interface (CLI). It also supports Test Access Port (TAP), which optimizes the ability for the IT staff to monitor network links.
- Delivers reliability and economy: Security 10G Network Active Bypass includes two redundant external power supplies for maximum uptime. Its intelligent and efficient design enables very low power consumption and helps increase reliability by eliminating the need for a fan.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
For pricing information, contact your IBM Security representative at 1-800-776-2362.
Back to top
To order, contact your local IBM representative or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM Business Partner or IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968). For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) For IBM representative: email@example.com For IBM Business Partner: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 4/3 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1 Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Electronic Service Agent is a trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page