TME 10 Inventory Provides a Cross-Platform, Automated Approach to Inventory Management
September 10, 1996
Announcement Number: 296-346
Document's Table of Contents:
- At a Glance
- EDUCATION SUPPORT
- TECHNICAL INFORMATION
- ORDERING INFORMATION
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS
At a Glance
TME 10 Inventory, the industry's first enterprise-scale inventory solution, extends the usefulness of inventory information to new personnel, such as accounting and non-technical staff, in addition to LAN administrators. It offers:
- Bottoms-up inventory data capture
- Scans systems and discovers hardware, software, and configuration file information
- Scheduled, event-driven, or on-demand basis
- Automatically discovers system information
- Tracks configuration changes generated by end users, producing an accurate view of the environment
- Customer adaptable repository
- Extensible data model on Oracle or Sybase
- Accessible using IBM or third-party query/reporting tools
- Integration with Change Management
- Automatically identifies system configurations that conflict with policy
- In conjunction with TME 10 Software Distribution, may alert systems administrators or automatically re-establish the authorized configuration point
- Integration with TME 10 Software Distribution
- Inventory query results can be automatically used as targets for software updates
- Software delivery to systems only when they meet specific criteria
- Avoids distributions which could disable or damage an existing installation
Enterprise management of distributed resources presents one of the most significant challenges to MIS executives today. A critical area that has remained largely unaddressed by most tools on the market is the area of enterprise-scale inventory management. At its simplest, this is the process of gathering information about installed hardware and software components across all platforms in the enterprise. The information is then utilized to more effectively perform critical management tasks, such as software distribution, distributed monitoring, and remote control. Some tools exist to focus on the financial management of those assets, but these tools do not employ significant levels of automation and are not integrated with the processes of systems and applications management.
TME 10 Inventory is the industry's first enterprise-scale solution focused on addressing the integrated management of hardware and software in today's complex, distributed environments. By leveraging Tivoli's object-oriented Tivoli Management Framework, TME 10 Inventory provides a cross-platform, automated approach to the problem of gathering, managing, and utilizing tremendous amounts of inventory information. Only with TME 10 Inventory can you:
- Track inventory on UNIX(1) and PC systems with a single solution (client/server discovery),
- Store data in leading Relational Data Base Management System (Oracle and Sybase),
- View inventory about all systems in the enterprise from a single point (enterprise scalability),
- Automatically enforce software policy and automatically adapt to all software changes in the environment,
- Construct and re-use queries and reports within the TME 10 environment.
TME 10 Inventory is the newest product in the TME 10 suite of integrated management applications. Primarily designed to support the process of Software Distribution initially, TME 10 Inventory allows customers to implement the Tivoli concept of "Full Cycle Deployment." By ensuring that "bottoms-up" hardware/software inventory information can be gathered anytime from client and server systems, Full Cycle Deployment significantly increases the accuracy and success rate of distributions.
TME 10 Inventory provides true end-to-end coverage of a customer's UNIX, and Windows+ platforms, and consequently runs on a variety of UNIX and workstation platforms.
Planned Availability Date
September 13, 1996
TME 10 Inventory is the most comprehensive, full function product for automatic collection and management of network and computer system's inventory in the industry today.
TME 10 Inventory is based on the Tivoli Management Framework, the industry's leading solution for cross-platform, end-to-end network computing management. As an integral part of Tivoli's solution for "Full-Cycle Deployment" (which also includes TME 10 Software Distribution and products based on Tivoli's Application Management Specification), TME 10 Inventory provides two key advantages to customers.
First, as the only enterprise-scale inventory solution which provides "bottoms-up" inventory scans to detect all critical hardware and software components from both client and server systems, TME 10 Inventory provides administrators with the information they need to ensure efficient, reliable distribution and activation of software across heterogeneous distributed environments. The integrated query facility allows administrators to easily determine which criteria must be met before performing synchronized distributions to clients and servers.
Second, this single "enterprise view" of inventory information can be leveraged to enhance related tools, such as those used for financial asset management and help desk management, by providing comprehensive coverage of all critical inventory information from UNIX systems, LAN servers, and desktop/mobile clients (Windows 95, Windows NT, and Windows 3.x).
In addition, TME 10 Inventory's integrated query facility allows the administrator to easily identify groups of systems based on particular criteria, and then store those groupings for use by other disciplines in the TME 10 family of products. While the initial implementation is most closely tied to TME 10 Software Distribution, these groupings can be used by other TME 10 applications, such as TME 10 User Administration and TME 10 Distributed Monitoring.
TME 10 Inventory is designed as an enterprise-scale configuration repository, tightly integrated with TME 10 Software Distribution to enable Full-Cycle Deployment. It covers all leading UNIX platforms, Windows NT, Windows 95, and Windows 3.x. It is designed to address 10,000s of desktops, capture inventory information for both clients and servers, and utilizes the TME 10 Framework services for much of its capabilities. Customers with large, complex heterogeneous environments should consider TME 10 Inventory.
Training is available, or will be made available in the future, for the TME 10 products. Some training is offered through IBM Education and Training and some through Tivoli Systems.
For current information on IBM Education and Training courses in the US, contact 800-IBM TEACH (426-8322). Outside the U.S., contact your local country IBM E&T contact. Worldwide information is also available on the IBM E&T Internet home page at http://www.training.ibm.com.
For current information on Tivoli Systems education, call 512-794-9070, or visit the Tivoli Systems Internet Home Page at http://www.tivoli.com.
Specified Operating Environment
TME 10 Inventory requires TME 10 Framework, and supports the following hardware platforms:
- IBM RISC System/6000(R) and PowerPC(TM) systems
- Sun SPARC systems
- Intel 486 or Pentium, or equivalent
- HP 9000 systems
Supported Server Manual Message Platform Libraries Binaries Database Pages Catalogs
AIX(R) 3.2.5 3MB 4MB 0MB* 1MB 0.5MB AIX 4.1 3MB 4MB 0MB* 1MB 0.5MB HP 9.x 3MB 4MB 0MB 1MB 0.5MB HP 10.0 3MB 4MB 0MB 1MB 0.5MB Solaris 3MB 4MB 0MB 1MB 0.5MB SunOS 3MB 4MB 0MB 1MB 0.5MB
* Not appreciable
Note: The disk space for TME 10 Inventory is in addition to the disk space required by TME 10 Framework.
The following table represents the required disk space for installing TME 10 Inventory's PC agents:
Agents using TCP/IP
Supported Agent Agent CLI Message Platform Libraries Binaries Database Binaries Catalogs
Windows NT 0KB* 300KB 0KB* 675KB 0KB* Windows 0KB* 250KB 0KB* 350KB 0KB* Windows 95 0KB* 270KB 0KB* 550KB 0KB*
Agents using IPX/SPX
Windows NT 0KB* 240KB 0KB* 680KB 0KB* Windows 0KB* 244KB 0KB* 328KB 0KB* Windows 95 0KB* 240KB 0KB* 680KB 0KB*
* Not appreciable
Software Requirements: TME 10 Inventory's server component runs on the following operating systems:
- AIX 3.2.5 with PTF U435001
- AIX 4.12 and 4.13 with Motif 1.2
- HP/UX 9.03, HP/UX 9.05 with Motif 1.2
- HP/UX 9.01 with patch PHKL_3075 and Motif 1.2
- HP/UX 9.00 with patch PHKL_2258 and Motif 1.2
- HP/UX 10.01 and Motif 1.2 with PA RISC 1.1
- SunOS 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 with Motif 1.2
- Sun Openlook with the jumbo OpenWindows patch 100444-62 with Motif 1.2
- Solaris 2.3 with jumbo kernel patch 101318-59
- Solaris 2.4 with jumbo patch 101945-11
- Oracle Relational Database Release 7.x
- Sysbase SQL Server Release 10.x
- Microsoft Windows NT 3.1, 3.5 and 3.51
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 or 3.11 with any WINSOCK compliant stack
- Microsoft Windows 95
Security, Auditability, and Control
TME 10 Inventory uses the security and auditability features of the RISC System/6000 hardware and the AIX operating system and other UNIX and non-UNIX operating systems on which the TME 10 Framework operates.
User management is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Orders for new licenses will be accepted now. Shipment will begin on the planned availability date.
Basic License: To order a basic license, specify the program number and feature number 9001 for asset registration.
10/Flex Charge 10/Flex Charge per Managed per Managed Client Product Product Server (Qty 1) (Qty 250) Number Name Feature Feature Feature
5697-INV TME 10 Inventory 0001 0002 0252
Specify the feature number of the desired distribution medium shown below.
A customer may upgrade to TME 10 Inventory under the following conditions:
- Software Advantage: If the customer is a licensed user of the IBM Software Advantage for Workstations, 5809-AAR, for the products noted in Table 1 below, the customer may upgrade to TME 10 Inventory at no charge. Specify the upgrade feature code from Table 1 below.
- Workstation Products: If a customer is a licensed user of any of the products shown in Table 2 below, the customer may upgrade to TME 10 Inventory. Specify the upgrade feature code from Table 2 below.
Table 1: Upgrading Software Advantage
Upgrading From Program Upgrading to Upgrade Software Number TME 10 Product Feature Advantage (Features) (Feature): Number
NetFinity(TM) Manager V4 5803-AAR TME 10 Inventory 0600 50H0809 (0199) 5697-INV (0001) 52H3854 (0237) 62H6821 (0239) NetFinity Services V4 5803-AAR TME 10 Inventory 0601 (Clients) 52H3855 (0238) 5697-INV (0002) 52H3854 (0237) Clients, Qty 1 62H6822 (0240)
Table 2: Upgrading from Workstation Products
Upgrading to Upgrade Upgrading Part TME 10 Product Feature From: Number (Feature): Qty Number
NetFinity Manager V4 78H5375 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 78H4902 5697-INV (0001) 1 78H4903 5 78H4904 10 78H4905 50 78H4906 Specify
NetFinity Manager V3 41H6272 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 41H6399 5697-INV (0001) 1 41H6400 1
NetFinity Services V4 78H5376 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 (Clients) 78H4913 5697-INV (0002) 1 78H4914 Clients, Qty 1 5 78H4915 10 78H4916 50 78H4917 Specify
NetFinity Services V3 41H6273 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 (Clients) 41H6403 5697-INV (0002) 25 41H6404 Clients, Qty 1 50 41H6405 100 41H6410 25 41H6411 50 41H6412 100
NetFinity Services V3 41H6406 TME 10 Inventory 1 0604 (Clients) 41H6407 5697-INV (0252) 2 41H6408 Clients, Qty 250 4 41H6409 10 41H6413 1 41H6414 2 41H6415 4 41H6416 10
Basic Machine-Readable Material: To order, select the feature number of the desired distribution medium:
Feature Distribution Number Medium
Customization Options: Select the appropriate feature number to customize your order to specify the delivery options desired. These features can be specified on the initial or MES orders.
Example: If publications are not desired for the initial order, and for future updates, specify feature numbers 3470 to ship media only, and 3480 to ship media updates only. In the future if publication updates were required, order an MES to remove feature number 3480, and the publications will ship with the next release for the program.
Feature Description Number
Serial Number Only (suppresses shipment of media and documentation) 3444
Ship Media Only (suppresses initial shipment of documentation) 3470 Ship Documentation Only (suppresses initial shipment of media) 3471
Ship Media Updates Only (suppresses update shipment of documentation) 3480
Ship Documentation Only (suppresses update shipment of media) 3481
Suppress Updates (suppresses update shipment of media and documentation) 3482
Local IBM Office Expedite (for IBM use only) 3445
Customer Expedite Process Charge ($30 charge for each product) 3446
Expedite shipments will be processed to receive 72-hour delivery from the time IBM Software Manufacturing Solutions (SMS) receives the order. SMS will then ship the order via overnight air transportation.
A memo and one copy of the following publication are supplied automatically with the basic machine-readable material:
Order Title Number
Tivoli/Inventory User's Guide GC31-8381
Subsequent updates (technical newsletters or revisions between releases) to the publications shipped with the product will be distributed to the user of record for as long as a license for this software remains in effect. A separate publication order or subscription is not needed.
Licensing: The program in this announcement is licensed under the terms of the IBM Customer Agreement, and the Addendum for Tivoli Products.
Variable Charges Apply: No
Installation License or Location License Applies: No
Educational Allowance: A reduced charge is available to qualified education customers. The educational allowance may not be added to any other discount or allowance.
Volume Discount: Not applicable
Licensed Program Materials Availability
- Restricted Materials: No. This licensed program will be available without source licensed program materials. It will be available in object code.
10/Flex Pricing: With the introduction of the TME 10 products, IBM is also introducing a new and exciting method of pricing, called 10/Flex. 10/Flex charges, which are use-based, are designed to give the customer the ultimate in simplicity and selectivity, which is essential in a dynamic and growing distributed network environment. 10/Flex's important characteristics are:
- Installation Flexibility: Since the 10/Flex license is not tied to a specific machine serial number or to a machine type, the customer is free to move or copy the code to any machine in the network as conditions and workloads change, up to the limit of the features acquired.
- Simplicity and Predictability: Customers pay a flat use-based charge once per product at the initiation of the license. The customer may then install the components of the product as many times as needed, up to the limit of the number of features acquired, without additional charge or without notifying IBM. TME 10 Inventory uses the customer's network size as the basis for computing 10/Flex charges.
- Easy Maintenance and Support Options: Product maintenance, help
desk support, and follow-on releases are also simply priced as a
percentage of the customer's license charge, with two easily
- Standard, which provides customer support during normal business hours.
- Extended, which provides support 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
An example will illustrate the simplicity. Suppose a customer has a network of 10 servers and 500 clients, and desires to install TME 10 Inventory support for all servers, but only for 300 of the clients. For the TME 10 Inventory product, 5697-INV, the total license charge would be 10 times the charge of per server of 5697-INV, plus 300 times the charge per client of 5697-INV.
Note: The TME 10 Framework, 5697-FRA, is a technical prerequisite for each server or client using this component. In this illustration, therefore, the charge for the TME 10 Framework would be 10 times the charge of per server of 5697-FRA, plus 300 times the charge per client of 5697-FRA. This charge is in addition to the charges for TME 10 Inventory in the preceding paragraph.
Since the kind of machine on which the code runs, or its specific serial number, is NOT relevant, the customer has the flexibility to move the code among any system, up to the limit of the number of server and client features acquired for each product. If the customer acquires more features than there are servers and/or clients physically installed, the customer has room to expand the network without incurring additional charges.
Servers and clients are defined in the context of a distributed environment. A server is a computer whose principal purpose is to provide data and/or services to other computing systems. Some types of servers are database servers, application servers, file servers, print servers, communication servers, and Internet servers. A client is computer that uses the data or services from one or more servers. A computer is designated as either a server or a client, depending on its predominant use. Computers containing more than one processor (that is, multi-processing systems) are counted as either one server or one client. For clustered systems (for example, SP2(R)), each instance of the operating system (for example, UNIX) is counted as either one server or one client.
TME 10 Inventory and its components may be copied to additional machines, up to the limit of the features ordered, at no charge without notifying IBM. Charges apply only to the features ordered -- one per each managed server and managed client. Features may not be transferred among products. There are two ways to order products and their features:
- A single copy of TME 10 Inventory may be ordered and replicated as necessary. Sufficient features would be ordered on this license to support all managed servers and managed clients across all replicated copies of that product.
- Multiple copies of TME 10 Inventory may be ordered with each one including the appropriate number of features to support ONLY those servers and clients managed by that copy of the product.
10/Flex 10/Flex Charge Charge per Managed per Managed Client Product Product Server (Qty 1) (Qty 250) Number Name Feature Charge Feature Charge Feature Charge
5697- TME 10 INV Inven- tory 0001 $2,000 0002 $75 0252 $18,750
Standard Annual Maintenance and Support Option: The following support will be provided at no charge for a period of 12 months after the initial delivery of TME 10 Inventory, and thereafter, if the customer subscribes to the Standard Annual Maintenance and Support Option:
- Corrections (PTFs) which fix substantial deviations of unmodified TME 10 products from the then current code, publications, and/or informal documentation (that is, release notes and memos);
- Software Product Updates which are improvements, extensions, and other changes, which IBM, at its discretion, deems to be reasonable;
- Technical Support which provides support via telephone, fax, and e-mail during normal IBM business hours in the customer's locality from Monday through Friday, except local holidays, and which supplies workarounds for problems (where known), answers questions, and provides patches where they exist, and supplies to the customer a reasonable amount of assistance by mail or telephone in the event of difficulties in the use of, or the interpretation of results from, a TME 10 product.
The 10/Flex charges for the Annual Standard Maintenance and Support Option are shown in Tables 3 and 4 respectively. Customers will be notified by IBM prior to the expiration of the first year of the license that the initial no charge maintenance support period will end. If the customer chooses to purchase this option for the second year, an MES must be entered by the local IBM office for TME 10 Inventory's 10/Flex charges, using the corresponding feature codes shown in Table 3 below. After an MES is entered, the charges will automatically renew annually, unless canceled by the customer.
Extended Annual Maintenance and Support Option: This option includes and extends the maintenance services provided in Standard Annual Maintenance and Support Option to include Technical Support via telephone 7 days per week, 24 hours per day. When a customer is notified about the pending termination of the initial no charge maintenance period, the customer may choose to purchase this option for subsequent years. An MES must be entered by the local IBM office for the TME 10 Inventory's 10/Flex charges, using the corresponding feature codes shown in Table 4 below. After an MES is entered, the charges will automatically renew annually, unless canceled by the customer.
The customer may choose to upgrade to this option during the first year of the license, or in subsequent years if the Standard Annual Maintenance and Support Option has previously been ordered. The upgrade 10/Flex charges and upgrade features codes are shown in Table 5. These charges may be entered on the initial order, or later via MES.
Note: Neither the Standard Maintenance Option, nor the Extended Maintenance Option, are transferable among products. Each product must be individually licensed if a maintenance option is desired.
Table 3: TME 10/Flex Optional Annual Standard Maintenance and Support Charges
Standard Standard Annual Annual Support Support Charge* Charge* per Managed per Managed Client Product Product Server (Qty 1) (Qty 250) Number Name Feature Charge Feature Charge Feature Charge
5697- TME 10 INV Inven- tory 0003 $300 0004 $11 0254 $2,750
* Included at no charge during the first year of the license.
Table 4: TME 10/Flex Optional Annual Extended Maintenance and Support Charges
10/Flex 10/Flex Extended Extended (7x24) (7x24) Annual Annual Support Support Charge Charge per Managed per Managed Client Product Product Server (Qty 1) (Qty 250) Number Name Feature Charge Feature Charge Feature Charge
5697- TME 10 INV Inven- tory 0005 $400 0006 $15 0256 $3,750
Table 5: TME 10/Flex Extended Maintenance and Support Upgrade Charges
Extended Extended Support Support Upgrade Upgrade per Managed per Managed Client Product Product Server (Qty 1) (Qty 250) Number Name Feature Charge Feature Charge Feature Charge
5697- TME 10 INV Inven- tory 0007 $100 0008 $4 0258 $1,000
10/Flex Charge: Customers who pay a 10/Flex charge for a licensed program, and have currently subscribed to a maintenance and support feature, or are in the initial 12 months service period, receive enhancements and future releases, if any, at no additional charge. Significant new function may be offered as an optional feature and charged for separately. If a replacement program is announced and the customer elects to license the replacement program for a one-time charge and replace the prior program, an upgrade charge may apply.
Program Upgrade Charge: A customer may upgrade to a TME 10 product offering under the following conditions:
- Software Advantage: If the customer is a licensed user of the IBM Software Advantage for Workstations, 5803-AAR, for the products noted in Table 6 below, the customer may upgrade to TME 10 Inventory at no charge. Specify the upgrade feature code from Table 6 below.
- Workstation Products: If a customer is a licensed user of any of the workstation products shown in Table 7 below, the customer may upgrade to TME 10 Inventory for a reduced charge. Prior to November 30, 1996, the customer may upgrade at no charge when the customer orders either TME 10 Maintenance and Support feature. Specify the upgrade feature code from Table 7 below. After November 30, 1996, the customer may upgrade for a reduced charge, and the customer is not required to also order a maintenance and support feature. Specify the upgrade feature code from Table 8 below.
Table 6: Upgrading Software Advantage
Upgrading From Program Upgrading to Upgrade Software Number TME 10 Product Feature Advantage (Features) (Feature): Number Charge
NetFinity Manager 5803-AAR TME 10 Inventory 0600 $0 V4 50H0809 (0199) 5697-INV (0001) 52H3854 (0237) 62H6821 (0239)
NetFinity Services 5803-AAR TME 10 Inventory 0601 0 V4 52H3855 (0238) 5697-INV (0002) (Clients) 52H3854 (0237) Clients, Qty 1 62H6822 (0240)
Table 7: Before November 30, 1996, Upgrading from Workstation Products
Upgrading to Upgrade Upgrading Part TME 10 Product Feature From: Number (Feature): Qty Number Charge
NetFinity Manager 78H5375 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 $0 V4 78H4902 5697-INV (0001) 1 78H4903 5 78H4904 10 78H4905 50 78H4906 Specify
NetFinity Manager 41H6272 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 0 V3 41H6399 5697-INV (0001) 1 41H6400 1 Upgrading to Upgrade Upgrading Part TME 10 Product Feature From: Number (Feature): Qty Number Charge
NetFinity Services 78H5376 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 $0 V4 78H4913 5697-INV (0002) 1 (Clients) 78H4914 Clients, Qty 1 5 78H4915 10 78H4916 50 78H4917 Specify
NetFinity Services 41H6273 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 0 V3 41H6403 5697-INV (0002) 25 (Clients) 41H6404 Clients, Qty 1 50 41H6405 100 41H6410 25 41H6411 50 41H6412 100
NetFinity Services 41H6406 TME 10 Inventory 1 0604 0 V3 41H6407 5697-INV (0252) 2 (Clients) 41H6408 Clients, Qty 250 4 41H6409 10 41H6413 1 41H6414 2 41H6415 4 41H6416 10
Table 8: After November 30, 1996, Upgrading from Workstation Products
Upgrading to Upgrade Upgrading Part TME 10 Product Feature From: Number (Feature): Qty Number Charge
NetFinity Manager 78H5375 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 $1,000 V4 78H4902 5697-INV (0001) 1 78H4903 5 78H4904 10 78H4905 50 78H4906 Specify
NetFinity Manager 41H6272 TME 10 Inventory 1 0602 1,000 V3 41H6399 5697-INV (0001) 1 41H6400 1
NetFinity Services 78H5376 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 38 V4 78H4913 5697-INV (0002) 1 (Clients) 78H4914 Clients, Qty 1 5 78H4915 10 78H4916 50 78H4917 Specify
NetFinity Services 41H6273 TME 10 Inventory 1 0603 38 V3 41H6403 5697-INV (0002) 25 (Clients) 41H6404 Clients, Qty 1 50 41H6405 100 41H6410 25 41H6411 50 41H6412 100
NetFinity Services 41H6406 TME 10 Inventory 1 0604 9,500 V3 41H6407 5697-INV (0252) 2 (Clients) 41H6408 Clients, Qty 250 4 41H6409 10 41H6413 1 41H6414 2 41H6415 4 41H6416 10
(R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both. (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both. (1) Registered trademark in the United States and other countries licensed exclusively through X/Open Company Limited. + Registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation
Other trademarks and registered trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.