IBM Defense Operations Platform V1.0 provides a prebuilt, rapidly deployable mission creation and execution environmentIBM United States Software Announcement 211-241
July 12, 2011
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Defense Operations Platform offers:
- Rapid onboarding of mission capabilities - IBM Defense Operations Platform is optimized for the creation and deployment of mission capabilities. Onboarding times have been reduced from months to weeks or days.
- Rapid implementation - IBM Defense Operations Platform provides for automated deployment of a complete mission environment. It is designed to enable a rapid mission ramp-up and an increased operations tempo.
- Modular design - IBM Defense Operations Platform is interoperable, modular, and scalable, enabling clients to adopt just the right amount of the provided capability.
- Enablement of common defense enterprise services - Many NATO and US Department of Defense Core Enterprise Services are enabled by IBM Defense Operations Platform's interoperability standards, for example, chat, mission thread monitoring, mission capability discovery, and synchronization of remote units. In some cases these interoperability interfaces require defense agency provided Application Programming Interfaces.
- Durability, security, and maintainability - IBM Defense Operations Platform assists in achieving data durability, security, and maintainability requirements of a defense enterprise.
- Mission creation - IBM Defense Operations Platform provides a Mission Services Workbench for the creation and deployment of mission services. The workbench deploys to the IBM Defense Operations Platform synchronized run-time editions.
- Deployment editions - IBM Defense Operations Platform deployment editions are run-times that range from large, fixed data centers to lighter, deployable command posts and personal soldier platforms that operate at the edge of the battlefield.
- Hardware virtualization - IBM Defense Operations Platform provides a hardware virtualization layer enabling deployment on a variety of client-chosen vendor platforms.
Back to top
Armed forces around the world are challenged to adapt to an increasingly dynamic and complex operational environment. This requires preparation to defend against a wide range of threats and utilization of the newest and most-efficient technologies available. With the pace of threats increasing, defense agencies must quickly bring mission capabilities to bear. No longer can defense agencies afford the time or expense that is entailed with fabricating mission solutions from scratch. The importance of a ready-made mission capability deployment environment is understood by today's commanders.
Seamless cooperation, information exchange, interoperability, and rapid synchronization are keys to successful operations, whether on national or multinational levels. Consequently, information requirements and the volume of information available to support military operations have grown substantially. However, there are certain limitations to utilizing information streams. The technical capabilities to share information across branches and coalition partners have not kept pace with changes in the environment. An environment that eases these coalition interoperability barriers is required.
IBM Defense Operations Platform delivers the capability to rapidly deploy missions, from high echelon command centers to the edge of the battlefield. IBM Defense Operations Platform is built on IBM software and consists of four editions:
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Command Center® Edition
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Field Edition
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Mobile Edition
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Workbench Edition
IBM Defense Operations Platform is a truly unique mission platform. It provides an integrated environment to build, deploy, and synchronize mission capabilities. By providing a prefabricated mission deployment environment, IBM is speeding the delivery of mission capability to the warfighter. By using an open standards basis, IBM Defense Operations Platform also eases interoperability concerns amongst warfighting units and coalition partners. Many NATO and US Department of Defense Core Enterprise Services are enabled by IBM Defense Operations Platform's interoperability standards, for example, chat, mission thread monitoring, mission capability discovery, and synchronization of remote units. In some cases these interoperability interfaces require defense agency provided Application Programming Interfaces.
IBM Defense Operations Platform, an integrated platform subjected to product testing rigor and quality assurance, is designed to lower maintenance effort and costs. Platform updates, refreshes, and patches undergo similar testing rigor before being deployed.
IBM Defense Operations Platform provides a common mission execution environment to enable defense clients and systems integrators to rapidly onboard mission capability and to address emerging threats.
Back to top
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
July 15, 2011: Media available
Back to top
The IBM Defense Operations Platform provides a common, reusable, and interoperable software platform to enable defense customers and systems integrators to rapidly architect, design, develop, test, deploy, and monitor new mission services and applications. IBM Defense Operations Platform includes several editions.
Command Center Edition
The Command Center Edition is optimized for fixed locations. It serves as the master mission deployment, or run-time, environment. Because warfighters are often required to work in geographically dispersed areas or with small infrastructure footprints, Defense Operations Platform offers three run-time options. The Command Center is the largest of the three mission execution environments and synchronizes the Field and Mobile Editions.
The Command Center provides the deployment environment for end-user mission capabilities and machine-executed mission capabilities, via user interface (UI) or transaction services. This mission execution environment supports a variety of computing models, for example, messaging and web services. Additionally, the Command Center comes with an option to add a cyber threat detection appliance that provides extensive monitoring and management capabilities to ensure mission continuity.
Field and Mobile Editions
Field and Mobile Editions are stand-alone synchronizable devices designed for rapid startup and capable of operating independently for long periods of time, exchanging data with other editions as possible. These editions support mobile users such as commanders who require availability of the most critical services even with no network connection.
The Field Edition is typically deployed on a single server and is used in mobile command posts. The Mobile Edition is optimized for a very small footprint used by a single soldier. Both Field and Mobile editions synchronize with the Command Center editions bidirectionally. Command Center, Field, and Mobile editions are optimized to allow for a common picture across the warfighting environment.
Field and Mobile Editions require the Command Center Edition.
The workbench is a set of linked tools to architect, engineer, implement, build, test, and deploy mission capabilities. With the tooling and documentation the workbench provides a coherent development pipeline, with examples, to facilitate the rapid creation and onboarding of mission capabilities.
Workbench Edition requires the Command Center Edition.
The Defense Operations Platform Field and Mobile Editions support several application pattern types:
- Browser user interface -- A web application interface allows presentation of specific user interfaces using generated scripting language such as HTML, which is rendered for display by a browser.
- Rich client application interface -- An Eclipse based-interface allows aggregation of display components into views, and views into perspectives. Applications are defined using extension points to define the actions, views, and perspectives to provide the user interface.
- Portlet based user interface -- A portlet pattern is supported by the Portlet Application Model, which supports the JSR 168 Portlet standard.
- Composite application pattern -- Multiple applications cooperate using intercomponent communications. For example, the Property Broker can communicate among portlets and/or Eclipse applications running in the same client process.
IBM Defense Operations Platform editions provide flexible capabilities that can be mapped to many different defense architectures:
- Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) provides the ability to route and transport service requests from the service requester to the correct service provider. The true value of the ESB concept is to enable the infrastructure for SOA and messaging in a way to reflect your enterprise needs today to provide suitable service levels and manageability for operating and integrating within a heterogeneous environment.
- Service discovery provides details of services available to Defense Operations Platform. This component responds to one of the primary goals of service discovery: to publish the availability of services and encourage reuse across the development activity of an enterprise.
- Security primarily addresses authentication, authorization, and auditing. These security capabilities can be leveraged by other capabilities to enable more secure applications and services.
- Cyber security is designed to provide a basic level of Cyber-Hygiene. These capabilities can be enhanced via postinstallation client-specific configuration updates and the addition of a cyber threat detection appliance.
- Orchestration and choreography enable applications to leverage event-driven, rule-based engines to support long-running processes.
- Collaboration enables users to maintain presence and awareness of other Defense Operations Platform collaboration users and leverage instant-messaging-based communications.
- Information management extends beyond standard database operations. A key feature of the Defense Operations Platform is the implementation of data replication. Data replication capabilities are available to clients and systems integrators alike. From a user perspective, these data replication capabilities are transparent. Data and transactional synchronization provides the base capability to enable warfighters to see a common operational picture.
- Enterprise Service Management (ESM) is woven throughout Defense Operations Platform. These capabilities provide a view to understand the health of many of the platform components. The visibility provided by the ESM capabilities ranges from the health of the hardware to the software components provided. A basic level of configuration is available at installation. These configurations and capabilities can be enhanced via additional postinstallation client-specific configuration.
Back to top
Program Program number VRM name 5725-C14 1.0 IBM Defense Operations Platform
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information website
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® website
Back to top
The following documents are delivered with Defense Operations Platform:
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Owner's Manual
- IBM Defense Operations Platform Workbench Edition Handbook
Back to top
Specified operating environment
VMware environment required to host Defense Operations Platform deployments of the Command Center Edition and the Field Edition: VMware vCenter Server v4.0.0 with VSphere Client v4.0.0
Supported web browsers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or 8.0
- Firefox V3.0 or V3.5
Note: Some browsers may require a Java plug-in to be installed when accessing administrative web pages in Defense Operations Platform.
VMware server requirements to support Defense Operations Platform:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4
- Microsoft Windows 2003 EE Server 32- bit
- Windows XP 32-bit
- Administrator log-on for the VMware ESX cluster
Note: The VMware vSphere client and documentation are available for download from the vCenter web page.
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
The following items are provided:
- Defense Operations Platform V1.0 USB hard drive
- Defense Operations Platform V1.0 Licenses
- Defense Operations Platform Command Center Edition - L-AMGN-8G3EPH
- Defense Operations Platform Field Edition - L-AMGN-8FWHGN
- Defense Operations Platform Mobile Edition - L-AMGN-8FWGRC
- Defense Operations Platform Workbench Edition- L-AMGN-8FWJSL
- Defense Operations Platform V1.0 Quick Start DVD
- Defense Operations Platform V1.0 Quick Start manual
- Defense Operations Platform V1.0 Documentation DVD
This program, when downloaded from a website, contains the applicable IBM license agreement and License Information, if appropriate, which will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. For future reference, the license and License Information will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
This product is available only via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product group: Industry Solutions Product Identifier Description (PID) IBM Defense Operations Platform 5725-C14 Product category: Defense Operations Platform
Program name PID number Charge metric IBM Defense Operations Platform 5725-C14 Authorized User User Value Unit
Authorized User is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. An Authorized User is a unique person who is given access to the Program. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers and each Authorized User may have simultaneous access to any number of instances of the Program at one time. Licensee must obtain separate, dedicated entitlements for each Authorized User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means. An entitlement for an Authorized User is unique to that Authorized User and may not be shared, nor may it be reassigned other than for the permanent transfer of the Authorized User entitlement to another person.
Note: Some programs may be licensed where devices are considered users. In that case the following applies: Any computing device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from the Program or that is otherwise managed by the Program is considered a separate User of the Program and requires an entitlement as if that device were a person.
User Value Unit
User Value Unit (UVU) is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. UVU Proofs of Entitlement are based on the number and type of Users for the given Program. Licensee must obtain sufficient entitlements for the number of UVUs required for Licensee's environment as specified in the table below. The UVU entitlements are specific to the Program and type of user and may not be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with UVU entitlements of another program or type of user. Refer to the program-specific User Value Unit table.
IBM Defense Operations Platform
Part Program name/Description number IBM Defense Operations Platform Command Center Edition User Value Unit License + SW subscription and support 12 mo D0L02LL Annual SW subscription and support renewal 12 mo E0CNWLL SW subscription and support reinstatement 12 mo D0L03LL IBM Defense Operations Platform Workbench Edition Per Authorized User License + SW subscription and support 12 mo D0IXQLL Annual SW subscription and support renewal 12 mo E0BURLL SW subscription and support reinstatement 12 mo D0IXRLL IBM Defense Operations Platform Field Edition User Value Unit License + SW subscription and support 12 mo D0L00LL Annual SW subscription and support renewal 12 mo E0CNVLL SW subscription and support reinstatement 12 mo D0L01LL IBM Defense Operations Platform Mobile Edition Per Authorized User License + SW subscription and support 12 mo D0IXSLL Annual SW subscription and support renewal 12 mo E0BUSLL SW subscription and support reinstatement 12 mo D0IXTLL
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Media packs description Part number IBM Defense Operations Platform V1.0 AF0CBEN English
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
L-AMGN-8G3EPH IBM Defense Operations Platform Command Center Edition
L-AMGN-8FWHGN IBM Defense Operations Platform Field Edition
L-AMGN-8FWGRC IBM Defense Operations Platform Mobile Edition
L-AMGN-8FWJSL IBM Defense Operations Platform Workbench Edition
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement website
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
Program technical support
Technical support of a program product version or release will be available for a minimum of two years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) also provides you with access to updates (modifications or fixes), releases, and versions of the program. You will be notified, via letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Volume orders (IVO)
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage website at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express®. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short-duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under the applicable agreements.
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage website at
IBM Operational Support Services - SoftwareXcel
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
For all local charges, contact your IBM representative.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing from IBM Global Financing helps you preserve cash and credit lines, enables more technology acquisition within current budget limits, permits accelerated implementation of economically attractive new technologies, offers payment and term flexibility, and can help match project costs to projected benefits. Financing is available worldwide for credit-qualified customers.
IBM, Command Center, Passport Advantage and Express are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page