IBM CloudBurst V2.1 on Power Systems helps IT organizations rapidly provide dynamic cloud servicesIBM United States Software Announcement 210-383
October 12, 2010
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® CloudBurst on Power Systems is a prepackaged and self-contained service delivery platform that can be implemented in a data center environment. It delivers with virtually everything you need for a cloud environment, including Tivoli® service management software, storage, network, Power Systems servers, and QuickStart services, all in an effort to help you realize the robust benefits of cloud computing.
For ordering, contact your IBM representative, or IBM Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (Reference: RE001).
Back to top
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 on Power Systems is a solution for customers looking for help to drive down costs and accelerate time to market for the business by automating the delivery of business services.
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems is a prepackaged and self-contained service delivery platform that can be implemented in a data center in an effort to help accelerate and simplify your cloud computing acquisition and deployment, including both the cloud management infrastructure and the cloud resources to be provisioned. It is a solution with a high degree of integration, flexibility, and resource optimization, providing an enhanced request-driven user experience. Now available on the IBM Power Systems platform, it offers a choice in hardware platform and extends the types of workloads supported to include those running on the IBM AIX® operating system.
IBM Power Systems is ideally suited for cloud environments; its leadership virtualization, enterprise-level security, higher performance, and elastic scalability provides the enterprise quality of service characteristics needed to support mission-critical workloads in a private cloud environment. Through this solution, you can couple all the benefits of Power Systems with Tivoli service management capabilities, such as seamless self-service and automated provisioning, to deliver an integrated private cloud environment ready for your mission-critical workloads. The IBM CloudBurst solution on Power Systems provides virtually everything you need for a cloud environment, including Tivoli service management software, storage, network, QuickStart services, and the most efficient platform for cloud computing with Power Systems.
IBM Cloudburst on Power Systems can help organizations realize the benefits of a cloud computing model, in an effort to help improve customer satisfaction, accelerate service delivery, and quickly respond to the changing needs of the business.
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems provides preinstalled capabilities which are essential to a cloud service delivery model, including:
- A self-service portal interface for advance reservation of computing, storage, and networking resources, including virtualized resources
- Automated management, provisioning, and optimization of both physical and virtual servers as well as system pools ensure that your cloud resources are automatically provisioned and de-provisioned for optimal utilization
- Prepackaged automation templates and workflows for most common resource types
- Real-time monitoring of physical and virtual cloud resources
- Integrated usage and accounting chargeback capabilities can help system administrators to help, track, and optimize system usage.
- Storage virtualization to improve efficient use of storage and control growth
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 for System x® has new charge options.
Back to top
Refer to the Software requirements section.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
December 17, 2010
Back to top
IBM Cloudburst on Power Systems helps to expand existing core service management capabilities into enterprise clouds supporting deployment of mission-critical workloads. They include:
- Self-service and service automation:
- Isolation capabilities of environments through supporting multiple Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) and pooling of subnets.
- Ability to select additional software to be installed on the image to be deployed in an effort to provide more flexibility.
- Change service requests before and after deployment to modify allocations for CPU, memory, disk space, and reservation of an already reserved project in an effort to better utilize the cloud and respond to changing users needs.
- Integration with IBM Change and Configuration Management to allow for change-driven deployments.
- Integrated monitoring and management of IT resources for problem resolution.
- Usage and accounting capabilities that can help enable chargeback for cloud services to optimize system usage.
- Enables the creation of resource usage and accounting data that helps allow for tracking, planning, budgeting, and chargeback of system resource usage.
- High availability configuration to help protect against unplanned outages and can help simplify virtual machine mobility during planned changes.
- Energy management that helps with monitoring and management of energy usage of IT and facility resources, which can assist with efforts to optimize energy consumption for higher efficiency of resources, all in an effort to help lower operating costs.
- Ability to manage other heterogeneous resources outside of the IBM CloudBurst environment (requires purchase of additional licenses).
- Storage virtualization in an effort to help increase management efficiency and utilization of heterogeneous storage assets. This feature allows you to deploy not only virtualized servers, but the necessary storage for a virtualized server regardless of the brand or type of storage.
- Single contact and support point for problem resolution.
- Automated management, provisioning, and optimization of both physical and virtual servers as well as system pools to help ensure that your cloud resources are automatically provisioned for optimal utilization.
- Global Technology Services (GTS) implementation services, which can help to ensure that a complete package of hardware and software is operational right away in your environment.
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems is an important component of IBM's Smarter Planet initiative and includes capabilities needed to implement dynamic cloud services.
In an effort to help improve service and reduce costs, IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems provides an easy way to order, implement, and use the product and its functions.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems is capable, when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it.
Back to top
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems provides one entry point for automating the management of virtual environments and building a dynamic service delivery model. It consists of pre-integrated hardware, software, and services that help enable the rapid deployment of a cloud computing infrastructure.
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems:
- Includes a hardware foundation based on IBM Power Systems hardware, Tivoli Service Software, and GTS QuickStart services
- Provides self-contained management designed for managing and automating the delivery of cloud services
- Is designed for quick deployment of a turn-key cloud infrastructure
Some of the challenges addressed by IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems:
- Business pains
- Increased pressure to cut operating capital expenses and contribute more to the business.
- Increased pressure to speed cycles of innovation to be more competitive.
- Lack of qualified IT resources.
- Inflexible systems that do not change with the business.
- Merging acquired resources and assets with existing IT infrastructure.
- IT pains
- Deal with IT budgets that are frozen or shrinking, and resource utilization and labor costs that are under scrutiny.
- Increased complexity of IT environments.
- Maintaining quality of service with reduced budgets.
Back to top
Program Program number name 5725-B28 IBM CloudBurst for Power® Systems 5724-Y70 IBM CloudBurst for System x
Back to top
Comprehensive education for IBM Tivoli products is offered through Worldwide Tivoli Education Delivery Services. A wide range of training options are available, including classes led by instructors, learning on demand, on-site training, and blended learning solutions.
For additional information, visit
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information website
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® website
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
For additional information, refer to Terms and conditions section of this announcement, or to the License Information document that is available on the IBM Software License Agreement website
Direct customer support
For technical support or assistance, contact your IBM representative or visit
Security, auditability, and control
IBM CloudBurst uses the security and audibility features of the operating system software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
|Licensing metric definitions and pricing examples|
Licensing metric definitions
Processor Value Unit (PVU)
Processor Value Unit (PVU) is a unit of measure by which the program can be licensed. The number of PVU entitlements required is based on the processor technology - defined within the PVU Table by Processor Vendor, Brand, Type and Model number at
and the number of processors made available to the program. IBM continues to define a processor, for the purpose of PVU-based licensing, to be each processor core on a chip. For example, a dual-core processor chip has two processor cores. Licensee can deploy the program using either Full Capacity licensing or Virtualization Capacity (Sub-Capacity) licensing according to the Passport Advantage Sub-Capacity Licensing Terms (refer to website below). If using Full Capacity licensing, Licensee must obtain PVU entitlements sufficient to cover all activated processor cores1 in the physical hardware environment made available to or managed by the program, except for those servers from which the program has been permanently removed. If using Virtualization Capacity licensing, Licensee must obtain entitlements sufficient to cover all activated processor cores made available to or managed by the program, as defined according to the Virtualization Capacity License Counting Rules at
- http://www.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/Counting_Soft ware_licenses_using_specific_virtualization_technologies.html
1 An Activated processor core is a processor core that is available for use in a physical or virtual server, regardless of whether the capacity of the processor core can be or is limited through virtualization technologies, operating system commands, BIOS settings, or similar restrictions.
Note: Instead of the entitlements required for the program directly, Licensee must obtain PVU entitlements for this program sufficient to cover the processor cores managed by the program.
Standby or backup systems
For programs running or resident on backup machines, IBM defines three types of situations: cold, warm and hot. In cold and warm situations, a separate entitlement for the copy on the backup machine is normally not required and typically no additional charge applies. In a hot backup situation, the customer needs to acquire other licenses or entitlements sufficient for that server. All programs running in backup mode must be solely under the customer's control, even if running at another enterprise's location.
As a practice, the following are definitions and allowable actions concerning the copy of the program used for backup purposes:
- Cold: A copy of the program may reside, for backup purposes, on a machine as long as the program is not started. There is no additional charge for this copy.
- Warm: A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine and is started, but is idling, and is not doing any work of any kind. There is no additional charge for this copy.
- Hot: A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine, is started, and is doing work. The customer must acquire a license or entitlement for this copy and there will generally be an additional charge.
Doing work includes production, development, program maintenance, and testing. It also could include other activities such as mirroring of transactions, updating of files, synchronization of programs, data, or other resources (for example, active linking with another machine, program, database, or other resource, and so on), or any activity or configurations that would allow an active hot switch or other synchronized switch-over between programs, databases, or other resources to occur.
In the case of a program or system configuration that is designed to support a high availability environment by using various techniques (for example, duplexing, mirroring of files or transactions, maintaining a heartbeat, active linking with another machine, program, database, or other resource,), the program is considered to be doing work in the hot situation and a license or entitlement must be purchased.
Through the Passport Advantage Agreement, you may receive discounted pricing based on their total volume of eligible products, across all IBM brands, acquired worldwide. The volume is measured by determining the total Passport Advantage points value of the applicable acquisitions. Passport Advantage points are only used for calculating the Entitled Passport Advantage discount.
To determine the required IBM Tivoli product configuration under Passport Advantage, the IBM Tivoli Enhanced Value-Based Pricing Model applies. The customer's environment is evaluated on a per-product basis.
Use the following two-step process to determine the total Passport Advantage points value:
- Analyze your environment to determine the number of charge units for a product. The quantity of each product's part numbers to be ordered is determine by that analysis.
- Order the Passport Advantage part numbers. A Passport Advantage point value, which is the same worldwide for a specific part number regardless of where the order is placed, is assigned to each IBM Tivoli product part number. The Passport Advantage point value for the applicable part number, multiplied by the quantity for that part number, will determine the Passport Advantage points for that IBM Tivoli product part number. The sum of these Passport Advantage points determines the Passport Advantage point value of the applicable IBM Tivoli product authorizations which then may be aggregated with the point value of other applicable Passport Advantage product acquisitions to determine the total Passport Advantage points value.
The discounted pricing available through Passport Advantage is expressed in the form of Suggested Volume Prices (SVPs), which vary depending on the SVP level. Each SVP level is assigned a minimum total Passport Advantage point value, which must be achieved, in order to qualify for that SVP level.
Media packs and documentation packs do not carry Passport Advantage points and are not eligible for SVP discounting.
For additional information on Passport Advantage, refer to the following
The following Passport Advantage part number categories may be orderable:
- License and Software Maintenance 12 Months: This is the product authorization with maintenance to the first anniversary date.
- Annual Software Maintenance Renewal: This is the maintenance renewal for one anniversary that applies when a customer renews their existing coverage period prior to the anniversary date at which it expires.
- Software Maintenance Reinstatement 12 months: This is for customers who have allowed their Software Maintenance to expire, and later wish to reinstate their Software Maintenance.
- Media packs: These are the physical media, such as CD-ROMs, that deliver the product's code.
- Documentation packs: These contain printed documentation such as the User's Guide and Release Notes.
Back to top
|Pricing examples for IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems|
IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems is a combination of IBM hardware, software, and services. The minimum IBM CloudBurst configuration consists of one IBM Power 750 server, one Hardware Management Console, one IBM SystemS Storage DS5020, IBM CloudBurst software, and QuickStart Implementation services. IBM CloudBurst software can only be entitled when configured with the applicable IBM CloudBurst hardware. Entitlement of the IBM CloudBurst software is based on processor cores being managed within the IBM CloudBurst on Power environment. Entitlement for IBM CloudBurst software is based on the Processor Value Units of the managed IBM Power Systems servers.
The customer has the IBM CloudBurst hardware configured with one IBM Power 750 server. The customer will require the following entitlements for the IBM CloudBurst software:
IBM Number of Number of Total number CloudBurst cores per servers of core hardware IBM Power entitlements 750 Server required 32 1 32
The customer who purchased the IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems solution configured with one IBM Power 750 server now adds two additional IBM Power 750 servers to the IBM CloudBurst configuration. The customer will require the following entitlements for IBM CloudBurst software in addition to the requirements above in scenario 1:
IBM CloudBurst Number of Number of Total number hardware cores per additional of core IBM Power servers entitlements 750 Server required 32 2 64
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product group: Tivoli IT Service Management
Product Identifier Description (PID) IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems 5725-B28 IBM CloudBurst for System x 5724-Y70 Product category: Tivoli Service Automation Manager
Orders for new licenses will be accepted now.
Shipment will begin on the planned availability date.
Ordering information for Passport Advantage
Passport Advantage allows you to have a common anniversary date for Software Maintenance renewals, which can simplify management and budgeting for eligible new versions and releases (and related technical support) for your covered products. The anniversary date, established at the start of your Passport Advantage Agreement, will remain unchanged while your Passport Advantage Agreement remains in effect. New software purchases will initially include twelve full months of Software Maintenance. Software Maintenance in the second year (the first year of renewal) can be prorated to be coterminous with your common anniversary date. Thereafter, all Software Maintenance will renew at the common anniversary date for twelve full months of maintenance.
Refer to the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement and to the IBM Software Support Handbook for specific terms relating to, and a more complete description of, technical support provided through Software Maintenance.
For IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems the quantity to be specified for the Passport Advantage part numbers in the following table is per required number of Processor Value Units. To order IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems part numbers in Passport Advantage, specify the desired part number and quantity.
Description Part number IBM Cloudburst on Power Systems Base 10 PVU D0DFQLL Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM Cloudburst on Power Systems Base 10 PVU E090DLL Annual SW S&S Rnwl IBM Cloudburst on Power Systems Base 10 PVU D0DFRLL SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo IBM Cloudburst Power Systems Additional D0DFSLL Unit 10 PVU Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM Cloudburst Power Systems Additional E090ELL Unit 10 PVU Annual SW S&S Rnwl IBM Cloudburst Power Systems Additional D0DFTLL Unit 10 PVU SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo
The following IBM CloudBurst for System x charge options to be specified for the Passport Advantage part in the following table are per required number of Processor Value Units. To order IBM CloudBurst on System x subscription and support part numbers in Passport Advantage, specify the desired part number and quantity.
Description Part number IBM Cloudburst on System X Base 10 PVU D0GKMLL Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM Cloudburst on System X Base 10 PVU E0AP8LL Annual SW S&S Rnwl IBM Cloudburst on System X Base 10 PVU D0GKPLL SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo IBM Cloudburst on System X Additional D0GMSLL Additional Unit 10 PVU Lic + SW S&S IBM Cloudburst on System X Additional E0AQ2LL Unit 10 PVU Annual SW S&S Rnwl IBM Cloudburst on System X Additional D0GMTLL Additional Unit 10 PVU SW S&S Reinstate 12 Mo
Subscription and Support
Subscription and Support must be ordered to receive voice technical support via telephone during normal business hours, and future releases and versions, at no additional charge. The capacity of Subscription and Support (for example, Value Units or number of processors) must be the same as the capacity ordered for the product licenses.
To order, specify the Subscription and Support program product number and the appropriate license or charge option.
IBM is also providing Subscription and Support for these products, via a separately purchased offering, under the terms of the IBM International Agreement for Acquisition of Support Maintenance (IAASM). This offering:
- Includes and extends the support services provided in the base support to include technical support via telephone during normal business hours.
- Entitles customers to future releases and versions, at no additional charge. Note that the customer is not entitled to new products.
When Subscription and Support is ordered, the charges will automatically renew annually unless cancelled by the customer.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
- IBM CloudBurst on Power Systems license information form number L-DGII-89JT33.
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement website
Limited warranty applies
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Volume orders (IVO)
IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage website at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express®. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under the applicable agreements.
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage website at
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
For Passport Advantage and charges, contact your IBM representative. Additional information is also available at
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers or your local IBM representative.
To identify your local IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) For IBM representative: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Power Systems, Smarter Planet and Electronic Service Agent are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Tivoli, AIX, System x, Power, Passport Advantage, Express and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page