IBM CloudBurst V2.1 helps IT organizations provide dynamic cloud servicesIBM United States Software Announcement 210-322
August 31, 2010
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® CloudBurst V2.1:
- Is a prepackaged and self-contained service delivery platform that can be implemented in a data center environment.
- Delivers vital functions needed for a cloud environment including Tivoli® service management software, storage, network, the computing platform and QuickStart services, in an effort to help realize the benefits of cloud computing.
Back to top
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 is a comprehensive solution that can help drive down costs and accelerate time-to-market for the business by automating the delivery of business services.
IBM CloudBurst is a prepackaged and self-contained service delivery platform that can be implemented in a data center in an effort to help accelerate and simplify your cloud computing acquisition and deployment including both the cloud management infrastructure and the cloud resources to be provisioned. It is a solution with a high degree of integration, flexibility, and resource optimization, providing an enhanced request-driven user experience.
In an effort to help improve customer satisfaction and help accelerate service delivery, IBM CloudBurst can help organizations realize the benefits of a cloud computing model.
IBM CloudBurst provides preinstalled capabilities which are vital for a cloud service delivery model, including:
- A self-service portal interface for in-advance computing reservations, storage, and networking resources, in addition to virtualized resources
- Automated provisioning and de-provisioning of resources
- Prepackaged automation templates and workflows for most common resource types
- Real-time monitoring of physical and virtual cloud resources
- Integrated usage and accounting chargeback capabilities that can help system administrators track and optimize system usage
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 replaces IBM CloudBurst V1.2, however, product numbers are unchanged.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
- September 30, 2010
Back to top
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 is a prepackaged and self-contained service delivery platform that combines the necessary hardware, software, and services components to rapidly implement a cloud computing infrastructure. IBM CloudBurst V2.1 is built on the IBM System x® BladeCenter® platform. IBM BladeCenter is ideally suited as the x86 technology platform for private clouds. Its built-in resiliency, lower connectivity costs, energy efficiency, and network bandwidth helps provide a robust base for private clouds that can help efforts to reduce costs, improve service delivery, and enable business innovation.
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 allows the data center to accelerate the creation of service platforms for a wide spectrum of workload types with a high degree of integration and flexibility, providing an enhanced request-driven user experience, while aiding efforts to drive down costs and help accelerate time to market for the business. This solution can help simplify the intricacies of implementing a cloud computing model and can help enable organizations to quickly realize the benefits and business potential of a dynamic infrastructure. Cloud computing is a services acquisition and delivery model for IT resources, and if used properly, can help improve business performance and efforts to help control the costs of delivering IT resources to an organization.
IBM CloudBurst focuses on expanding existing core service management capabilities into production clouds. This includes:
- Self service and service automation:
- Isolation capabilities of environments through supporting multiple Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) and pooling of subnets.
- Ability to select additional software to be installed on the image to be deployed in an effort to provide more flexibility.
- Change service requests before and after deployment to modify allocations for CPU, memory, disk space, and reservation of an already reserved project in an effort to better utilize the cloud and respond to changing needs of users.
- Integration with IBM Tivoli Change and Configuration Management to allow for change-driven deployments.
- Integrated monitoring and management of IT resources for faster problem resolution.
- Usage and accounting capabilities that can help enable chargeback for
cloud services to optimize system usage.
- Enables the creation of resource usage and accounting data that helps allow for tracking, planning, budgeting, and chargeback of system resource usage.
- High availability configuration to help protect against unplanned outages and can help simplify virtual machine mobility during planned changes.
- Energy management that helps with monitoring and management of energy usage of IT and facility resources, which can assist with efforts to optimize energy consumption for higher efficiency of resources, all in an effort to help lower operating costs.
- Ability to manage other heterogeneous resources outside of the IBM CloudBurst environment (requires purchase of additional licenses).
- Storage virtualization to help increase management efficiency and utilization of heterogeneous storage assets. This optional feature allows you to deploy not only virtualized servers, but the necessary storage for a virtualized server irregardless of the brand or type of storage.
- Single contact and support point for problem resolution
- Global Technology Services (GTS) implementation services, which can help to ensure that a complete package of hardware and software is operational right away in your environment.
IBM CloudBurst V2.1 is an important component of IBM's Smarter Planet initiative and provides the capabilities which are key to implementing dynamic cloud services.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM CloudBurst is capable, when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it.
Back to top
Some of the challenges addressed by IBM CloudBurst:
- Business pains
- Increased pressure to cut operating capital expenses and contribute more to the business
- Increased pressure to speed cycles of innovation to be more competitive
- Lack of qualified IT resources
- Inflexible systems that do not change with the business
- Merging acquired resources and assets with existing IT infrastructure
- IT pains
- Deal with IT budgets that are frozen or shrinking, and resource utilization and labor costs that are under scrutiny
- Increased complexity of IT environments
- Maintaining quality of service with reduced budgets
Back to top
Program Program number VRM name 5724-Y70 2.1 IBM CloudBurst for System x
Back to top
Comprehensive education for IBM Tivoli products is offered through Worldwide Tivoli Education Delivery Services. A wide range of training options are available, including classes led by instructors, learning on demand, on-site training, and blended learning solutions.
For additional information, visit
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
For additional information, refer to the License Information document that is available on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Direct customer support
For technical support or assistance, contact your IBM representative or visit
Security, auditability, and control
IBM CloudBurst uses the security and audibility features of the operating system software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
|Licensing metric definitions and pricing examples|
Licensing metric definitions
Processor Value Unit (PVU)
PVU is a unit of measure by which the program can be licensed. The number of PVU entitlements required is based on the processor technology (defined within the PVU table by processor value, brand, type, and model number at
and the number of processors made available to the program. IBM continues to define a processor, for the purpose of PVU-based licensing, to be each processor core on a chip. A dual-core processor chip, for example, has two processor cores.
Licensee can deploy the program using either full capacity licensing or virtualization capacity (sub-capacity) licensing according to the Passport Advantage sub-capacity licensing terms (refer to the Web page below). If using full capacity licensing, licensee must obtain PVU entitlements sufficient to cover all activated processor cores* in the physical hardware environment made available to or managed by the program, except for those servers from which the program has been permanently removed. If using virtualization capacity licensing, licensee must obtain entitlements sufficient to cover all activated processor cores made available to or managed by the program, as defined according to the Virtualization Capacity License Counting Rules at
* An activated processor core is a processor core that is available for use in a physical or virtual server, regardless of whether the capacity of the processor core can be or is limited through virtualization technologies, operating system commands, BIOS settings, or similar restrictions.
Note: Instead of the entitlements required for the program directly, Licensee must obtain PVU entitlements for this program sufficient to cover the processor cores managed by the program.
Standby or backup systems
For programs running or resident on backup machines, IBM defines three types of situations: cold, warm, and hot. In cold and warm situations, a separate entitlement for the copy on the backup machine is normally not required and typically no additional charge applies. In a hot backup situation, the customer needs to acquire other licenses or entitlements sufficient for that server. All programs running in backup mode must be solely under the customer's control, even if running at another enterprise's location.
As a practice, the following are definitions and allowable actions concerning the copy of the program used for backup purposes:
- Cold: A copy of the program may reside, for backup purposes, on a machine as long as the program is not started. machine as long as the program is not started. There is no additional charge for this copy.
- Warm: A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine and is started, but is idling, and is not doing any work of any kind. There is no additional charge for this copy.
- Hot: A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine, is started, and is doing work. The customer must acquire a license or entitlements for this copy and there will generally be an additional charge.
Doing work includes, for example, production, development, program maintenance, and testing. It also could include other activities such as mirroring of transactions, updating of files, synchronization of programs, data, or other resources (for example, active linking with another machine, program, database or other resource, and so on), or any activity or configurations that would allow an active hot switch or other synchronized switchover between programs, databases, or other resources to occur.
In the case of a program or system configuration that is designed to support a high availability environment by using various techniques (for example, duplexing, mirroring of files or transactions, maintaining a heartbeat, active linking with another machine, program, database, or other resource), the program is considered to be doing work in the hot situation and a license or entitlement must be purchased.
Through the Passport Advantage Agreement, you may receive discounted pricing based on their total volume of eligible products, across all IBM brands, acquired worldwide. The volume is measured by determining the total Passport Advantage points value of the applicable acquisitions. Passport Advantage points are only used for calculating the Entitled Passport Advantage discount.
To determine the required IBM Tivoli product configuration under Passport Advantage, the IBM Tivoli Enhanced Value-Based Pricing Model applies. The customer's environment is evaluated on a per-product basis.
Use the following two-step process to determine the total Passport Advantage points value:
- Analyze your environment to determine the number of charge units for a product. The quantity of each product's part numbers to be ordered is determine by that analysis.
- Order the Passport Advantage part numbers. A Passport Advantage point value, which is the same worldwide for a specific part number regardless of where the order is placed, is assigned to each IBM Tivoli product part number. The Passport Advantage point value for the applicable part number, multiplied by the quantity for that part number, will determine the Passport Advantage points for that IBM Tivoli product part number. The sum of these Passport Advantage points determines the Passport Advantage point value of the applicable IBM Tivoli product authorizations which then may be aggregated with the point value of other applicable Passport Advantage product acquisitions to determine the total Passport Advantage points value.
The discounted pricing available through Passport Advantage is expressed in the form of Suggested Volume Prices (SVPs), which vary depending on the SVP level. Each SVP level is assigned a minimum total Passport Advantage point value, which must be achieved, in order to qualify for that SVP level.
Media packs and documentation packs do not carry Passport Advantage points and are not eligible for SVP discounting.
For additional information on Passport Advantage, refer to the following
The following Passport Advantage part number categories may be orderable:
- License and Software Maintenance 12 Months - This is the product authorization with maintenance to the first anniversary date.
- Annual Software Maintenance Renewal: This is the maintenance renewal for one anniversary that applies when a customer renews their existing coverage period prior to the anniversary date at which it expires.
- Software Maintenance Reinstatement 12 months: This is for customers who have allowed their Software Maintenance to expire, and later wish to reinstate their Software Maintenance.
- Media packs: These are the physical media, such as CD-ROMs, that deliver the product's code.
- Documentation packs: These contain printed documentation such as the User's Guide and Release Notes.
Back to top
|Pricing examples for IBM CloudBurst|
IBM CloudBurst is a combination of IBM hardware, software, and services. The base IBM CloudBurst configuration consists of four IBM BladeCenter blade servers, an IBM System x management server, an IBM System Storage controller, IBM CloudBurst software, and Quickstart Implementation services. IBM CloudBurst software can only be entitled when configured with the applicable IBM CloudBurst hardware. Entitlement of the IBM CloudBurst software is based on processor cores being managed within the IBM CloudBurst BladeCenter chassis. Entitlement for IBM CloudBurst software is based on the Processor Value Units of the managed IBM BladeCenter blade servers.
The customer has the IBM CloudBurst hardware configured with four blade servers -- one managing blade server and three managed blade servers. The customer will require the following entitlements for the IBM CloudBurst software:
IBM Number of Number of Total number CloudBurst cores per blade servers of core hardware blade server in chassis entitlements required Managing 12 1 0 blades Managed 12 3 36 blades Total 36 entitlements required
The customer who purchased a IBM CloudBurst configured with four blades now adds one more managed blade server to the IBM CloudBurst configuration. The customer will require the following entitlements for IBM CloudBurst software in addition to the requirements above in scenario 1:
IBM CloudBurst Number of Number of Total number hardware cores per blade servers of core blade server in chassis entitlements required Additional managed blade 12 1 12 Total 12 entitlements required
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage, and will not be delivered separate from the overall CloudBurst hardware system. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product group: Tivoli IT Service Management Product Identifier Description PID IBM CloudBurst for System x 5724-Y70 Product category: Tivoli Service Automation Manager
Orders for new licenses will be accepted now.
Shipment will begin on the planned availability date.
Ordering information for Passport Advantage
Passport Advantage allows you to have a common anniversary date for Software Maintenance renewals, which can simplify management and budgeting for eligible new versions and releases (and related technical support) for your covered products. The anniversary date, established at the start of your Passport Advantage Agreement, will remain unchanged while your Passport Advantage Agreement remains in effect. New software purchases will initially include twelve full months of Software Maintenance. Software Maintenance in the second year (the first year of renewal) can be prorated to be coterminous with your common anniversary date. Thereafter, all Software Maintenance will renew at the common anniversary date for twelve full months of maintenance.
Refer to the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement and to the IBM Software Support Handbook for specific terms relating to, and a more complete description of, technical support provided through Software Maintenance.
The quantity to be specified for the Passport Advantage part numbers in the following table is per required number of Processor Value Units. To order the previously announced IBM CloudBurst part numbers in Passport Advantage, specify the desired part number and quantity.
Description Part number IBM CloudBurst Base Value Unit (PVU) License D0AMJLL + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM CloudBurst Base Value Unit (PVU) SW S&S D0AMKLL Reinstatement 12 Mo IBM CloudBurst Base Value Unit (PVU) Annual E07L4LL SW S&S Renewal IBM CloudBurst Additional Unit Value Unit D0AMHLL (PVU) Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM CloudBurst Additional Unit Value Unit (PVU) D0AMILL SW S&S Reinstatement 12 Mo IBM CloudBurst Additional Unit Value Unit (PVU) E07L3LL Annual SW S&S Renewal
Subscription and Support
Subscription and Support must be ordered to receive voice technical support via telephone during normal business hours, and future releases and versions, at no additional charge. The capacity of Subscription and Support (for example, Value Units or number of processors) must be the same as the capacity ordered for the product licenses.
To order, specify the Subscription and Support program product number and the appropriate license or charge option.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
- IBM CloudBurst license information form number: L-DGII-84VSJ3
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Volume orders (IVO)
IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
For Passport Advantage and charges, contact your IBM representative or your authorized IBM Business Partner. Additional information is also available at
Smarter Planet, System Storage and Electronic Service Agent are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Tivoli, System x, BladeCenter and Passport Advantage are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page