Additional information: IBM CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.1IBM United States Software Announcement 209-378
September 15, 2009
|Table of contents||Document options|
Additional information is added to the CICS® Transaction Server for z/OS® (CICS TS) V4.1 offering, announced in Software Announcement 209-135, dated April 28, 2009. For details, refer to the Description section.
Back to top
Optional source code
IBM® currently offers a set of source code modules as an optional no-charge feature of CICS TS for z/OS (CICS TS) V4.1. These source code modules comprise the latest version of the source code modules that are offered with CICS TS V3.2, together with certain new source code modules that were introduced with CICS TS V4.1 and are eligible for inclusion in the optional no-charge feature.
IBM does not intend, in future releases of CICS TS, to extend this set of optional no-charge source code modules. Licensed users of CICS TS should therefore not expect that IBM will offer new no-charge source code modules as part of this feature in any future CICS TS release.
Optional Source (excludes Object-Code-Only modules) Orderable Description Supply ID Optional Source (excludes Object-Code-Only modules) - 3480 Tape Cartridge S015G3S
Note that the optional source code is only available via the CICS TS V4.1 stand-alone path, PID 5655-S97, and not within the CBPDO offerings.
Additional platform support for the CICS Explorer
In addition to the previously announced platforms, the CICS Explorer is also supported on SUSE Linux® Enterprise Server 10. Additionally, it should be noted that only 32-bit platforms and x86 machines are supported.
The updated list of supported platforms:
- Microsoft® Windows® platforms
- Windows XP Professional SP2
- Windows Vista Business, Ultimate
- Windows 2003 Standard SP1, Enterprise
- Windows 2008 Standard SP1, Enterprise
- Linux platforms
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0
Application programming summary
The previously announced information for applications written in COBOL, PL/I, C/C++, Java, and Assembler is replaced by the following.
The following programming language compilers are currently supported by CICS TS V4.1.
Product name PID Translator Run-time support support
COBOL Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V4.1 5655-S71 Yes(1) (2) Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3.4 5655-G53 Yes(1) (2)
PL/I Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.5, 5655-H31 Yes(1) (2) or later C and C++ z/OS V1.9, or later, XL C/C++ 5694-A01 - Yes(1) (2) Component of z/OS z/OS V1.8 XL C/C++ 5694-A01 - Yes(1) (2) Component of z/OS
Assembler High Level Assembler for MVS 5696-234 Yes Yes and VM/VSE V1.5, or later Java IBM 31-bit SDK for z/OS, Java 5655-R31 Yes Technology Edition, V6 IBM 64-bit SDK for z/OS, Java 5655-R32 No Technology Edition, V6 IBM SDK for z/OS, Java 5655-N98 (3) Technology Edition, V5 IBM SDK for z/OS, Java 5655-I56 (3) Technology Edition, V1.4.2
(1) The compiler provides support for the CICS integrated translator.
(2) Provided by Language Environment®.
(3) Version 1.4.2 and Version 5 of the IBM 31-bit SDK for z/OS Java 2 Technology Edition cannot be used with CICS TS V4.1. Most Java applications created using these SDK versions are expected to run on Version 6 of the 31-bit SDK (5655-R31) unchanged, provided the applications do not use deprecated APIs, and are not affected by the small number of incompatibilities introduced industry wide with Java version changes.
Further details are available for programming language compilers that may be used with CICS TS V4.1 but are no longer supported by IBM. See IBM CICS TS for z/OS V4.1 Information Center, under topic "High-level language support".
Supported IBM products
The following levels of other related IBM products are supported by CICS TS V4.1:
- IMS V9.1 (5655-J38)
- IMS V10.0 (5635-A01)
- DB2® for z/OS V8.1 (5625-DB2)
- DB2 for z/OS V9.1 (5635-DB2)
- WebSphere® MQ for z/OS V6.0 (5655-L82)
- WebSphere MQ for z/OS V7.0 (5655-R36)
- WebSphere Business Events V6.1.0, or later (5724-U90)
- WebSphere Business Monitor V6.1.0, or later (5724-M24)
- Tivoli® Decision Support for z/OS V1.7 (5698-A07), with PTF for APAR PK39321
- Tivoli Decision Support for z/OS V1.8 (5698-B06)
- Tivoli Federated Identity Manager for z/OS V6.1, or later (5698-A85)
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA V6.1, or later (5724-M07)4
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager for WebSphere for z/OS V6.1 (5698-A71)
- CICS Universal Client V6.0, or later (5724-J09)
- CICS Transaction Gateway (CICS TG) for z/OS V6.0 to V6.1 (5655-M69)(5)
- CICS TG for z/OS V7.0, or later (5655-R25)
- CICS TG for Multiplatforms V6.0, or later (5724-I81)
- The Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA product provides monitoring and management of Web services in different environments, and has been enhanced to provide support to monitor CICS Web services. This enhancement added support to consume the data from the WebSphere Registry and Repository and publish into a database. This publishing capability lets you compare the services that are observed in the environment to the services as defined by WebSphere Registry and Repository.
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA also provides a mechanism to forward the status events of the Web services to WebSphere Registry and Repository, providing a view of the operational status of Web services in the WebSphere Registry and Repository.
- From Version 6.0 onwards, CICS TG became two products: CICS TG for z/OS and CICS TG for Multiplatforms.
Revised technical information
The following text removes the statement that CICS TS V4.1 includes use of the SOAP for CICS feature:
CICS TS V4.1 will interoperate with supported levels of WebSphere Application Server (any platform) V6.0, or later. This applies directly for customers using RMI/IIOP or SOAP, and applies to CICS TG V6.0, or later for those using JEE Connector Architecture (JCA).
Prerequisites for identity context propagation functions
With the introduction of IBM z/OS V1.11, CICS TS V4.1 will support, by year-end 2009, the forthcoming z/OS identity propagation capabilities allowing security identities operating in the distributed environment to be associated with security identities used on the server (z/OS user IDs). This enables CICS applications to participate in end-to-end security solutions, and therefore benefit from improved cross-platform accountability and auditing. This provides an alternative to custom-written identity mapping.
For identity context propagation functions in CICS TS V4.1, z/OS V1.11 (5694-A01) is required. This enables CICS PTF (see APAR PK83741 Functional enablement for support of distributed identities). For further details on z/OS V1.11, refer to Software Announcement 209-029, dated February 24, 2009.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
The following features support use by people with disabilities:
- Operation by keyboard alone
- Optional font enlargement and high-contrast display settings
- Ability to run with screen readers and screen magnifiers for use by people with visual impairment
- Optional display of audio alerts for people with hearing impairment
- Communication of all information independently of color
- Ability for the user to request more time to complete timed responses
The Information Center is accessible to people with visual, physical, or hearing impairment. Features are incorporated which have been designed for users with visual impairment. All functions can be performed without the use of a mouse. Instead of viewing diagrams, users can choose to read text descriptions. Command syntax diagrams can be displayed in three different formats, including one which has been designed for visually impaired users. Some information is provided in PDF format; this is accessible using Acrobat Reader 8.0, or later.
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
CICS TS for z/OS V4.1 is capable as of June 26, 2009, when used in accordance with the associated IBM documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via the following Web site
Back to top
Program Program Name VRM number CICS TS for z/OS 410 5655-S97
MVS and IMS are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
CICS, z/OS, IBM, Language Environment, DB2, WebSphere and Tivoli are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top