IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler offers functional enhancementsIBM United States Software Announcement 208-350
November 11, 2008
|At a glance|
IBM® Tivoli® Workload Scheduler (TWS) LoadLeveler is a distributed network-wide job management facility designed to dynamically schedule work on IBM Power, IBM BladeCenter®, and IBM System x systems. It allows users to run more jobs in less time by matching the jobs' processing needs with the available resources. Version 3.5 enhancements include:
- Recurring reservations
- Data-aware scheduling for improved cluster utilization
- Multicluster scale-across scheduling
- AIX® Work Load Management (WLM) integration
- Adapter striping
- Task affinity
- Unique Network Interface ID
Back to top
TWS LoadLeveler is a job management system that allows users to run more jobs in less time by matching the jobs' processing needs with the available resources. TWS LoadLeveler schedules jobs and provides functions for building, submitting, and processing jobs quickly and efficiently in a dynamic environment. Batch jobs can be submitted, either serial or parallel, to run in the background and require no input from the user.
Version 3.5 enhancements include:
- The TWS LoadLeveler® commands and APIs have been enhanced to support recurring reservations. Accounting records have been enhanced to have recurring reservation entries. A new "recurring" job command keyword will allow a user to specify that the job can run in every occurrence of the recurring reservation to which it is bound.
- Data-aware scheduling support improves cluster utilization and performance in data-intensive applications. With the new support, data staging can be scheduled to occur at submit time, just-in-time, or ahead of a reservation.
- Scale-across scheduling is a way to schedule jobs in the multicluster environment to span resources across more than one cluster. This feature allows jobs that request more resources than any single cluster can provide to combine the resources of multiple clusters to run that job, effectively spanning resources across more than one cluster. Additionally, it allows utilization of fragmented resources from more than one cluster. Fragmented resources occur when the resources available on a single cluster cannot satisfy any single job on that cluster. This feature allows any size job to take advantage of these resources by combining them from multiple clusters.
- Enhancements to AIX WLM integration for virtual memory and large page usage of a job includes reporting statistics for limits and dynamically changing and enforcing limits.
- Enhanced adapter striping (sn_all) support allows scheduling of jobs to nodes that have a few networks in the failed (NOTREADY) state, provided that all of the nodes assigned to the job have more than half of the networks in the READY state. A new "striping_with_minimum_networks" configuration keyword has been added to the class stanza to support striping on failed networks.
- Task affinity support has been enhanced on nodes that are booted in single threaded mode and on nodes that do not support simultaneous multithreading (SMT).
- Unique network interface IDs (NetworkID64) are generated for Mellanox adapters on Linux® systems with InfiniBand support for adapter ports that are connected to the same switch and have the same IP subnet address. This ensures ports that are connected to the same switch but are configured with different IP subnet addresses will get different NetworkID64 values.
Back to top
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
- November 14, 2008: General support
- April 30, 2009: InfiniBand support on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
Back to top
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Back to top
Program Program number VRM name 5724-I23 3.5.0 IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program.
The following publications are available from the Web:
- IBM TWS LoadLeveler: Using and Administering
- IBM TWS LoadLeveler: Diagnosis and Messages Guide
- IBM TWS LoadLeveler: Installation Guide
To access all TWS LoadLeveler documentation, refer to the IBM Cluster Information Center Web site. For the most recent TWS LoadLeveler documentation in PDF and HTML formats, visit
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM: product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for. orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 50 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries, free of charge.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
TWS LoadLeveler is supported on the following IBM servers:
- Power Systems
- System p®
- System x
TWS LoadLeveler is also supported on non-IBM servers with AMD Opteron or Intel® EM64T processors.
When running in an AIX environment:
- AIX 6.1, Technology Level 6100-02.
- AIX 5.3, Technology Level 5300-09.
- TWS LoadLeveler APAR IZ31336.
- To run parallel operating environment jobs, Parallel Environment V5.1 is required.
- If using the GUI, AIXWindows Environment and Java Runtime Environment are required.
- If using the Config Tasks Wizard, TaskGuide Runtime Environment is required.
- For support with the InfiniBand switch, the following service updates
- Running AIX 6.1: APAR IZ35508 and IZ35525
- Running AIX 5.3: APAR IZ35508 and IZ35524
When running in a Linux operating environment:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10 SP 2
- SLES 9 SP 4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2, or later update
- RHEL 4 update 7
- TWS LoadLeveler service update 3.5.0-1
Note: General support includes RHEL 5.2 in a switchless environment. Support planned for April 30, 2009, includes the InfiniBand switch on the RHEL 5 and SLES 10 operating systems.
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a readme file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
IBM Parallel Environment provides a high-function parallel application development environment that is designed to reduce the time and effort required to develop parallel applications. These parallel applications could then be run with TWS LoadLeveler.
Support for the InfiniBand switch on RHEL 5 and SLES 10 is not provided upon initial availability. Support is planned to be provided by April 30, 2009.
Version 3.5 is the last release that will support:
- The IBM High Performance Switch
- The Motif-based graphical user interface xloadl
- The BladeCenter JS21 with a BladeCenter H chassis interconnected with the InfiniBand Host Channel Adapters connected to a Cisco InfiniBand SDR switch
- The Power System 575 (Model 9118-575) and Power System 550 (Model 9133-55A) interconnected with the InfiniBand Host Channel Adapter and Cisco switch
TWS LoadLeveler is distributed with:
- International Program License Agreement (Z125-3301)
- License Information document
- CD-ROM media
- Publications (refer to the Publications section)
Security, auditability, and control
TWS LoadLeveler uses the security and auditability features of the operating system software and the Tivoli Management Framework. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
|IBM Tivoli Enhanced Value-Based Pricing|
A Value Unit is a pricing charge metric for program license entitlements, which is based upon the quantity of a specific designated measurement used for a given program. Each program has a designated measurement. The most commonly used designated measurements are processor cores and MSUs. The number of Value Unit entitlements required for your specific implementation of the given program must be obtained from a conversion table associated with the program. You must obtain a PoE for the appropriate number of Value Unit entitlements for your implementation. The Value Unit entitlements of a given program cannot be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with Value Unit entitlements of another program. Whenever the designated measurement is a processor core, not all processors require the same number of Value Unit entitlements. To determine the number of Value Unit entitlements required, refer to the processor value unit conversion table on the Passport Advantage Web site
Product and licensing Web Sites
A complete list of IBM Tivoli products is available at
IBM Tivoli product licensing documents are available at
Through the Passport Advantage Agreement, you may receive discounted pricing based on their total volume of eligible products, across all IBM brands, acquired worldwide. The volume is measured by determining the total Passport Advantage points value of the applicable acquisitions. Passport Advantage points are only used for calculating the Entitled Passport Advantage discount.
To determine the required IBM Tivoli product configuration under Passport Advantage, the IBM Tivoli Enhanced Value-Based Pricing Model applies. The customer's environment is evaluated on a per-product basis.
Use the following two-step process to determine the total Passport Advantage points value:
- Analyze your environment to determine the number of charge units for a product. The quantity of each product's part numbers to be ordered is determined by that analysis.
- Order the Passport Advantage part numbers. A Passport Advantage point value, which is the same worldwide for a specific part number regardless of where the order is placed, is assigned to each IBM Tivoli product part number. The Passport Advantage point value for the applicable part number, multiplied by the quantity for that part number, will determine the Passport Advantage points for that IBM Tivoli product part number. The sum of these Passport Advantage points determines the Passport Advantage point value of the applicable IBM Tivoli product authorizations, which then may be aggregated with the point value of other applicable Passport Advantage product acquisitions to determine the total Passport Advantage points value.
The discounted pricing available through Passport Advantage is expressed in the form of Suggested Volume Prices (SVPs), which vary depending on the SVP level. Each SVP level is assigned a minimum total Passport Advantage point value, which must be achieved, in order to qualify for that SVP level.
Media packs and documentation packs do not carry Passport Advantage points and are not eligible for SVP discounting.
For additional information on Passport Advantage, refer to the following
The following Passport Advantage part number categories may be orderable:
- License and Software Maintenance 12 Months: This is the product authorization with maintenance to the first anniversary date.
- Annual Software Maintenance Renewal: This is the maintenance renewal for one anniversary that applies when a customer renews their existing coverage period prior to the anniversary date at which it expires.
- Software Maintenance Reinstatement 12 months: This is for customers who have allowed their Software Maintenance to expire, and later wish to reinstate their Software Maintenance.
- Media packs: These are the physical media, such as CD-ROMs, that deliver the product's code.
Distributed pricing examples (processor and processor Value Unit based)
The following examples are provided to illustrate your licensing requirements.
References to processor-based licensing do not represent the actual number of entitlements required. Entitlement requirements are Value Unit based, with the exception of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager. Processors referenced in these examples represent the designated measurement on which the required number of Value Unit entitlements will be calculated. The number of Value Units required per processor will depend on the processor type. For more information, refer to the Value Unit definition in IBM Tivoli Enhanced Value-Based Pricing terminology definitions. To determine the number of Value Unit entitlements required per processor, refer to the processor Value Unit conversion table on the Passport Advantage Web site
References to all other non-processor-based metrics do represent the actual
number of entitlements required, unless other designated measurements are
referenced or unless otherwise specified.
Note: All UNIX® systems require the per-processor Value Unit entitlements, whether they are clients or servers.
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product group: Configurations and Operations Product Identifier Description (PID) Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler (5724-I23) Product category: TWS LoadLeveler
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Entitled maintenance offerings description Part number IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units (PVU) LIC + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months D58CALL IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units (PVU) Annual SW Subscription & Support Renewal E02JKLL IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units (PVU) SW Subscription & Support Reinstatement 12 Mo D58CBLL Media packs description Part number IBM TWS LoadLeveler for AIX V3.4 CD Media Pack IE BH03AIE IBM TWS LoadLeveler Linux xSeries® V3.4 CD Media Pack IE BH03CIE IBM TWS LoadLeveler for Linux Power v3.4 CD media Pack BH03BIE IBM TWS LoadLeveler for Linux on xSeries Multi- platform V3.3.2 Media Pack BH02KIE IBM TWS LoadLeveler for Linux on Power V3.3.2 CD ROM Media Pack BH02JIE IBM TWS LoadLeveler for AIX V3.3.2 CD ROM Media Pack BH032IE
Current licensees, with support in effect, will receive instructions on how to order this update.
Orders for new licenses will be accepted now.
Shipment will begin on the planned availability date.
Ordering information for Passport Advantage
Passport Advantage allows you to have a common anniversary date for Software Maintenance renewals, which can simplify management and budgeting for eligible new versions and releases (and related technical support) for your covered products. The anniversary date, established at the start of your Passport Advantage Agreement, will remain unchanged while your Passport Advantage Agreement remains in effect. New software purchases will initially include 12 full months of Software Maintenance. Software Maintenance in the second year (the first year of renewal) can be prorated to be coterminous with your common anniversary date. Thereafter, all Software Maintenance will renew at the common anniversary date for 12 full months of maintenance.
Refer to the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement and to the IBM Software Support Handbook for specific terms relating to, and a more complete description of, technical support provided through Software Maintenance.
The quantity to be specified for the Passport Advantage part numbers in the following table is per required number of Processor Value Units. To order for Passport Advantage, specify the desired part number and quantity.
Description Part number Processors: IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units LIC + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months D58CALL IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units Annual SW Subscription & Support Renewal E02JKLL IBM TWS LoadLeveler 10 Processor Value Units SW Subscription & Support Reinstatement 12 Months D58CBLL
To order a media pack for Passport Advantage, specify the part number in the desired quantity from the following table:
Description Part number IBM TWS LoadLeveler for AIX V3.5.0 CD Media Pack IE BJ0QREN IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler for Linux Power V3.5 CD MP IE BJ0QSEN IBM Tivoli Workload Sched LoadLeveler Linux xSer V3.5 CD Media Pack IE BJ0QTEN
TWS LoadLeveler is also available, via Web download, from Passport Advantage.
Subscription and Support
Subscription and Support must be ordered to receive voice technical support via telephone during normal business hours, and future releases: and versions, at no additional charge. The capacity of Subscription and Support (for example, Value Units or number of processors) must be the same as the capacity ordered for the product licenses.
To order, specify the Subscription and Support program product number and the appropriate license or charge option.
When Subscription and Support is ordered, the charges will automatically renew annually unless cancelled by the customer.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
License Information form number
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that (1) for programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program and (2) for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Authorization for use on home/portable computer
You may not copy and use this program on another computer without paying additional license fees.
Volume orders (IVO)
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under the applicable agreements.
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage Web site at
IBM Operational Support Services - SoftwareXcel
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
To be eligible for On/Off CoD pricing, you must be enabled for temporary capacity on the corresponding hardware, and the required contract, Amendment for iSeries® and pSeries® Temporary Capacity On Demand - Software (Z125-6907), must be signed prior to use.
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
Information on charges is available at
For Passport Advantage and charges, contact your IBM representative or your authorized IBM Business Partner. Additional information is also available at
Business Partner information:
If you are an IBM Business Partner -- Distributor for Workstation Software acquiring products from IBM, you may link to Passport Advantage Online for resellers where you can obtain Business Partner pricing information. An IBM ID and password are required.
System x and Electronic Service Agent are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Tivoli, BladeCenter, AIX, LoadLeveler, Passport Advantage, System p, xSeries, iSeries and pSeries are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top