IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5 delivers enhanced tools for Web application development on iIBM United States Software Announcement 208-345
October 7, 2008
|Table of contents||Document options|
IBM® Rational® Developer for i for SOA1 Construction V7.5 enables you to build innovative rich Web applications, and user interfaces (UI), so you can link to the backend RPG, COBOL, and Enterprise Generation Language (EGL) business applications. It contains powerful EGL-based Web development tools targeting i. It also allows you to increase your application development productivity by exploiting emerging computing technologies to fulfill new and changing business requirements with minimum re-training effort.
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5 helps to simplify and accelerate the development of SOA applications, modernize legacy systems, and reduce development costs. You can reuse and extend valuable existing IT assets such as RPG and COBOL programs and service programs, by turning existing RPG and COBOL applications into artifacts needed for service access, for example, Web services. You simply use supplied wizards in IBM Rational Developer for i to create Web services that are deployed on i. These applications then can be extended to the Web by using IBM Rational Business Developer.
The products included in this offering are:
- IBM Rational Business Developer
- IBM Rational Developer for i
- IBM Rational HATS 2 Toolkit
IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5 simplifies and accelerates development of Web and SOA applications, modernize legacy systems, and reduce development costs. You can reuse and extend valuable existing IT assets, such as existing RPG and COBOL programs and service programs. In addition, it includes automated conversion of IBM VisualAge® Generator applications to EGL.
IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5 lets you edit, compile, and debug traditional and new IBM i RPG and COBOL application development.
Although the HATS Toolkit V7.5 is available as a free download, it is included in IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction for your convenience. IBM Rational HATS for 5250 Applications V7.5 is designed to make modernization of UI and creation of Web services even easier.
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5 helps to create Web services from your existing i RPG and COBOL service programs or programs. It enables existing applications to participate in SOA constructions.
Effective October 28, 2008, the configurator will provide the following support:
- New orders for IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction can be placed in IBM i 5.4 and 6.1.
- IBM Rational Developer for i and IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction can be selected in the same order.
- Service oriented architecture
- Host Access Transformation Services
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
For part number orders
- November 26, 2008, Electronic software delivery
- December 5, 2008, Physical software delivery
For feature code orders
- December 12, 2008, electronic and physical software delivery
Back to top
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5 gives you Web development capabilities while allowing you to create and maintain existing RPG and COBOL applications. It contains three products:
- IBM Rational Business Developer
- IBM Rational Developer for i
- IBM Rational HATS Toolkit
IBM Rational Business Developer
IBM Rational Business Developer delivers the latest technology tools to support the definition and test/debug of EGL applications and services. It also delivers a generation engine that transforms the EGL source into Javatm or COBOL code optimized for deployment to a broad variety of application hosting environments, including Java 2 Platform Enterprise Edition (J2EE) servers (WebSphere®, Apache Tomcat, i Integrated Application Server, and so on) and traditional transactional systems such as IBM i.
EGL hides the details of the target execution platforms and associated middleware, freeing you to focus on the business problem rather than on the underlying implementation technologies. If you have little or no experience with Java and Web technologies, you can use EGL to create enterprise-class services and applications quickly and easily. If you have little or no experience with i programming, you can quickly create highly optimized i Web services and programs.
IBM Rational Business Developer has functions that further strengthen the platform coverage, the support for an SOA and for business integration solutions, the usability and versatility of the EGL language. It provides capability for extending RPG and COBOL applications to the Web.
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction addresses the full spectrum of modern business application requirements including the development of:
- Business services: The EGL language includes the built-in notion of "service," allowing you to create and consume services in an extremely simple and straightforward way, and to permeate systems architecture with service orientation.
- Web applications: Tight integration of EGL with the Java Server Faces (JSF) framework and JSF tooling enables you to create Web applications in a simple and productive way, without the need to know Java or the details of the JSF framework.
- Portlets: EGL JSF Web applications can also be deployed to WebSphere Portal Server. EGL provides built-in functions to interface the Portal framework, including support for inter-portlet communications.
- Reports: EGL integration with Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT), an open source reporting engine, allows you to create sophisticated reports.
- Batch systems: The language includes the built-in notion of a "batch program," which can be generated to run without end user interaction (for example, to produce reports or to batch database load and update.)
- Text user-interface applications: To facilitate migration of legacy systems to a modern development environment, EGL includes the ability to create traditional 5250 character-based user interfaces and related programming constructs.
- Tight integration of EGL and RPG/COBOL applications: RPG/COBOL applications can be easily extended to the Web.
IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5 delivers the following enhancements:
- Support for deployment of Web applications to WebSphere Application Server V7.0
- Support for deployment of portlets to WebSphere Portal V6.1
- Support for JavaServer Faces 1.2
IBM Rational Business Developer generates COBOL code that can be deployed to i5/OS® V5R3, IBM i 5.4, or later.
IBM Rational Business Developer generates Java code that can be deployed to the following environments:
- i5/OS V5R3, i 5.4, or later. Web applications require WebSphere Application Server 6.0, or later, Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later, or the IBM i Integrated Application Server.
- AIX® V5.2. Web application requires WebSphere Application Server V6.0, or later, or Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later.
- Windows® XP, 2003, 2008, Vista. Web application requires WebSphere Application Server V6.0, or later, or Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later.
- Linux® (Red Hat 4, or higher, SUSE 9, or higher). Web application requires WebSphere Application Server V6.0, or later or Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later.
- HP Unix 11iv2. Web application requires WebSphere Application Server V6.0, or later, or Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later.
- Solaris 10 or later. Web application requires WebSphere Application Server V6.0, or later, or Apache Tomcat 5.5, or later.
Supported relational databases
- IBM DB2® V7, and later
- IDS 7.3, and later
- Oracle 8, and later
- SQL Server 2000
- Derby 10
IBM Rational Business Developer empowers you to increase your productivity for i application development through:
- Abstraction: EGL provides concise and powerful notations that help to eliminate the tight coupling. It reduces the amount of coding required to interface with systems and middleware. This abstraction simplifies and speeds up your development.
- Declarative programming: EGL includes declarative specifications to help reduce repetitive and error-prone coding. For example, validation rules can be associated with a data item to trigger validation whenever the item is used in a Web page or a 5250 screen.
- Language: EGL is a comprehensive but easy-to-learn language. Modern, modular, and readable, it has a rich library of built-in functions to boost developer productivity for commonly required operations, such as date and time math, string manipulation, and more. In addition, the language is extensible and offers full interoperability with other languages, including EGL interfaces to native Java, and seamless invocation of RPG or COBOL programs or any ILE procedure.
- Tools: IBM Rational Business Developer contains a rich set of Eclipse-based capabilities, including EGL source level debugging, powerful smart editing, visual construction, graphical navigation, and automated generation of Create/Read/Update/Delete (CRUD) applications from Unified Modeling Language (UML) models or from data schemas.
- SOA: EGL is designed to facilitate services development and deployment. A simplified SOA development paradigm is built into the language itself and complemented with the tools. Services can be created without knowledge of Web service protocols and standards such as Web Services Description Language (WSDL), Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), or Extensible Markup Language (XML).
For information on IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-362, dated October 7, 2008.
IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5
IBM Rational Developer for i delivers an Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE) for RPG and COBOL programmers. The combination of IBM Rational Developer for i and IBM Rational Business Developer enables you to:
- Develop and deploy Web-based applications
- Create Web services for existing i applications
- Use EGL to extend your existing applications with a Web user interface
IBM Rational Developer for i gives you with edit, compile, and debug capabilities. The key V7.5 enhancements include:
- Integration with IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software V7.5
- Improved performance at startup and system actions
- Increased capabilities of the i Project support for centralizing IBM i resources in a common change management repository
IBM Rational Developer for i allows you to modernize existing i RPG and COBOL applications to enable them for SOA. Use the edit, compile, and debug capability in IBM Rational Developer for i to separate your batch code into reusable procedures that can be consumed as Web services. The new Web services wizard can be used to turn these procedures into services. These steps will enable IBM Rational Business Developer to consume those existing RPG and COBOL services.
For information on IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-290, dated October 7, 2008.
IBM Rational HATS Toolkit
The HATS Toolkit includes a default transformation engine that quickly and easily generates a dynamic Web interface from a 5250 datastream. The resulting Web interface can also be customized with the HATS Toolkit. With HATS, you can also create Web services that provide standard programming interfaces to business logic and transactions contained within host applications. Applications produced with the HATS Toolkit require the purchase of HATS for 5250 Applications licenses and HATS for 5250 Applications V7.5 media prior to deployment to production. The key HATS V7.5 enhancements include:
- Visual macro editor tooling to enable developers to more easily build robust and reliable Web services
- Support for latest versions of Rational development environments, including Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software V7.5
- Support for latest versions of WebSphere Application Server, WebSphere Portal, Lotus® Expeditor, and Eclipse Rich Client Platform
- Support for the Firefox browser for WebFacing or linked HATS/WebFacing applications
For information on IBM HATS V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-359, dated October 7, 2008.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5 is capable as of November 26, 2008,when used in accordance with associated IBM documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via the IBM Web site at
Back to top
Most IT organizations are under pressure to deliver integrated systems and Web applications to help their businesses become more efficient and competitive. However, some industry studies show that the high cost and long time required to re-train software developers are main inhibitors to aligning IT with the needs of the business. If an organization develops applications in-house but the development team does not have enough experience and skills with emerging middleware and programming technologies, they may be unable to deliver the systems that the business demands.
To address this challenge, IBM delivers the new IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction offering. It enables organizations to build their application development capabilities while preserving their investment in skills and software assets.
- Helps simplify and accelerate development of SOA applications, modernize legacy systems, and reduce development costs
- Enables you to reuse and extend valuable existing IT assets such as RPG and COBOL programs and service programs, by turning existing RPG and COBOL applications into artifacts needed for service access, for example, Web services
- Combines the power of IBM Rational Developer for i for doing edit/compile/debug with the ability to extend existing applications to the Web with IBM Rational Business Developer.
In today's typical i IT shops, there is in-house development. The developers tend to fall into two fairly distinct camps:
- The legacy developers (RPG, COBOL, 4GLs)
- The new developers (GUI, Windows, Java, Web)
If legacy development is large and there is mounting pressure to deliver new solutions to the business, the IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction proposition, which includes IBM Rational Developer for i and IBM Rational Business Developer, is attractive.
Legacy developers cannot easily do Web or SOA applications, and new developers are not trained to deal with legacy technologies. Managing cross-technology teams is challenging and can slow development down. IBM Rational Developer for i and IBM Rational Business Developer can be learned easily by either teams, allowing for a unified pool of developers and enabling them to work on end-to-end projects in a single technology.
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction brings to the i market a modern powerful programming environment that targets legacy environments to help motivate developers, retain existing talent, and attract new talent.
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
For more information, visit
IBM also plans to deliver an extension to IBM Rational Business Developer that enables the generation of EGL as COBOL source that can be compiled and deployed to z/VSEtm in fourth quarter, 2008. Code can be deployed as traditional 3270 CICS® applications, traditional batch applications, or programs capable of being invoked from an EGL Web front-end or EGL service, which can be deployed on a distributed application server. A runtime component, comparable to IBM Rational COBOL Runtime for zSeries®, provides the required libraries for these programs running in z/VSE. This new offering helps deliver Web 2.0, SOA, and Web solutions for z/VSE.
Product plans referenced in this document may change at any time at IBM's sole discretion based on market opportunities or other factors, and are not intended to be a commitment to future product or feature availability in any way. All statements regarding IBM plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.
Back to top
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld® ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
For details on IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-362, dated October 7, 2008.
For details on IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-290, dated October 7, 2008.
For details on IBM Rational Host Access Transformation Services V8.4, refer to Software Announcement208-359, dated October 7, 2008.
Back to top
For hardware requirements information on IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-362, dated October 7, 2008.
For hardware requirements information on IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5, refer to Software Announcement208-290, dated October 07, 2008
For hardware requirements information on IBM HATS V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-359, dated October 7, 2008.
For software requirements information on IBM Rational Business Developer V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-362, dated October 7, 2008.
For software requirements information on IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-290, dated October 7, 2008.
For software requirements information on IBM HATS V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-359, dated October 7, 2008.
Back to top
Part Program name/Description number IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction BT05TML V7.5 Media Pack IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA D03L5LL Construction Auth Us LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA E04KDLL Construction Auth Us ANNUAL SW MAINT RNWL IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA D03L6LL Construction Auth Us SW MAINTW REINSTATE 12 MO IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA D03L7LL Construction Auth Us from IBM Rational Developer for System i® TRADEUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA D03XALL Construction Auth Us from VA Generator TRADEUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Entitled maintenance offerings description Part number IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Win ML BT05TML
IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA V7.5 5733-SOA (#5829)
Supply feature withdrawal
Effective December 9, 2008, the supply feature #5819 for IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA V7.1 (5733-SOA) will be withdrawn.
Back to top
For local charges, contact your IBM representative.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing offering and capabilities: For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
Identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
z/VSE is a trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Rational, VisualAge, WebSphere, i5/OS, AIX, DB2, Lotus, alphaWorks, CICS, zSeries, PartnerWorld, Passport Advantage, System i and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top