IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1 lets you respond quickly to legal and investigative requests for electronic evidenceIBM United States Software Announcement 208-226
August 05, 2008
|At a glance|
IBM® eDiscovery Manager V2.1:
- Helps you to respond to eDiscovery requests driven by litigations, investigations, or corporate compliance requests.
- Enables authorized users to search, cull, hold, and export case-relevant e-mail leveraging an optimized high-volume index linked with a litigation vault based on secure, market-leading IBM Content and Records Management repositories.
- Manages cases, audits, tracks, and keeps chain of custody.
- Provides the foundation for a proactive eDiscovery.
- Supports IBM Lotus Notes® Domino® and Microsoft® Exchange.
For ordering, contact your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (Reference: YE001).
Back to top
E-mail is the most frequently sought electronically stored information during legal proceedings, regulatory inquiries, and investigations. IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1 is an Electronic Discovery (eDiscovery) tool for e-mail that is the cornerstone of IBM's proactive, platform-based eDiscovery solution enabling organizations to gain agility in responding to litigation with a lower-cost in house approach than fully outsourcing the eDiscovery process.
IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1 is an e-mail eDiscovery tool that helps you:
- Search, cull, hold, and export case-relevant e-mail, with easy-to-use Web-based user interface.
- Manage e-mail litigation holds with out-of-the-box native hold capability and works with IBM market-leading records management offerings.
- Create new or work on existing cases and save searches so you share with authorized users to increase user productivity.
- Audit track and keep a chain of custody of the operations it performs from searching, culling, holding to export.
- Export case-relevant e-mail in Microsoft Exchange and Lotus® Domino formats for further detailed review.
IBM eDiscovery Manager helps you respond to litigation matters. It provides the foundation for a proactive eDiscovery leveraging IBM Information Management capabilities. It works from IBM Content Manager or IBM FileNet® Content Manager e-mail archives created by IBM CommonStore or IBM FileNet Email Manager.
IBM eDiscovery Manager is a follow on of IBM eMail Search for CommonStore. IBM eMail Search for CommonStore customers who are under active maintenance are entitled to eDiscovery Manager.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
August 29, 2008: Electronic software delivery
September 26, 2008: Media and documentation
Back to top
Electronic Discovery (eDiscovery) is the process of identifying, locating, securing, and producing information for the purpose of handling regulatory matters, internal or governmental investigations, employee disputes, corporate governance, operational control, and evidence finding for utilization in the legal process. The eDiscovery process defines what documents are needed, how they are collected, processed, reviewed, and eventually packaged to be presented to external or opposing counsel.
IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1 is an eDiscovery tool for e-mail that is the cornerstone of IBM's proactive, platform-based eDiscovery solution enabling authorized users to search, cull, hold, and export case-relevant e-mail from IBM Content Manager or IBM FileNet Content Manager e-mail archives created by IBM CommonStore or IBM E-mail Manager, with an easy-to-use Web-based UI. It can be used to create new cases or work on existing cases and save searches to share with authorized users. It keeps audit track and chain of custody of all the processes it manages. If you use eDiscovery Manager, you can gain agility in responding to litigation with a lower cost in house approach than fully outsourcing the e-mail eDiscovery process.
eDiscovery Manager provides capabilities to:
- Bring e-mail eDiscovery process in house for search, cull, hold, and export
e-mail enabling corporations to take control over e-mail reducing overall
eDiscovery costs. It is optimized and designed for working on high volume
e-mail with high performance and a rich set of functionality:
- eDiscovery Manager provides case insensitive, boolean, proximity, fuzzy and stemmed, wildcard search on metadata, message body, attachments for e-mails for customers who prefer IBM Content Manager as a litigation vault. E-mails are brought into IBM Content Manager via IBM CommonStore.
- eDiscovery Manager provides Boolean and wildcard search on metadata for customers who prefer IBM FileNet P8 as a litigation vault. E-mails are brought into IBM FileNet Content Manager via IBM FileNet Email Manager.
- Ability to save and reuse search terms, associate searches with existing or new cases, permit other users to perform searches based on security profiles to increase user productivity.
- Browser-based e-mail viewing capability with highlighting of search terms allowing users to quickly and efficiently locate and preview the context of e-mail for relevance.
- Automated hold capability to suspend the normal scheduled disposition of e-mails once they are deposited into a litigation vault to avoid spoliation sanctions, accidental deletions, and facilitates implementing the duty to preserve litigation-relevant content. It also delivers out-of-the-box integration with IBM corporate enterprise-wide records management systems to enforce common taxonomy and retention schedules.
- Chain of custody, audit, and reporting capability to demonstrate authenticity and meet chain of custody requirements, at a case level, by maintaining a full audit trail that can be exported and used in courts, increasing defensibility of the e-mail evidence exported.
- Export capability to export culled e-mail set in native formats (.nsf for Lotus Domino, .msg for Exchange Server) for litigation document review.
- Gain agility in responding to litigation with:
- High volume, high-scale litigation vault (IBM Content Manager or IBM FileNet Content Manager), preparing responsive e-mail set with reduced processing time.
- User interface optimized for high performance retrieval while minimizing mouse clicks, keys strokes, and user interactions.
- A zero footprint Web 2.0 and AJAX-based client allowing users to launch it by simply pointing the browser to a URL so it requires minimal user training.
- Globalization Support for group 1, and selected group 2 and group 3 languages allowing international customers to perform discovery requests in the supported language of their choice.
- User friendly installation program increasing its consumability, easy to deploy out of the box.
- A lower-cost in house approach than fully outsourcing the eDiscovery process
IBM eDiscovery Manager is a follow on of IBM eMail Search for CommonStore. Customers with IBM eMail Search for CommonStore, who are under active maintenance, are entitled to eDiscovery Manager.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via the IBM Web site
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM eDiscovery is capable as of September 26, 2008 , when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT), containing details on the products accessibility compliance, can be requested on the following Web site
IPLA and Subscription and Support considerations
IPLA licenses can be transferred from one machine to another within, but not limited to an enterprise. You may aggregate the capacity for all the processors the product is operated on to achieve a more economic price. This will result in a single Proof of Entitlement (PoE). It is your responsibility to manage the distribution of Value Units within the limits of the entitlement of the product license.
Subscription and Support must cover the same capacity as the product license entitlement. Subscription and Support will be available in the country in which the agreement is made.
Back to top
IBM eDiscovery Manager is a follow on version of:
- IBM e-Mail Search for CommonStore for Exchange Server
- IBM e-Mail Search for CommonStore for Lotus Domino
This new version leverages IBM CM8 and IBM P8 Enterprise Content Management Repositories in conjunction with IBM CommonStore or IBM Email Manager, to deposit e-mail from messaging systems (Lotus Domino or Exchange Server) into litigation vault repository area.
It delivers out-of-the-box integration with corporate enterprise-wide records management systems, IBM FileNet P8 Records Manager, and IBM Records Manager for CM8 installations.
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
All statements regarding IBM's plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.
Availability of national languages
Product description Language GA date IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1.0 Multilingual September 26, 2008 (French, Russian, Korean, Chinese - Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese - Traditional, Hungarian, English, Czech, Slovakian, Italian, Polish)
Back to top
Program VRM Program name number 5724-V36 2.1.0 IBM eDiscovery
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this product.
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 20 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
- Server: 4-way recommended; 2-way minimum
- AIX®: POWERtm processor
- Microsoft Windows®: x86 processor
- RAM: 8 GB recommended; 4 GB minimum
Server operating systems (one of the following)
- AIX 5Ltm V5.3 (32 bit) for Lotus Domino (server) and Notes® (client) environments only
- AIX 5L V6.1 (32 bit) for Lotus Domino (server) and Notes (client) environments only
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (32 bit) SP2 or R2 on x86
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (32 bit) SP2 or R2 on x86
Web application servers (server)
- WebSphere® Application Server (32 bit) V22.214.171.124, or later
Exception: Do not use V126.96.36.199. This version of WebSphere Application Server is not supported.
DB2® Content Manager connectors (server) (one of the following)
- DB2 Content Manager Information Integrator for Content V8.4
- DB2 Content Manager Information Integrator for Content V8.3 Fix Pack 7, or later
Javatm Runtime Environment (server)
- Sun Java Runtime Environment V1.5.0 with Windows
Content management servers (one of the following)
- DB2 Content Manager V8.4 on AIX, Solais, or Windows
- DB2 Content Manager V8.3 Fix Pack 7 or later on AIX, Solais, or Windows
- IBM FileNet P8 V4.01 on AIX, HP/UNIX, Linux®, Solairs, or Windows
CommonStore V8.4 is required in most DB2 Content Manager environments. CommonStore V8.3 is supported only for existing IBM eMail Search customers who are migrating to eDiscovery Manager and already running DB2 Content Manager V8.3 Fix Pack 7, or later.
Client operating systems
Clients running one of the following operating systems can access and run the eDiscovery Manager Web client:
- AIX 5L V5.3 (32 bit) on POWER hardware platform for Lotus Domino (server) and Lotus Notes (server)
- AIX 5L V6.1 (32 bit) on POWER hardware platform for Lotus Domino (server) and Lotus Notes (server)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32 bit) on x86 hardware platform
- Microsoft Windows XP (32 bit) on x86 hardware platform
- Microsoft Internet Explorer V7.x on Windows*
- Microsoft Internet Explorer V6 SP1*
- Mozilla Firefox V2.x*
Recommendations: The IBM eDiscovery Manager Web client is best viewed with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or larger. For the best performance, use Microsoft Internet Explorer V7.x or Mozilla Firefox V2.x.
E-mail client applications
IBM eDiscovery Manager supports the following e-mail client applications:
- Lotus Notes V8 on AIX or Windows
- Lotus Notes V7 on AIX or Windows
- Lotus Notes V6.5 on AIX or Windows
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 on Windows
- Microsoft Outlook 2003 on Windows
eDiscovery Manager Client: Sun Java Runtime Environment V1.5.0 on Windows
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
For additional information, refer to Usage restriction in the Terms and conditions section of this announcement, or to the license information document that is available on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Direct customer support
Direct customer support is provided by IBM Operational Support Services - Support Line. This fee service enhances your productivity by providing voice and electronic access into the IBM support organization. IBM Operational Support Services - Support Line helps answer questions pertaining to usage and suspected software defects for eligible products.
Installation and technical support is provided by Global Services. For more information call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Security, auditability, and control
IBM eDiscovery uses the security and auditability features of the host software.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
To locate an IBM Business Partner, visit
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Licensed function title Product group Product category IBM eDiscovery Manager Content eDiscovery Manager
eDiscovery Manager Value Units
Custodian User Value Unit (CUVU) license conversion table
Minimum Maximum User Max Cumulative Cumulative Custodian Custodian Value UVUs UVUs Cumulative Volume Users Users Units for at each vol Level per each level disc Custodian level 1 20 20 50.00 1.000 1.000 0.0% 2 21 100 20.00 1,600 2,600 48.0% 3 101 500 3.00 1,200 3,800 84.8% 4 501 1,000 2.5 1,250 5,050 89.9% 5 1,001 5,000 1.75 7,000 12,050 95.2% 6 5,001 20,000 1.25 18,750 30,800 96.9% 7 20,001 50,000 1.00 30,000 60,800 97.6% 8 50,001 1,000,000,000 0.50 499,975,000 500,035,800 99.0%
For the licensed program, minimum purchase quantity is 20 Custodian User.
Program name PID Charge unit number description IBM eDiscovery Manager 5724-V36 User Value Unit
Charge metrics definitions
User Value Unit (UVU)
UVU is the metric by which this program is licensed. UVU entitlements are based on the number of users for the given program. A PoE must be obtained for the appropriate number of UVUs required for your environment as defined by the specific program terms. The UVU entitlements are specific to the program and may not be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with UVU entitlements of another software program. UVU licensing offers price benefits for customers by enabling a lower cost of incremental growth of resources. To understand these benefits of UVU licensing, and to determine how many UVUs to obtain for the program, please contact your IBM representative.
Custodian User means one and only one specific individual (named or unnamed) within or outside your enterprise, whose e-mail content will be searched, or is authorized by you to be searched, at any time by the program, either directly or indirectly (via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means.
Enterprise means any legal entity that at all times (i) you own or have under your common control by a factor of 50% or more and (ii) that is the legal entity that is authorized to execute and administer this agreement on behalf of the enterprise. For the purposes of any enterprise license granted under this agreement, Enterprise will exclude (i) any new entity acquired by virtue of merger or acquisition after the effective date of this agreement, and (ii) any entity that, at any time during the term of this agreement, is sold, spun off, liquidated, or that otherwise ceases to satisfy the elements of the definition of enterprise set forth above.
License means each license granted under this agreement by IBM to you, to use the program as listed on a PoE.
General charge terms
UVU entitlements are based on the number of users for the given program. A PoE must be obtained for the appropriate number of UVU required for your environment as defined by the specific program terms. The UVU entitlements are specific to a program and may not be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with UVU entitlements of another program. To determine the number of UVU license entitlements required, refer to the UVU license conversion table.
In addition, if you are licensed on a UVU basis and the program you are licensed to use is incremented on a Custodian basis (CUVU), the following will apply. Each Custodian User licensed under a Custodian UVU entitlement, as indicated in the applicable PoE, may access that program or any component of that program up to the authorized level. At all times, the number of Custodian Users accessing the program or any component of the program in any manner, directly or indirectly or through any other means, must not exceed your entitlement to use the program, as indicated on the applicable PoEs.
Passport Advantage program licenses
Part description Part number IBM eDiscovery Manager IBM eDiscovery Manager Custodian per User Value Unit E0570LL Annual SW S&S Renewal IBM eDiscovery Manager Custodian per User Value Unit D04Q9LL Lic + SW S&S 12 Mo IBM eDiscovery Manager Custodian per User Value Unit SW D04QALL S&S Reinstate 12 Mo
Passport Advantage supply
Program name/description Part number IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1.0 IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1 Multiplatform Multilingual BF03JML Media Pack
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
IBM eDiscovery Manager V2.1.0
Entitled maintenance Media packs description Part offerings description number IBM eDiscovery Manager IIBM eDiscovery Manager BF03JML User Value Unit V2.1 Multiplatform Multilingual Media Pack
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and PoE govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
License Information form number
Program name Program Form number number IBM eDiscovery 5724-V36 L-MMAN-7E7T8W
The program's License Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. Consult the IBM Software Support Handbook for further information at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Authorization for use on home/portable computer
The program may be stored on the primary machine and another machine, provided that the program is not in active use on both machines at the same time. You may not copy and use this program on another computer without paying additional license fees.
Product name IBM eDiscovery No
Volume orders (IVO)
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Yes. For additional information refer to the License Information Document that is available on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
International Passport Agreement
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
The following agreement applies for maintenance and does not require customer signatures:
- IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011)
These products are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA), and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program.
These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
IBM Operational Support Services - SoftwareXcel
System i Software Maintenance applies
Educational allowance available
Back to top
For Passport Advantage information and charges, contact your IBM representative or authorized IBM Business Partner. Additional information is also available at
Business Partner information
If you are an IBM Business Partner -- Distributor for Workstation Software acquiring products from IBM, you may link to Passport Advantage Online for resellers where you can obtain Business Partner pricing information. An IBM ID and password are required.
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
Identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
POWER and AIX 5L are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, Lotus Notes, Domino, Lotus, FileNet, Passport Advantage, AIX, Notes, WebSphere, DB2 and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top