IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V7.1 helps improve application developer productivityIBM United States Software Announcement 206-222
September 12, 2006
|Table of contents||Document options|
|At a glance|
Debug Tool for z/OS V7.1 helps examine, monitor, and control the execution of application programs by letting you
- Interactively debug an application as it runs
- Perform seamless debugging of mixed-language applications
- Make adjustments to your application while debugging
- Display, monitor, and alter program variables
Debug Tool also supports many programming languages and numerous execution environments.
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
Debug Tool for z/OS® V7.1 is the IBM interactive source-level debugging tool for compiled applications. It is a program testing and analysis aid that helps you examine, monitor, and control the execution of application programs written in C, C++, COBOL, or PL/I on a z/OS system.
Debug Tool supports debugging of application programs running in the following environments:
- UNIX® System Services
V7.1 has added functional and usability improvements, which make Debug Tool an even more productive
tool to use.
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- September 29, 2006, English
- October 27, 2006, Japanese
- June 15, 2007, Korean
Back to top
Debug Tool for z/OS V7.1 includes the following new features and enhancements:
Monitor enhancements include:
- For COBOL programs, removes the prefixed program name from the output, allowing for more data to be displayed in the same line.
- Displays variable values in columnar format. This includes members of an array or structure. Provides a new command, SET MONITOR COLUMN, to direct Debug Tool to format the monitor window display in column format.
- Provides a ruler to indicate offset from start of display to current cursor position.
- Allows for update of large variables directly in the monitor window.
- Includes the HEX prefix command that can now apply to only one member of an array or a sublevel of a structure and not to the entire array or structure.
- Removes visible full name restriction for updating array or structure members.
Some library systems store the source code in a data set that at first
glance appears to be a partitioned dataset. However, the data set is
actually a DSORG DA or VSAM data set. In order for Debug Tool to
properly read such a data set, it must allocate that data set with the
SUBSYS=ssss allocation parameter, where ssss is a subsystem provided by
the library system vendor.
With V7, in the cases where Debug Tool needs to access the source (C, C++, Enterprise PL/I if a separate debug file is not used) directly from a library system that requires SUBSYS=ssss when the data set is allocated, a method (via EQAOPTS) is now provided that lets you tell Debug Tool to use the SUBSYS=ssss allocation parameter when it allocates the data set.
- Standardware Corporation's COPE product is used in an IMS environment to deliver some additional capabilities for applications and systems administrators. A new option (via EQAOPTS) allows the COPE facilities to continue while Debug Tool is active.
- A new option (via EQAOPTS) allows you to select the behavior of Debug Tool when the terminal using the full-screen mode through a VTAM® terminal facility or the remote debugger GUI is not available.
- The LIST, CLEAR, ENABLE, and DISABLE commands are enhanced to support suspended breakpoints.
- The LIST STORAGE and STORAGE commands are enhanced so that you can provide a starting byte offset instead of defaulting to the start of the area of storage allocated to the variable in the command.
- Support is added to allow manipulation of COBOL level 88 condition variables. The user now has the ability to set the level 88 variable to a TRUE value.
- The Debug Tool CICS control utility (DTCN) is enhanced so you can temporarily inactivate a profile, and then reactivate it at some point later.
- DTCN is enhanced so you can select CICS tasks to debug based on the client IP name or address.
- The new option "TASK" has been added to the QUIT DEBUG command to give greater control when terminating debugging sessions which involve pseudo-conversational applications. If you specify TASK, Debug Tool processing will be terminated until the end of the current CICS pseudo-conversational task (for example, EXEC CICS RETURN TRANSID.) When a new task is started in the pseudo-conversation, Debug Tool debugging will resume.
- An option is added to the Debug Tool Utilities primary panel to invoke IBM File Manager (FM) for z/OS functions FM base, FM/DB2, and FM/IMS. (Note that File Manager is a separately installed product.)
- When specifying a preference or command file in the TEST runtime option, users now have the ability to specify whether Debug Tool should treat the data set name as fully or partially qualified.
- Debug Tool supports the DEBUG compile option with FORMAT(ISD) available with the C/C++ z/OS 1.6 compiler (and above). This option provides the ability to specify the granularity of the compiled-in hooks that would be inserted by the compiler, and the amount of debug data.
- The Debug Tool Setup Utility's File Allocation Panel can now be viewed as a full screen panel, accessible by the ShowDD command.
Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions V7.1: Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions V7.1, a separate, optional product that builds on the function in Debug Tool V7.1, delivers even more debugging capability for z/OS applications. Debug Tool V7.1 is included in Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions V7.1. For more information on Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions V7.1, refer to Software Announcement 206-223 , dated September 12, 2006.
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
The product in this announcement is capable as of its general availability, when used in accordance
with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the
Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly
interoperates with it.
Back to top
|Hardware and software support services|
IBM SmoothStart and Installation Services are not provided.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Debug Tool for z/OS V7 runs under the control of, or in conjunction with, the currently supported releases of the following programs and their subsequent releases or their equivalents. For more information on the following programs that require program temporary fixes (PTFs), refer to the program directory, the customization guide, and the Preventative Service Planning (PSP) bucket for this product.
Required licensed programs
z/OS V1.4, or later (5694-A01)
Optional licensed programs
Depending on the functions used, one or more of the following programs may be required:
- AD/Cycle® C/370 V1.2 (5688-216)
- C/C++ for MVS/ESA V3 (5655-121)
- C/C++ element of OS/390® (5647-A01)
- C/C++ element of z/OS (5694-A01)
- CICS® Transaction Server (CICS TS) for OS/390 V1.3 (5655-147)
- CICS TS for z/OS V2.2 and V2.3 (5697-E93)
- CICS TS for z/OS V3.1 (5655-M15)
- VS COBOL II V1.3.1, V1.3.2, V1.4 (5668-958, 5688-023), with limitations
- COBOL for MVS & VM V1 (5688-197)
- COBOL for OS/390 & VM V2 (5648-A25)
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 (5655-G53)
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS V7.1 (5655-R45)
- DB2® UDB for z/OS and OS/390 V7 (5675-DB2)
- DB2 UDB for z/OS V8 (5625-DB2)
- DB2 UDB for z/OS V9 (5635-DB2)
- File Manager for z/OS V5 (5655-M21)
- File Manager for z/OS V6 (5655-P17)
- File Manager for z/OS V7 (5655-R47)
- High Level Assembler/MVS & VM & VSE, V1.4 and V1.5 (5696-234)
- IMS V7 (5655-B01)
- IMS V8 (5655-C56)
- IMS V9 (5655-J38)
- OS PL/I V2.1, V2.2, V2.3 (5668-909, 5668-910), with limitations
- PL/I for MVS & VM V1.1.1 (5688-235)
- VisualAge® PL/I for OS/390 V2.2 (5655-B22)
- Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3 (5655-H31)
- WebSphere® Studio Enterprise Developer V5.1.1 with fix for APAR PQ89965 or V5.1.2 (5724-B67)
- WebSphere Developer for zSeries® V6.0 (5724-L44)
- WebSphere Developer Debugger for zSeries V6.0.1 (5724-N06)
The Debug Tool for z/OS V7.1 package includes:
- Basic machine-readable material on the customer-selected distribution medium
- Program Directory (GI10-8726)
- Licensed Program Specifications (GC19-1082)
Security, auditability, and control
The announced program uses the security and auditability features of the host operating system
software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security
features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and
Back to top
Ordering z/OS through the Internet
ShopzSeries provides an easy way to plan and order your z/OS ServerPac or CBPDO. It will analyze your current installation, determine the correct product migration, and present your new configuration based on z/OS. Additional products can also be added to your order (including determination of whether all product requisites are satisfied). ShopzSeries is available in the U.S., Canada and several countries in Europe.
In countries where ShopzSeries is not available yet, contact your IBM representative (or IBM Business Partner) to handle your order via the traditional IBM ordering process. For more details and availability, visit the ShopzSeries Web site at
- Orders for new licenses can be placed now.
- Registered customers can access IBMLink for ordering information and charges.
- Shipment will not occur before availability date.
- Shipment will begin on the planned availability date.
- Unless a later date is specified, orders entered before the planned availability date will be assigned a schedule date of one week following availability.
- Orders entered after the planned availability date will be assigned a schedule date for the week following order entry.
- New users of IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V7 should specify Type: 5655 Model: R44.
Basic license: To order a basic license, specify the program number and feature number 9001 for asset registration. Specify the feature number of the desired distribution medium as shown.
ESL machines can be determined by referring to the IBM Entry End User/390 Attachment (Z125-4379).
Parallel Sysplex® license charge (PSLC) basic license: To order a basic license, specify the program number and quantity of MSU.
If there is more than one program copy in a Parallel Sysplex,the charge for all copies is associated to one license by specifying the applicable PSLC license options and quantity represented by the sum of the Service Units in Millions (MSUs) in your Parallel Sysplex. For all other program copies, specify the System Usage Registration No-Charge (SYSUSGREG NC) Identifier on the licenses.
Entitlement License option / identifier Description pricing metric S012PVX Debug Tool for z/OS V7 Basic MLC, PSLC below 3 MSU Basic MLC, PSLC AD SYSUSGREG NC, PSLC AD
Workload License Charge (WLC) Basic License: If there is more than one program copy in a Parallel Sysplex, the charge for all copies is associated to one license by specifying the applicable WLC license options and quantity represented by the sum of the Service Units in Millions (MSUs) in your Parallel Sysplex. For all other program copies, specify the Workload Registration Variable WLC Identifier on the licenses.
Entitlement License option / identifier Description pricing metric S012PVX Debug Tool for z/OS V7 Basic MLC, Variable WLC Workload Registration, Variable WLC
Entry Workload License Charge (EWLC) Basic License: To order a basic license, specify the program number and the quantity of MSUs.
Entitlement License option / identifier Description pricing metric S012PVX Debug Tool for z/OS V7 Basic MLC, Entry WLC
Growth opportunity license charge (GOLC): To order a basic license, specify the program number and the correct level.
Specify the GOLC monthly license option.
Entitlement License option / identifier Description pricing metric S012PVX Debug Tool for z/OS V7 Basic MLC, GOLC
zSeries entry license charge (zELC): To order zELC software, specify the program number and z800 model.
Specify the zELC monthly license option.
Entitlement License option / identifier Description pricing metric S012PVX Debug Tool for z/OS V7 Basic MLC, zELC
Single version charging: To elect single version charging, the customer must notify and identify to IBM the prior program and replacement program and the designated machine the programs are operating on.
Basic machine-readable material
Orderable Supply ID Language Distribution Medium Description S012PW0 US English 3480 Tape Cartridge Debug Tool for z/OS V7 S012PW1 Japanese 3480 Tape Cartridge Debug Tool for z/OS V7 S012PVZ Korean 3480 Tape Cartridge Debug Tool for z/OS V7
Customization options: Select the appropriate feature numbers to customize your order to specify the delivery options desired. These features can be specified on the initial or MES orders.
Example: If publications are not desired for the initial order, specify feature number 3470 to ship media only. For future updates, specify feature number 3480 to ship media updates only. If, in the future, publication updates are required, order an MES to remove feature number 3480; then, the publications will ship with the next release of the program.
Feature Description 3444 Serial Number Only (suppresses shipment of media and documentation) 3470 Ship Media Only (suppresses initial shipment of documentation) 3471 Ship Documentation Only (suppresses initial shipment of media)
Feature Description 3480 Ship Media Updates Only (suppresses update shipment of documentation) 3481 Ship Documentation Only (suppresses update shipment of media) 3482 Suppress Updates (suppresses update shipment of media and documentation)
Feature Description 3445 Local IBM Office Expedite (for IBM use only) 3446 Customer Expedite Process Charge ($30 charge for each product)
Expedite shipments will be processed to receive 72-hour delivery from the time IBM Software Delivery and Fulfillment (SDF) receives the order. SDF will then ship the order via overnight air transportation.
Unlicensed documentation: A Program Directory (GI10-8726) and Licensed Program Specifications (GC19-1082) is supplied automatically with the basic machine-readable material. No other hardcopy publications are shipped with the product.
The following optional publications will be available after product availability:
- Debug Tool V7 User's Guide (SC19-1071)
- Debug Tool V7 Reference and Messages (GC19-1073)
- Debug Tool V7 Summary of Commands and Built-in Functions (SC19-1074)
- Debug Tool V7 Customization Guide (SC19-1075)
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 50 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries free of charge.
The site is available in English and Canadian French.
Displayable softcopy publications: All IBM Debug Tool for z/OS Version 7 publications are available in displayable softcopy format (BookManager®, PDF) on the IBM Debug Tool Web site
Subsequent updates (technical newsletters or revisions between releases) to the publications shipped with the product will be distributed to the user of record for as long as a license for this software remains in effect. A separate publication order or subscription is not needed.
Most product media is shipped only via customized offerings (that is, CBPDO, ServerPac,
SystemPac®). Non-customized items (CDs, diskettes, source media, and media kits) will continue to
be shipped via the stand-alone product.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
Agreement: IBM Customer Agreement
Variable charges apply: No
Indexed monthly license charge (IMLC) applies: No
Location license applies: No
Use limitation applies: No
Educational allowance available: Yes, 15% education allowance applies to qualified education institution customers.
Volume orders: Not applicable
Replaced Program Replacement Program Program Program Program Program number name number name 5734-CB4 COBOL Interactive 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for Debug z/OS V7 5658-995 Inspect for C/370 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for and PL/I V1 z/OS V7 5688-194 CODE/370 V1 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V7 5688-194 IBM Debug Tool for 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS and OS/390 V1 z/OS V7 5655-H32 IBM Debug Tool for 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS and OS/390 V3 z/OS V7 5655-L24 IBM Debug Tool for 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V4 z/OS V7 5655-M18 IBM Debug Tool for 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V5 z/OS V7 5655-P14 IBM Debug Tool for 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for z/OS V6 z/OS V7 5655-R44 IBM Debug Tool for To a follow-on, z/OS V7 if any
Warranty applies: Yes
Licensed program materials availability
- Restricted materials of IBM: None
- Non-restricted source materials: None
- Object Code Only (OCO): All
Support Center applies: Yes Access is available through the IBM Support Center Available until discontinued: 12 months' written notice APAR Mailing Address: IBM Corporation APAR Processing P.O. Box 49023 San Jose, CA 95161-9023
IBM Operational Support Services SupportLine: Yes
Entry Workload License Charge (EWLC):
A revised contract (Attachment for EWLC, TWLC, zELC and z/OS.e License Charges, Z125-6587) is
in place for Entry Workload License Charge (EWLC). This revised contract must be signed by the
Back to top
Contact your IBM representative for charges information for this
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: LE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top