IBM Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition V5.7 delivers tools and run-times for server-managed client devicesIBM United States Software Announcement 204-174
July 27, 2004
|At a glance|
Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition (WCTME) V5.7 packages WebSphere Studio Device Developer (WSDD) with WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment (WEME) to create an enhanced offering that can assist in the development, testing, and deployment of applications to server-managed clients.
WCTME is a platform onto which the next generation of e-business can be deployed. As a powerful enabler of on demand capabilities, WCTME delivers a Java-powered platform where devices have access to pre-tested content, can be maintained over the air (OTA), and are pre-enabled for access to many enterprise applications, data, and transactions.
WCTME V5.7 has two major components:
- WSDD V5.7 provides tools that help developers create and test applications that run on mobile and other pervasive devices.
- WEME V5.7 enables the deployment of applications to devices.
Back to top
IBM Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition (WCTME) V5.7 is a platform that can be used to extend many existing enterprise applications to server-managed client devices such as desktop computers, laptop systems, personal digital assistants (PDAs), and other mobile and pervasive devices. WCTME combines tools, run-times, and APIs that can be used to build, test, deploy, and maintain server-managed client software.
The WebSphere® Studio Device Developer (WSDD) component of WCTME V5.7 adds new productivity features to assist developers, such as:
- Micro Environment Toolkit for WebSphere Studio can help development teams create Extension Services for Relational Data (DB2e), Messaging/Transactions (MQe), Web Services Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)
- An enhanced Services Management Framework (SMF) development toolkit facilitates the creation of server-managed applications deployed to the Services Management Framework, IBM's implementation of the OSGi Services Platform
- Enhanced integration for testing and deploying applications to PDAs
WSDD is an integrated development environment (IDE) that helps developers build, test, and deploy Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) applications that run on server-managed clients and other pervasive devices. WSDD contains a set of programmatic APIs and middleware enablement that can facilitate the extension of many existing Enterprise IT applications out to server-managed clients. WSDD also offers dynamic install for integration with other members of the WebSphere Studio family of application development products to form a comprehensive end-to-end development environment.
The WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment (WEME) component of WCTME V5.7 offers a J2ME run-time environment for the deployment of applications to pervasive devices. It forms the foundation for the deployment of e-business applications to small mobile devices. Devices supported in WCTME V5.7 include selected models of palmOne Tungsten C, Sharp Zaurus, and HP iPaQ.
WEME, formerly known as WebSphere Micro Environment (WME), is also available on selected devices directly from some device manufacturers or IBM Business Partners.
New in WCTME V5.7 are Extension Services. Extension Services provide the programmatic APIs, based on industry standards, and middleware to enable server-managed client devices to interact with the end user. They also enable highly secure connections to, and transactions with, many existing enterprise e-business applications.
For more information about WCTME or its components, contact your IBM representative or authorized Business Partner, or visit the following Web sites
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- July 30, 2004: Passport electronic delivery (International English)
August 30, 2004:
- Passport electronic delivery (Multilingual)
- Passport media pack (Multilingual)
Back to top
WCTME V5.7 includes the tools (WSDD), run-times (WEME, Service Management Framework), and middleware (DB2e, MQe, Web Services) for building, testing, and deploying server-managed client software to pervasive devices.
In addition to the comprehensive IDE and functions provided in previous releases, WSDD V5.7 contains new tools that can assist with the extension of existing applications to mobile and pervasive devices.
Micro Environment Toolkit for WebSphere Studio: Facilitates the building, testing, and deployment of server-managed client software. Features include:
- SMF Bundle Development Kit 5.7 can enable device developers to develop applications and services on IBM's implementation of the OSGi Services Platform, called the Service Management Framework (SMF). SMF enables lifecycle management of these applications and services.
- Extension Services 5.7 provides run-time extensions to SMF so device developers can develop enterprise applications and services using industry standards and a familiar programming model in a connected or disconnected environment. Application programming extensions include support for relational data (DB2® Everyplace and Cloudscape), messaging and transactions (MQ Everyplace), Web services, and more, using standard Java APIs. Furthermore, Extension Services include an OSGi Agent that works with the Tivoli® Device Management Server to deploy and manage applications and services on devices.
- Web Services for Extension Services 5.7 provides tools that help device developers create device applications that consume Web services such as news, weather, sports, and other up-to-the-minute content hosted on third-party servers. Developers can also develop device applications that publish Web services.
- Application Tools for Extension Services 5.7 helps enable the development of Web applications that run on devices. These applications run on Extension Services and, therefore, can operate in a connected or disconnected environment.
The Micro Environment Toolkit includes the following features for devices that run Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) 2.0:
- Web Services V5.7 for MIDP can enable device developers to develop MIDP applications that consume Web Services such as news, weather, sports, and other up-to-the-minute content hosted on third-party servers.
- Enterprise MIDP Tools 5.7 can enable device developers to develop Enterprise MIDP applications.
These new tools in WCTME are in addition to ongoing updates and improvements to the already comprehensive IDE productivity features.
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) repository: To facilitate the development of applications in a team environment, an adapter for the standards-based CVS repository is included. Developers can easily download the latest CVS repository from the following Web site and install it on a server. The repository is subject to the applicable terms and conditions.
Unified Emulator Interface (UEI): Emulator support and integration can help speed the compile/deploy cycle and also provide the developer with a view of the application that has been preloaded into the emulator, ready to test. WSDD allows emulators written by device vendors to easily integrate into the development environment using the UEI that is included in WSDD V5.7. Emulators such as the Nokia Developers Suite and the palmOne device emulators can be downloaded to provide the developer with the tools needed to target any one of many devices. Visit
Software updates: Software updates allow updates and additional plug-ins to the IDE via Internet downloads. Software updates apply to both tools and run-times. This greatly enhances the serviceability of WSDD and allows developers to easily stay up to date with the latest enhancements from IBM.
On Target Remote Debug: On Target Remote Debug can allow a developer to deploy an application to a device and remotely debug the application as it runs live on the device. The application is tested in the actual environment in which it will be deployed. This functionality can be critical when deploying applications to millions of devices.
WSDD integration with other WebSphere Studio tools: WSDD can install standalone, or if desired, as a plug-in feature into any of the WebSphere Studio family of application development products. Taking advantage of this flexibility can provide the development team with a comprehensive IDE and integration to the Rational® software configuration management tools, and make it easier to manage end-to-end applications that contain components that can be deployed to both the device and the server.
WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment (WEME) is a Java Powered Runtime Environment that provides the foundation for the deployment of e-business applications to small mobile devices. By using industry standards to combine the portability of Java technology with the power of WebSphere, IBM delivers the convenience of mobile devices to e-business.
J2ME support: WEME has been tested and certified to meet the following J2ME specifications as laid out by the Java Community Process. WEME supports:
- Connected, Limited Device Configuration (CLDC 1.0 and 1.1) and Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP 2.0) for the palmOne Tungsten C and HP iPaQ Pocket PC h5550
- Connected Device Configuration (CDC 1.0_01), Foundation Profile, and Personal Profile for the HP iPaQ Pocket PC h5550 and the Sharp Zaurus SL-6000
WEME is also available on some PDAs, handheld computers, cellular telephones and other embedded devices from other manufacturers. For a list of manufacturers who ship WEME, visit
Middleware enablement: The use of industry standards and middleware enables devices to be connected to many existing e-business applications. By testing middleware and server connectivity, WEME combines the convenience of mobile devices with the power of e-business. When used with other middleware products, many existing enterprise applications can be extended to server-managed mobile and pervasive devices:
- Web services (SOAP) support can help enable access to applications across a wide variety of wireless and wire-line networks.
- Testing with assured messaging software (MQe, JMS) can provide access to assured messaging and financial transactions.
- When used with DB2e, the advanced data management capabilities of DB2 can also be leveraged.
- Applications, middleware, and run-times can be server-managed when used in conjunction with IBM SMF.
IBM has combined the portability of Java technology with open and industry standards to deliver a comprehensive platform for extending many existing business processes onto millions of small devices.
WCTME licensing and use of WEME: WCTME V5.7 includes software needed to develop applications and deploy them to supported devices. The licensing for WCTME V5.7 is structured so customers can acquire the number of licenses needed for their specific development and testing needs, and acquire a different number of licenses, if needed, for the deployment of applications to devices.
The license for WCTME V5.7 includes entitlement to install and use both the WSDD component and the WEME component on a processor. Each WCTME processor license also includes entitlement to use WEME for internal development purposes, including the deployment to one device for evaluation and testing purposes. This licensing structure allows a developer to build and test the application using WSDD, then test it on a device such as a PDA.
A separate license for WEME is required for each device on which applications are deployed in a production environment or for commercial purposes. The number of additional WEME licenses that should be acquired depends on the number of devices to which applications are deployed, and whether or not WEME already exists on the devices.
- If WEME does not exist on the device, the appropriate number of WEME licenses must be purchased from IBM or an authorized Business Partner. This is done by ordering the Passport Advantage® license-plus-maintenance part number in a quantity equal to the number of devices to which applications will be deployed.
- If a WEME license has been acquired by the device manufacturer and already exists on the device, applications may be deployed to that device without an additional charge or license.
Licensing example: A company wants to develop some new applications and extend some existing applications to 500 PDAs for their field force. To do this, the company purchases the WCTME processor license-plus-maintenance part number in a quantity equal to the number of development machines their developers will use to build and test the applications. They acquire the WCTME program software via the Passport Advantage media pack or electronic download, then install WCTME on their development machines. They use the WCTME components (WSDD and WEME) to build and test their applications on a PDA. When the company is ready to deploy the applications to their PDAs, they purchase the WEME device license+maintenance part number in a quantity of 500.
For more information about WCTME, WSDD, WEME, other WebSphere Studio products, on demand and e-business, and a variety of topics about pervasive computing and devices, contact your IBM Pervasive Computing representative or authorized Business Partner, or visit the following Web sites
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition V 5.7, as of July 30, 2004, relies on the
underlying support of the device to satisfy the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the
Rehabilitation Act. Programmatic interfaces are defined so that assistive technology can be used
with the product to enable such functions, however the product itself does not supply this function.
Back to top
WCTME V5.7 is a significant part of the IBM Workplace family of products. WCTME can be used on its own, or in conjunction with other IBM device software, such as DB2 Everyplace (DB2e), WebSphere Message Queue Everyplace (MQe), and WebSphere Application Server (WAS), to form an end-to-end device-to-server solution for deploying applications to embedded devices.
WCTME V5.7 packages a new release of WSDD, a member of the WebSphere Studio family of application development products, with a new release of WEME, formerly known as WebSphere Micro Environment (WME). The licensing for WCTME is structured to accommodate the needs of different customer environments.
WCTME V5.7 is also available for enterprises and ISVs who wish to deploy sever-managed client software to laptop computers or desktop systems utilizing J2SE technology, or on PDAs that utilize J2ME technology, such as the HP iPAQ or Sharp Zaurus. For more information, contact your IBM Pervasive Computing specialist.
Customers with current Passport Advantage software maintenance who purchased earlier releases of WSDD via Passport Advantage are eligible to upgrade to WCTME V5.7 for no additional charge, according to the terms of their Passport Advantage Agreement. Customers who purchased WSDD, WME, or WEME outside of Passport Advantage are not eligible for the no-charge upgrade to WCTME.
To find IBM product announcements and additional product information, visit
The following sites provide information designed for developers and Business Partners:
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 204-026 , dated February 24, 2004.
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No printed publications are shipped with this product. Documentation is
included in softcopy form with the program.
Back to top
Minimum hardware configuration for WCTME V5.7:
- System suitable for running Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP, or Linux Red Hat Pro 8
- Minimum of an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz processor or equivalent (1.0 GHz recommended)
- 512 MB RAM (768 MB recommended)
- A display adapter setting of at least 256 colors and 800 x 600 resolution, or higher (1024 x 768 resolution recommended)
- 250 MB (minimum install of IDE) to 750 MB (maximum install) plus sufficient free disk space for client IDE and development version of WebSphere® Everyplace Micro Environment virtual machine, and additional disk space for development resources
- For installation, an additional 200 MB temporary space on the drive specified in your user TMP environment variable
- TCP/IP communication configured and running
- For Windows systems: Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP, and Windows Internet Explorer 5.5 with Service Pack 1, or later
- For Linux systems: Red Hat Linux Pro 8
The IDE is delivered as a Java program, running on WEME on the developer workstation.
Applications developed with WSDD need a J2ME Java Powered Runtime Environment deployed to the device. Some devices, such as selected palmOne devices, are shipped with the run-time (WEME) included. The Nokia Development Suite Integration (1.1 and 2.0) is shipped with its own run-time environment for development, and the production environment ships on the Nokia devices. For other devices, IBM includes WEME in WCTME.
Language considerations and limitations
- Initially WCTME V5.7 will be available only in English via Passport Advantage electronic download. Shortly thereafter, the program will be modified to support multiple languages. The modified release will be available via Passport Advantage electronic download and on CDs in a media pack.
- In addition to English, the following languages are included: Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Traditional Chinese.
- All of the languages are contained on the same program CDs which are available worldwide. Language is selected at the time of installation.
- Service and technical assistance is provided in the countries that use the language. For example, WCTME in Spanish is supported in Spain not supported in the U.S.
WCTME V5.7 runs on selected Windows and Linux systems, therefore is subject to the language
enablement provided by these platforms. These include:
- Palm Tungsten C supports only English, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, German, and Spanish.
- Sharp Zaurus supports only English and Japanese.
Device considerations and limitations
- The design of some devices may limit the WCTME capabilities that can be used by the device. Not all devices can support all of the functions offered by WCTME.
- IBM cannot guarantee that all devices will work correctly due to differences in manufacturing, configuration and pre-loaded device software.
- Some supported devices are available directly from the device manufacturer. See www.ibm.com/embedded for more information.
- Availability of devices and the level of device support may change over time based on device manufacturers actions. Some devices may go out of support; new devices may be added.
- If you encounter a problem on a device that is no longer supported by the manufacturer or service provider, IBM, at its discretion, will determine if a fix can be provided.
For additional information or help determining device support, contact your IBM representative.
Limitations: In addition to the considerations and limitations shown above, refer to the Terms and conditions section of this announcement. Also refer to the IBM licensing agreement and license information documents that are associated with WCTME V5.7.
Customer responsibilities: Customers are responsible for acquiring any systems requirements and software products that may be needed for their specific environments. They are also responsible for implementing any security measures that are appropriate for their organizations.
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support, is included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity, with voice and electronic access into IBM support organizations.
Packaging: WCTME V5.7 is available via Passport Advantage electronic download and on CD-ROMs in a Passport Advantage media pack. No printed publications or manuals are included, but documentation is available in softcopy with the program software and may be printed by the customer.
When downloaded from a Web site, the Program contains the applicable IBM license agreement and licensing information (LI). The LI will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. The LI will be stored in a file such as LICENSE.TXT for future reference.
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
Licensed function title Product group Product category Workplace Client IBM Pervasive WebSphere Studio Technology Micro Computing Division Device Developer Edition WebSphere Everyplace IBM Pervasive WebSphere Studio Micro Environment Computing Division Device Developer
WCTME licensing is based on processor installs.
- There is a one-time charge for a license to install WCTME on one processor.
- In addition to the entitlement to use the WSDD component, the WCTME processor license includes the right to use the WEME portion of the program for evaluation and internal purposes, and to deploy applications to one device for testing purposes.
- The WCTME license-plus-maintenance part number should be ordered in a quantity equal to the number of processors on which the WCTME program will be installed. The typical users of WCTME are software developers.
Additional licensing, based on devices, is available for WEME. This WEME license is required for each device on which applications are deployed when in a production environment or for commercial purposes.
- There is a one-time charge for a WEME license that gives entitlement to deploy an application to a device.
The WEME license-plus-maintenance part number should be ordered in a quantity equal to the number of
devices to which applications will be deployed.
Exception: Some device manufacturers include WEME in selected devices. For these devices, the customer is not required to purchase an additional WEME license.
The WCTME program software, including both the WSDD and WEME components, is available via Passport Advantage electronic download. The multilingual release will also be available on a Passport Advantage media pack. There is not a separate media pack for WEME.
Passport Advantage program licenses
Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition V5.7
Part Description number WORKPLACE CLIENT TECHNOLOGY MICRO EDITION Workplace Client Tech, ME Per D53UPLL Processor License & SW Maintenance 12 Months Workplace Client Tech, ME Per E01AVLL Processor SW Maintenance Annual Renewal Workplace Client Tech, ME Per D53UQLL Processor SW Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Mo WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MICRO ENVIRONMENT WebSphere Everyplace ME D53URLL Device(s) License & SW Maintenance 12 Months WebSphere Everyplace ME E01AWLL Device(s) SW Maintenance Annual Renewal WebSphere Everyplace ME D53USLL Device(s) SW Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Months
Passport Advantage supply
Program name/ Part description number WORKPLACE CLIENT TECH, ME V5.7.1 Media Pack Multilingual (English BK06LML International, French, Korean, Chinese -- Simplified, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, Italian) Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux for x86Series Intel-based servers CD-ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard V5.7.1
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the product listed below are entitled to receive the media pack for WCTME V5.7.
Entitled maintenance offerings Media packs Part description description number WebSphere Studio Workplace Client BK06LML Device Developer Tech, ME Processor Multilingual (English International, French, Korean, Chinese -- Simplified, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, Italian) Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux for x86Series Intel-based servers CD-ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
This product is only available from IBM via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement (IPLA). Proofs of Entitlement are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
License information (LI) form numbers
Program Form Program name number number Workplace Client 5724-D48 L-KMIR-5XLV92 Technology, L-KMIR-5ZBQ5Z Micro Edition V5.7
Limited warranty: Yes
Warranty: This program has warranty for a minimum of one year from acquisition from IBM or authorized IBM Business Partner. The warranty provided to the customer, for at least one year from acquisition, is access to databases (read Web sites) for program information and FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or obtain otherwise and install at leisure.
Program technical support: Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. Customers will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program, return it within 30 days from the invoice date, to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it, for a refund. This applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: Yes
Volume orders (IVO): No
Passport Advantage applies: Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
Usage restriction: Yes
IBM Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition (the program) includes other software products and components. The program and some of these components may include unique terms and conditions, in addition to the terms and conditions of the IPLA and IBM Passport Advantage.
Unique terms and conditions are included in the LI that is provided with the program. On or near the same date as the planned availability of the program, the basic IBM licensing agreements and the LI for the program will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
If purchased outside of Passport Advantage, the program is not warranted, support is not provided, and the terms of the IPLA, LI, and Passport Advantage do not apply.
IBM Operational Support Services Support line: No
Other support: Passport Advantage
iSeries software subscription applies:
Back to top
Prices and charge information are available through IBM Passport Advantage.
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM Business Partner or IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Back to top